Hourly employee question. - Page 2 - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com - Page 2

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Hourly employee question.

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Hourly employee question. (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Which would you rather have as a hourly employee

1. A bonus at the end of the year (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. A raise that equals the bonus distributed through out the year (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. A small bonus with a small distributed through out the year (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

JohnRambo

JohnRambo

The Ice-Cream Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
How 'bout just give me a job.

Superman never made any money

Saving the world from Solomon Grundy

And sometimes I despair the world will never see another man

Like him

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHothotz, on 05 December 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

Now make sure to put this into perspective. Most of these guys and girls only make 9.00 hr. With the managers making 13.00

I'd give them the bonus since most are probably not long term at these wages.And it could help lure the next crop.

Just a question.Do your managers have degrees or are they trained on site.13.00 seems pretty low for managers.I'm not trying to bash you.just curious.

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
GR's proposal is exactly how bonuses are structured in my company. If you leave early, tough shit.

Edited by Herschel Talker, 05 December 2012 - 07:29 PM.

Posted Image

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHerschel Talker, on 05 December 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

Is it too complicated to give them the choice?
I don't want the headache of taking notes. I am only going to do it one way and want it to be a surprise. That why u guys are the guinea pigs.

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostL.A.Hog, on 05 December 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

I'd give them the bonus since most are probably not long term at these wages.And it could help lure the next crop.

Just a question.Do your managers have degrees or are they trained on site.13.00 seems pretty low for managers.I'm not trying to bash you.just curious.

My "Managers" are just the people I trust the most to handle taking money to and from the bank and dealing with customer problems when I am not available and making sure the store stay clean and on task.

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGoldenRebel, on 05 December 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

They are hourly so most likely your employee turnover is high.  Nobody is going to be an hourly guy under you 10 years.  So a performance raise really doesn't benefit them.  However it gives you leverage and is a good idea from the employer standpoint.  A bonus would be better for them.  Split it into.  One bonus for company performance.  One for  individual performance.  Have a set amount per control.  That way it doesn't  kill your bottom line but it also promotes high individual effort and results.  You have to set it up where it rewards them but also rewards your company.

Thats what i'm leaning towards after reading these comments. I think halving it will satisfy everyone and I won't take the full hit at once.

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
You seem to be going about it in a fair way.  My wife is having trouble with catty coworkers that claim credit for anything they may have had a hand in.  The boss lady is inconsistent and seems to play favorites depending on her mood.  OMG she needs a different job.  Big bonuses are coming down.  One wants to use hers to buy a car.  There is a wide range of vatiability on these, but they are not performance or seniority based.  They seem to undercut each other daily.

If I had a choice I'd take the raise.  I think the bonus would go further to promote the mood at work though.  I got a $50 bonus from my boss one Christmas when I was a bicycle mechanic in college, it wasn't much but it seemed more like the owner gave a shat about me personally than if he had somehow realized that I was worth a little more.  I like splitting it up cash/raise.

Posted Image

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECorBust, on 05 December 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

You seem to be going about it in a fair way.  My wife is having trouble with catty coworkers that claim credit for anything they may have had a hand in.  The boss lady is inconsistent and seems to play favorites depending on her mood.  OMG she needs a different job.  Big bonuses are coming down.  One wants to use hers to buy a car.  There is a wide range of vatiability on these, but they are not performance or seniority based.  They seem to undercut each other daily.

If I had a choice I'd take the raise.  I think the bonus would go further to promote the mood at work though.  I got a $50 bonus from my boss one Christmas when I was a bicycle mechanic in college, it wasn't much but it seemed more like the owner gave a shat about me personally than if he had somehow realized that I was worth a little more.  I like splitting it up cash/raise.
Thank you for the imput.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHothotz, on 05 December 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

I don't want the headache of taking notes. I am only going to do it one way and want it to be a surprise. That why u guys are the guinea pigs.
Have the employee's been there all year? Reason I'm asking is because it may not be fair for someone who's been there a month getting the same bonus as someone who's been there all year.

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 05 December 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Have the employee's been there all year? Reason I'm asking is because it may not be fair for someone who's been there a month getting the same bonus as someone who's been there all year.
Most of my people stay with me for a good while. I have very low turnover in employees. Most are highschool to college kids who jut work part time for a little cash and being able to take games home and play for free.