Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Looking for a Shotgun

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcarwwest, on 31 December 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

me, my brother-in-law and father-in-law only talked about hunting all weekend...i think me and my father-in-law are going to go deer hunting next week...the more i talk about it and shoot, the more i think i'll get into it...the bow was actually the first hunting weapon i used on a half-normal basis so i think my goal is the get good enough with the bow to kill me some deer because i love deer meat....

Sounds like a great fratenizing time.  Outdoor sports are fun like that.  I would recommend hunting with a shotgun though.  In the brush you can still get him with double ought buckshot and you can even try a running shot as a novice.  Deer spook easy so getting the bow drawn, the deer in range and etc takes a lot more practice than sliding off the safety and squeezing off a shot.  You can take any game animal with a shotgun, they are great first hunting weapons.  I killed my first deer at age 11 with a Mossberg 500.  

Hunting with archery is pretty difficult unless they come right down to you.  Then you either have to hold at full draw until you get a shot or draw while they are nearby.  Its hard enough just getting to see the SOBs.  You could learn to shoot a rifle in a week, but being confident enough to make a kill shot may take awhile.

Posted Image

carwwest

carwwest

Cowbell Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECorBust, on 01 January 2013 - 12:11 AM, said:

Sounds like a great fratenizing time.  Outdoor sports are fun like that.  I would recommend hunting with a shotgun though.  In the brush you can still get him with double ought buckshot and you can even try a running shot as a novice.  Deer spook easy so getting the bow drawn, the deer in range and etc takes a lot more practice than sliding off the safety and squeezing off a shot.  You can take any game animal with a shotgun, they are great first hunting weapons.  I killed my first deer at age 11 with a Mossberg 500.  

Hunting with archery is pretty difficult unless they come right down to you.  Then you either have to hold at full draw until you get a shot or draw while they are nearby.  Its hard enough just getting to see the SOBs.  You could learn to shoot a rifle in a week, but being confident enough to make a kill shot may take awhile.
yeah thats why i want to work my way to it...i couldnt kill a deer with a bow if my life depended on it right now...but i like the idea of working my way to it...but yeah, if i can hunt deer, duck, and even dove with one gun, that would be right up my ally until i get better...

my buddy said i should also invest in a pattern master...says i can hunt whatever i want to with it...but right now, i got him and my father-in-law looking for guns for me...in my price range, i feel like the 870 and mossberg are the ones i'm looking at the most...

Posted Image

GTHOM

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think I want to trade my Mossberg 500 for an 870.  I want to get the 7+1 mag capacity.

Posted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcarwwest, on 01 January 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

yeah thats why i want to work my way to it...i couldnt kill a deer with a bow if my life depended on it right now...but i like the idea of working my way to it...but yeah, if i can hunt deer, duck, and even dove with one gun, that would be right up my ally until i get better...

my buddy said i should also invest in a pattern master...says i can hunt whatever i want to with it...but right now, i got him and my father-in-law looking for guns for me...in my price range, i feel like the 870 and mossberg are the ones i'm looking at the most...

you can get a marlin 308 with scope for $300. eventually buy a better scope but the piss poor scopes of today are as good as the good ones 10 to 15 years ago so don't let it bother you. after that $300 more gets you either the 870 or the stoeger o/u. one rifle one shotgun and you are doing all you mentioned for $600. next pick up a marlin 22. put the cheaper scope from your 308 on it. very economical 22. i think i bought mine for $130. now you are squirrel and snake hunting. now you are roughly up to $750, hunting anything and your home owners insurance will cover that much on guns without buying added gun insurance if you get robbed.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

ARfanNmem

ARfanNmem
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Excellent strategy bbqit. 308 is very versatile.

I bought a stoeger 3500 for $650 last fall for duck/all purpose and I love it, shoots everything, comes with 4 chokes with very little recoil.

Also I'd like to add a 22mag to my collection.

Bulleit

Bulleit

been Up All Night

• Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
870 or Benelli Supernova are best for beginners. Stoegers are pretty good. They use the same firing system as Benelli which is a plus. Always been a huge fan of the Wingmaster though.

I completely disagree with all this talk about Mossberg, they're just not solid. A lot of people seem to be won over by the aggressive looks of Mossberg.

Browning makes some great OU's, but they are very expensive are harder to maintain. Stoeger has a OU called the Condor or something close to it that I've heard good things about.

View PostSECats, on 09 January 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

UK will finish above UT, Vandy and Mizzou...I'll bet my SECTalk account on it.

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Chalk loved his damn Red Label O/U

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBulleit, on 04 January 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

870 or Benelli Supernova are best for beginners. Stoegers are pretty good. They use the same firing system as Benelli which is a plus. Always been a huge fan of the Wingmaster though.

I completely disagree with all this talk about Mossberg, they're just not solid. A lot of people seem to be won over by the aggressive looks of Mossberg.

Browning makes some great OU's, but they are very expensive are harder to maintain. Stoeger has a OU called the Condor or something close to it that I've heard good things about.

got the condor for duck hunting. its great. btw benelli bought stoeger is why the mechanism is similar. used a wingmaster from when i was 15 till 35. then got a browning bps. loved that gun but damn it was heavy. it being heavy is why i bought the condor.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU