Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

SEC Power Rankings - Post-season

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
1. Alabama - Any questions? Alabama eliminates all detractors this season, as they play again for the national championship, but this time having legitimately won their division and the SECCG. It was a war in Atlanta, but at the end the Tide were victorious, and stand at the top yet once more. One hurdle remains - #1 Notre Dame - to their second consecutive National Championship.

2. Georgia - if there were any out there who questioned the legitimacy of this Bulldog team, those questions were likely answered. Georgia lost on Saturday night, but the effort put forth was unquestionably championship-caliber. UGA stood toe to toe with the top program in college football and traded punches to the last second of the contest. For the Bulldogs, coming up four yards short of their ultimate goal was a heartbreaking defeat. But going forward, most Georgia fans feel pretty good at the direction the program Mark Richt is taking the program.. The Bulldogs will look to finish strong to put themselves in good position next pre-season with a victory over #16 Nebraska.

3. Florida - For the Gators, a Sugar Bowl bid will be the reward for their fine season in which they accomplished more than most thought they would in a year where their offense struggled at times. Outstanding defensive play and no frills physical run play were the keys to their 11 win season, and in the end, that's what this conference is about. The Gators probably won't be tested by Louisville in the Sugar Bowl.

4.  LSU - Favorites to start the year, the Tigers couldn't quite overcome some of their losses on the defensive side of the ball and achieve the expectations that were set for them. But despite that, still a top 10 team that could beat most teams in the country. Zach Mettenberger has room to improve, which is a plus. Tigers could end the season with positive momentum with a thrashing of Clemson in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.

5. Texas A&M - It seems almost wrong to put the only team that beat Alabama this low, but somebody has to go here. Aggie fans have to wonder how things would have worked out if they had an easier opponent in week 2 of the season than Florida. Still, remarkable inaugural season for this team and for Johnny Manziel, who is probably a lock to win the Heisman, and the Aggies get to showcase him in the Cotton Bowl versus old foe Oklahoma.

6. South Carolina - Another strong season for Spurrier's Gamecocks, just not quite good enough. A lack of consistency hurt this team more than anything this season. There were times they looked like the best team in the conference and times when they looked like a different team altogether. But again, another top 10 SEC team, 5th in their own conference. Gamecocks could have won two other BCS conferences with this team - just not the SEC. I should note that I'd have the Gamecocks another spot up if they still had Lattimore healthy right now. Without him I have them one spot lower.

7. Vanderbilt - Highlighting the "best of the rest" category are the somewhat surprising Vanderbilt Commodores. James Franklin has earned a rightful share of respect for leading Vandy to an 8-4 victory and the Music City Bowl. He says he'll be at Vandy for a long time - but will bigger names come calling if he keeps this up?

8. Ole Miss - I thought Hugh Freeze should have been seriously considered as coach of the year. Most considered Ole Miss a long shot to win more than 2-3 games this year, and none had them winning any conference games. Yet they finish 6-6, with three SEC wins, an Egg Bowl victory and headed to a bowl game! You've got to respect what they did with what most called a "bare cupboard" in Oxford.

9. Mississippi State - For most Bully fans, this season was a bit unsatisfying. They steamed through the early part of their schedule without much trouble but just didn't look impressive very often in the second half. 8-4 isn't a bad season, but dropping four of their last five games isn't going to make anyone in Starkville feel good about next year.

10. Missouri - Not the campaign the Tigers wanted in year one of the SEC, but a learning experience no doubt. Mizzou has already let their OC resign and will no doubt look to build an offense next year that can keep them competitive in 2013.

11. Arkansas - Hog fans are grateful this season is over and that they can now look forward to seeing what new coach Bret Bielema will have in store for them next year.

12. Tennessee - A disappointing year for Tennessee fans who believe that offensively they'd have enough success to possibly get to 8 wins. Instead, a 5-7 overall record is their result and their shopping for a new coach. Exciting times are ahead though, as all new hires bring with them eager anticipation of what's to come.

13. Auburn - It was shocking how far the mighty fell in such a short time, but that's exactly what happened on the Plains. Auburn Tigers, nat'l champs two years ago now winless in the SEC and 3-9 overall. But, they've kicked out Chizik, and re-called Malzahn. Meet the new boss... same as the old boss?

14. Kentucky - You could really interchange these last two. There was nothing good about UK football in 2012, but Cats fans are all looking forward to the new regime under Mark Stoops to see if he can get them competitive in 2013.

Final Thoughts: It's been pretty crazy just how clearly defined the upper and lower tier of the conference was this season. With very few exceptions, the top six has remained isolated from the lower 8 for the majority of the year. I can't remember a time when there was such a drop-off between the top and the bottom, but I can't remember ever a time when six SEC teams finished the season ranked in the BCS top 10, either.

