Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Does the Media Make Things Worse ?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

Haymaker

Haymaker
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I read the paper daily but avoid news via tv and have my entire adult life.....I watch zero news oriented shows, political shows, network news etc......it's Posted Imageing over hyped garbage that morons rely on, The printed newspaper is going away but a nice way to avoid the hyper sensationalized bullshit that is looped for hours, you spend some quality time in the morning with your paper and get allege news you need

Haymaker

Haymaker
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I hate autocorrect

KneesInTheBreeze

KneesInTheBreeze

KneesInTheBreeze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Tooooooo much.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sometimes mistaken for the Legendary Geaux

Scream

Scream
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I love when this thread appears above "You tell me" in my recent news feed. Makes me happy the way only simple things can.

Posted Image

"Embrace the might of my tiny pecker!" - WadeWilson in all his glory

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostCrimsoNation713, on 17 December 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

Columbine....Aurora.....Virginia Tech.....Sandy Hooks.....

Does the mediia really need to cover this stuff in the manner they do. If I knew or had a loved one killed, I don't think I'd appreciate the media going over this stuff ad nauseum and making these over the top titles they're coming up with. Personally, I'm sick of it.

To me I think we have gotten away from jut reporting the news. Now there are so many opinions mixed in with the facts you can't really tell what is the truth and what is someones agenda.

We don't have anyone now that comes on and just reports the facts. Everyone has a spin on the way they look at things.

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This is just speculation, but I think the media could be to blame for the escalating grotesque nature of these crimes.  They plaster the killers' names and pictures everywhere until they achieve notoriety. And then they sensationalize the shit out of everything.

I can name the Columbine killers, but can't think of a single victim off the top of my head....that tells you something.  And the next killer will try to outdo the Newtown shooter so that he becomes more notorious in the media. It's sickening.
Posted Image

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHerschel Talker, on 18 December 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

This is just speculation, but I think the media could be to blame for the escalating grotesque nature of these crimes.  They plaster the killers' names and pictures everywhere until they achieve notoriety. And then they sensationalize the shit out of everything.

I can name the Columbine killers, but can't think of a single victim off the top of my head....that tells you something.  And the next killer will try to outdo the Newtown shooter so that he becomes more notorious in the media. It's sickening.
I read where Lanza had enough ammo to kill the entire school if the police hadn't gotten there.
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yes.  Plain and simple.  Yes.

FIRE EVERYONE

rwspear

rwspear

game recognize game and you lookin kinda unfamiliar right now

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
are you kidding me? is this a serious thread?

kill your tv.

The Doctor

The Doctor

Wibbly Wobbley Timey Wimey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think the media makes things worse in a sense, but its only because they are catering to what the population wants. We as a people (not people on this site, but as a culture) are fascinated by these murderers. What makes them tick, what their motive is, what their history is, how they planned the murders. Alot of people make a lot of money just writing about serial killers. I don't think the media is necessarily the problem, they just produce what makes money and ratings.

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHothotz, on 18 December 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

To me I think we have gotten away from jut reporting the news. Now there are so many opinions mixed in with the facts you can't really tell what is the truth and what is someones agenda.

We don't have anyone now that comes on and just reports the facts. Everyone has a spin on the way they look at things.

Excellent post and sadly true.

FIRE EVERYONE

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostThe Doctor, on 18 December 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

I think the media makes things worse in a sense, but its only because they are catering to what the population wants. We as a people (not people on this site, but as a culture) are fascinated by these murderers. What makes them tick, what their motive is, what their history is, how they planned the murders. Alot of people make a lot of money just writing about serial killers. I don't think the media is necessarily the problem, they just produce what makes money and ratings.

Another good point.  I think its a combination of it all.  Sensationalized stuff sells and drives ratings.

It kills me that the media always wants a motive and to know "why".  Sometimes there are not answers, but don't tell them that. Don't tell them that sometimes, people are just evil and thats the only explanation.  Quit bringing six degrees of Kevin Bacon into every terrible story trying to play Sherlock freaking Holmes.  Let the police do their work and REPORT.

FIRE EVERYONE

Large Marge

Large Marge

Ask me about Loom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Sensationalism, exaggeration, embellishment, straight up lying. It's what the media does;
Posted Image

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan

Hail State!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think that the media helps to make this thing occur more often. The shooter knows that if he goes out and has a mass shooting, he is going to have his couple weeks of fame. If they didn't get all of the fame, there would be some people that wouldn't do it.

KneesInTheBreeze

KneesInTheBreeze

KneesInTheBreeze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sometimes mistaken for the Legendary Geaux