Ellis Johnson to be Auburn's DC - Page 6 - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com - Page 6

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

Ellis Johnson to be Auburn's DC

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

MrGamecockFan

MrGamecockFan
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbmccall, on 09 December 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

Nothing for you to get. Sure I didn't want Ellis to leave, but I never said that I was dying to get him back either. No one knows if Ward will be a good defensive coordinator yet, that takes a few seasons and then sit back and look at the overall product.

I could have used better terminology than specifically "busted coverage", Its easy enough to forget about Matthews 78-yard TD reception until you realize that there was an absolutely awful play call to send 8 blitzing on that last Vandy play and a lucky no call to go our way or things could have gone differently at the end. You have the right to believe anything you want to, but when Spurrier questions the play call, I don't feel so bad doing so either. Tennesse was another absolute stinker of a defensive showing. Some of that had to do with Tennessee having a good passing game, the rest had to do with not having safeties over the top so when Jimmy Legree trips over his own feet and can't cover his man, there is at least a guy back there for backup.

One bonus that Ward has over Johnson is that he is a players coach and keeps close relationships with the players, CEJ was more of a thinker and game-planner than a talker and friend to the players. Another bonus is that we are getting more picks than we normally do. But being overly aggressive always has its drawbacks is all I'm saying.

with all the pressure he had at the beginning of this season, he did well this, so im not sure what you mean.  that said, im sure im not alone in this, but as much as i liked ellis, im really enjoying the presence ward brings, much more so than i ever did with ellis!
Go Cocks!!!

2012 Homer of the Year 1st Loser (AKA Runner-Up)

JohnRambo

JohnRambo

The Ice-Cream Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMrGamecockFan, on 10 December 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

with all the pressure he had at the beginning of this season, he did well this, so im not sure what you mean.  that said, im sure im not alone in this, but as much as i liked ellis, im really enjoying the presence ward brings, much more so than i ever did with ellis!

It takes more than one season to show how good you are. Whether coordinator or any other type of coach. Thats all Im saying.

In the end this is about Auburn. Give them a couple years to get the right personnel for the 425, and I believe EJ will do good things there.

Edited by bmccall, 10 December 2012 - 09:23 AM.

Superman never made any money

Saving the world from Solomon Grundy

And sometimes I despair the world will never see another man

Like him

MrGamecockFan

MrGamecockFan
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbmccall, on 10 December 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

It takes more than one season to show how good you are. Whether coordinator or any other type of coach. Thats all Im saying.

In the end this is about Auburn. Give them a couple years to get the right personnel for the 425, and I believe EJ will do good things there.

i never said it wasnt a good hire, i just think we took a step up as far as our defensive mastermind is concerned...
Go Cocks!!!

2012 Homer of the Year 1st Loser (AKA Runner-Up)