I appreciate you all taking the time to read and comment on these power rankings throughout the season, I know we've had a lot of fun and heated debate with them. I look forward to doing them again next year.

Click here to view the article

Edited by HobnailedBoots, 05 December 2012 - 03:27 PM.

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Swap LSU & aTm & I agree
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

JohnRambo

JohnRambo

The Ice-Cream Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Tennessee was the best offensive team in the conference and lead the conference in total offense.

Think about that for a second.

Edited by bmccall, 04 December 2012 - 06:11 PM.

Superman never made any money

Saving the world from Solomon Grundy

And sometimes I despair the world will never see another man

Like him

Formerly known as bmccall

Show Stopper

Show Stopper

I run this show...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbmccall, on 04 December 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

Tennessee was the best offensive team in the conference and lead the conference in total offense.

Think about that for a second.

Kentucky was 6-6 2 years ago when Mike Hartline was the QB and he put up some good numbers and we were one of the top offensive teams in the SEC but consequently we were already DOWN by like 3 TD's when we started to put up the numbers.  Tennessee is probably similar in this route but also probably were turnover prone.
Posted Image

JohnRambo

JohnRambo

The Ice-Cream Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostShow Stopper, on 04 December 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

Kentucky was 6-6 2 years ago when Mike Hartline was the QB and he put up some good numbers and we were one of the top offensive teams in the SEC but consequently we were already DOWN by like 3 TD's when we started to put up the numbers.  Tennessee is probably similar in this route but also probably were turnover prone.

I've watched Tennessee play a lot this year. Their OL was second to possibly only Alabama (if the team wasn't so awful, could have easily took an Alabama slot or two on the OL AA selections). They put up points on us, Georgia, Florida, etc. Much less all who watched this game especially earlier in the season that their receivers had a hard time making wide open catches. I remember a huge one early in the Florida game.

These are good secondaries. Especially Florida and Georgia's secondaries.

Like him

Red Blackman

Red Blackman

Gumpologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Alabama too low.

Georgia too high.

Everything else looks about right.

Posted Image

MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postdcbl, on 04 December 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

Swap LSU & aTm & I agree

They did beat aTm so I am okay with their placement.
Posted Image
Credit: Justin King

Booger

Booger

Gump Humper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If power rankings are based off of the last performance, and a person looks at it with a totally unbiased opinion, then aTm is the undisputed #1.

I'd say,

aTm
Bama
Georgia
Florida
LSU

etc, etc...

Doubt anyone could beat A&M the way they're playing now.

Edited by Booger, 04 December 2012 - 07:00 PM.

When it's 3rd and 10, we shuffle out our secret weapon... he's the only person we ever want calling the next play... some call him the twelfth man.... we call him the whiskey drinker...

kerrigjl

kerrigjl
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Bigger names have come calling. Franklin's at Vandy for the long haul.

ABQAG

ABQAG
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbmccall, on 04 December 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

I've watched Tennessee play a lot this year. Their OL was second to possibly only Alabama (if the team wasn't so awful, could have easily took an Alabama slot or two on the OL AA selections).
These are good secondaries. Especially Florida and Georgia's secondaries.

OL at ATM  has Tenessee beat. Two 1st rounders. The OL is big part of the reason Johnny looked so good.

JohnRambo

JohnRambo

The Ice-Cream Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostABQAG, on 04 December 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

The OL is big part of the reason Johnny looked so good.

Agree to disagree on this

Like him

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This is awesome. We are #8 out of 14 teams with a 6-6 record. Moved up from where we were last sept too.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Kentucky >>> Auburn

My decision based upon the new HC hire.
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I really think people are overvaluing Alabama this year.
They are probably the best team in the country, but they aren't nearly as good as their last two title winners.

2-6 is interchangeable.
I also think it's ridiculous that because Georgia played Bama to the final seconds people think UGA is some powerhouse now.
A&M beat them and they needed a last second drive against LSU to win that one.

Edited by JoeGator, 05 December 2012 - 09:33 AM.

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 05 December 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

I really think people are overvaluing Alabama this year.
They are probably the best team in the country, but they aren't nearly as good as their last two titles winners.

2-6 is interchangeable.
I also think it's ridiculous that because Georgia played Bama to the final seconds people think UGA is some powerhouse now because they came close.
A&M beat them and they needed a last second drive against LSU to win that one.

Sour Grapes. You cannot convince me that Florida should be ahead of UGA. Taking the best team in the nation to the buzzer is the definition of second best lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users