Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Alabama's Jeremy Pruitt hired as Florida State's new defensive coordinator

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Just days after losing to instate rival Florida (37-26), the Seminoles lost defensive coordinator Mark Stoops. The defensive mastermind jumped at the opportunity to become a head coach for the first time in the SEC at Kentucky.
Jimbo Fisher was tasked with the hard role in filling Mark Stoops position. Jimbo has filled the role by stealing his new defensive coordinator from his former boss and mentor Nick Saban. Jimbo has hired Jeremy Pruitt as Florida State’s new defensive coordinator.
Pruitt has been credited with being an outstanding recruiter; he is young and relates to kids incredibly well. He is rumored to own lower Alabama and the Florida panhandle for Nick Saban’s Crimson Tide. This is extremely beneficial to Florida State recruiting.
Pruitt’s resume on the other hand is not extensive compared to others in this respected position. Pruitt has no experience as a defensive coordinator in college or pro football. Most of his coaching experience is at the high school level, he coached at this level for almost a decade until he was hired at Alabama in 2007. Pruitt brought his experience of playing defensive back for Middle Tennessee and Alabama.
In 2007 he was hired by Alabama as “director of player development”. Some may argue this isn’t a coaching position and only it comes with limited coaching duties. In 2010 he was then promoted to Alabama’s defensive back coach.
This is an incredibly large jump in positions. The position hire was approved by Nick Saban who must have had faith in Pruitt’s coaching abilities. Saban isn’t going to hand this position to anyone and has proved he knows a thing or two about NCAA football.
The proof is also in Alabama’s defense, the defense has been great since Pruitt’s hire, but it was great before he filled the role.
The decision to hire a defensive coordinator with no college or pro coaching skills is incredibly risky. If the defensive productivity remains the same or increases, Jimbo will look brilliant.
If there is any decrease in defensive productivity,  Jimbo will once again face disapproval for his decisions. Fisher has already taken criticism for choices he has made in the past and present i.e., still performing all play-calling duties and not hiring an Offensive Coordinator from the outside. Jimbo’s play-calling has come under fire several times this season; the offense has been labeled as “monotonous” and “predictable”.
Pruitt will take over a roster filled with defensive talent at every position. If he fails fans will only look at Jimbo Fisher.

Posted Image

Georgia Bulldogs 5-1 (3-1)

Posted Image

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Finally some good news for FSU

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Well this sucks for recruiting, the coaching was solid but replaceable. I could of seen him being promoted to the DC if Kirby left actually, so this makes sense.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgfan4life24, on 17 December 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Finally some good news for FSU

Are you kidding?
They are all shitting themselves right now.
This means they couldn't get anyone better.
LMAO

And they hired Tennessee leftovers.

They could work out, but the fact that F$U just took huge risks on the side of the ball that their head coach has no expertise in, is awesome.

jthomas666

jthomas666

This Space for Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 17 December 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well this sucks for recruiting, the coaching was solid but replaceable. I could of seen him being promoted to the DC if Kirby left actually,
That was, in fact, the plan.

It is a gamble of sorts--Pruitt was a high school coach not long ago--but If Saban was prepared to make him DC at Bama, it's hard to criticize Fisher.

Edited by jthomas666, 17 December 2012 - 02:30 PM.

Posted Image

Testimonials:

"very fair, very funny, very condemnatory"  -- Harlan Ellison
"That dumbass with the Kermit avatar" -- razorhead

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjthomas666, on 17 December 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

That was, in fact, the plan.

It is a gamble of sorts--Pruitt was a high school coach not long ago--but If Saban was prepared to make him DC at Bama, it's hard to criticize Fisher.

It's of course different to be a DC under Saban and in his case on his own. But this is the ACC and it's possible he's learned a lot under him. I wouldn't bet money on it though.

Posted Image

jthomas666

jthomas666

This Space for Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 17 December 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

It's of course different to be a DC under Saban and in his case on his own. But this is the ACC and it's possible he's learned a lot under him. I wouldn't bet money on it though.
True enough.  Im looking forward to seeing who Saban brings on board.  We need someone who can help Hubbard unleash his inner Upshaw.
Posted Image

Testimonials:

"very fair, very funny, very condemnatory"  -- Harlan Ellison
"That dumbass with the Kermit avatar" -- razorhead

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 17 December 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

My thoughts exactly.
He coud be a Malzahn or Morris.

Or....

Posted Image

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 17 December 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Are you kidding?
They are all shitting themselves right now.
This means they couldn't get anyone better.
LMAO

And they hired Tennessee leftovers.

They could work out, but the fact that F$U just took huge risks on the side of the ball that their head coach has no expertise in, is awesome.

IDK how hes gonna work out but if has to be spirit lifting for FSU at this point. To this point all they have heard about is departures.  Will have ot see how this plays out. Any coach from Bama is better than what they got now...which was nothing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgfan4life24, on 17 December 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

IDK how hes gonna work out but if has to be spirit lifting for FSU at this point. To this point all they have heard about is departures.  Will have ot see how this plays out. Any coach from Bama is better than what they got now...which was nothing.

Yea, I get that.
They all were still depressed that Ellis Johnson wouldn't even interview with them, so anything other than a huge name would be .... meh.

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 17 December 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

Yea, I get that.
They all were still depressed that Ellis Johnson wouldn't even interview with them, so anything other than a huge name would be .... meh.

Lol. Not sure how to peg them but i dont see them being very good next year. Trickett or Jameison will be the QB and neither have much seat time.  Gonna be alotta bitching around my house come next year.. luckily my Dawgs will be kicking ass hopefully.

Posted Image

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgfan4life24, on 17 December 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Lol. Not sure how to peg them but i dont see them being very good next year. Trickett or Jameison will be the QB and neither have much seat time.  Gonna be alotta bitching around my house come next year.. luckily my Dawgs will be kicking ass hopefully.

They are fecked for next year.
Were supposed to win the Natty this year with all the seniors, weakest schedule they've possibly ever had, and Year 3 in Jimbo's "process".

They lose A LOT.
No preseason Top10 ranking for them next season.

Although I really won't be surprised if Trickett turns out to be a better QB than E.J. ever was.

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 17 December 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

They are fecked for next year.
Were supposed to win the Natty this year with all the seniors, weakest schedule they've possibly ever had, and Year 3 in Jimbo's "process".

They lose A LOT.
No preseason Top10 ranking for them next season.

Although I really won't be surprised if Trickett turns out to be a better QB than E.J. ever was.

Yea my fiancee gonna be one pissed off blondie. She knows it too. Trickett is just small which would worry me and hes got a long release on deep balls due to a lack of arm strength. His dad is the OL coach and their OL has been less than impressive this year.  FSU only survived most of the year on their D.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postjthomas666, on 17 December 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

True enough.  Im looking forward to seeing who Saban brings on board.  We need someone who can help Hubbard unleash his inner Upshaw.
I'm stealing this line and claiming it for my own.
After everything is said and done, more is said than done. - Noah

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgfan4life24, on 17 December 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

Yea my fiancee gonna be one pissed off blondie. She knows it too. Trickett is just small which would worry me and hes got a long release on deep balls due to a lack of arm strength. His dad is the OL coach and their OL has been less than impressive this year.  FSU only survived most of the year on their D  easy ass schedule.

Fify