Outback Bowl: Michigan vs. South Carolina - Page 2 - Official Game Threads - SECTalk.com - Page 2

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Outback Bowl: Michigan vs. South Carolina

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
158 replies to this topic

Poll: Michigan vs. South Carolina (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Will Win?

1. Michigan (1 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

2. South Carolina (30 votes [96.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 96.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 03 December 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

Michigan is 8-4, but their 4 losses came to teams with a combined regular-season record of 44-4 (specifically: Alabama, Notre Dame, Nebraska and Ohio State...all were close games except for 'Bama)

They're not a bad team and they are much better than the team that got blown out by Miss. State two years ago.

South Carolina will win, but I don't see it being lopsided. They also have a much different-looking offense than what they had earlier in the year. Devin Gardner has taken over at QB and they've used Denard in more of a flex role as a QB/RB/slot WR. It's not simply a matter of stopping Denard anymore. There's a few more wrinkles to prepare for.

I don't disagree with any of this, but it doesn't really change my mind either.   ND had no faith in Golson when these teams played.   They were slowly building him up, and it was a really ugly game.   I think Rees ended up playing most of that game in the end.

Nebraska and Ohio St. have great records because of the teams they played.  I don't care that the Buckeyes are undefeated...these are not great teams.   I think we would beat either of them.  I absolutely think Georgia and Clemson are better than both of them.

Yes, Gardner is now the QB, but he's not exactly lighting it up.  If anything I think having him back there would be helpful to our pass rush. Plus we have to remember that Trouffaint, their stud RB, is out for the season.  If Denard regains strength in his arm/hand, it will be interesting to see if they use him mostly at QB or RB.

Michigan's only good win on the season is Northwestern who they beat in Ann Arbor 38-31.   Other than that win they only beat teams with 6-6 records or worse.   Teams they beat had a total record of 40-56.

Do I expect a curb-stomping?  Of course not.   But I think it would be a clear upset if Michigan does win this one.
Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"

Large Marge

Large Marge

Ask me about Loom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The Gamecock D is gonna be too much for Michigan. We contained Clemson, which is an infinitely better offense than UM.
Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm not saying Michigan will win. I think USC will. Just don't see a 42-14 browbeating like a lot of folks are predicting.
Posted Image

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

I'm Kind of a Big Deal

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 03 December 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

I'm not saying Michigan will win. I think USC will. Just don't see a 42-14 browbeating like a lot of folks are predicting.

I completely agree. Michigan is not a bad team.

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

MizzouMark

MizzouMark
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Blowout win 31-7
2013 SEC EAST CHAMPS.... M-I-Z!!!!

Posted Image

Coqui

Coqui

Worst Poster 2013

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 03 December 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

Our offense would struggle to put up 42 pts against ITT Tech. I think our defense can hopefully contain UM enough to get the W, though.

34-17 | 29-7 | 34-13 | 27-17 | 31-17

The Homies said "Hov, it aint many of us"

I told 'em "Less is more, n*****s, its plenty of us"

WayzUp

WayzUp

Cynical Optimist

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 03 December 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

Michigan is 8-4, but their 4 losses came to teams with a combined regular-season record of 44-4 (specifically: Alabama, Notre Dame, Nebraska and Ohio State...all were close games except for 'Bama)

They're not a bad team and they are much better than the team that got blown out by Miss. State two years ago.

South Carolina will win, but I don't see it being lopsided. They also have a much different-looking offense than what they had earlier in the year. Devin Gardner has taken over at QB and they've used Denard in more of a flex role as a QB/RB/slot WR. It's not simply a matter of stopping Denard anymore. There's a few more wrinkles to prepare for.
Thing is, Michigan should not be able to run the ball consistently if at all, against us.  Their top RB, Touissant went down with a broken leg a couple weeks or so ago.  They don't have a whole lot of anything behind him...Vincent Smith is average at best...what they've gone to is Denard at RB/slot/diversion guy with Devin Gardner at QB.  Denard has a nerve issue of some sort that keeps him from gripping the ball so while he's always a threat running it, he's one play from being out and/or fumbling the ball on a hit....the kind Swearinger likes to put on people.  Or Clowney.  Or Devin Taylor.

I'm just assuming Connor Shaw will be 100% by 1/1/13 and will be starting for us.  I think that's bad news for Michigan cuz even though Shaw is frustratingly hesitant to throw the damn ball, he does take care of it and he's good at moving the chains and sustaining drives when he is 100%.   And he's actually shown to be a real good passer when he has a clean pocket and time...UM is 85th in the country in sacks.  Not good.

Gardner is athletic but reminds me of a young Byron Leftwich.  Dude can whip it, just not the most accurate at times and when he is on, he gets burned by frequent drops.  Roy Rountree is a good WR but sometimes just disappears from games.  The two receivers I am most concerned about are Gallon and their TE, name escapes me.  

I think keys will be us not turning the ball over and field position.  If we don't turn the ball over and consistently have a short field, we stomp them.  If we don't turn the ball over but have to put long drives together all night, we win a rather tight one till we pull away in the 4th.  If we turn the ball over more than they do and are forced to put long drives together all night, we could easily lose this game.  

All things equal, we're just better than they are...almost across the board and even without Lattimore.  

I see what we did to Nebraska last year, only worse.  
USC:  38
UM:  10

Let me get this straight. We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and will be fined for if we don't, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it but exempts itself from it, signed by a president who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese and financed by a country that's broke.

What could possibly go wrong?

MrGamecockFan

MrGamecockFan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
our defense is something they havent seen the likes of since week 1 when they played alabama, while theyre defense isnt exactly shutting teams down.  i think those facets of the game will be the difference in this game.  weve done better against running teams and with a passing efficiency of 53% give or take, they may be in some serious truble, providing we dont continuously turn the ball over.

that said, im gonna say 31-10 usc (eerily similar to what iowa did to us the last time we played here)...
Go Cocks!!!

2012 Homer of the Year 1st Loser (AKA Runner-Up)

Stefanozz

Stefanozz
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
South Carolina 31
Michigan 24

Close game.. you guys already know it, but Lattimore is missed.
Posted Image

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostStefanozz, on 06 December 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

South Carolina 31
Michigan 24

Close game.. you guys already know it, but Lattimore is missed.

The weird thing is our running game actually improved (statistically) after Lattimore got hurt last season.   Miles has looked pretty good, so I think this year it's more an issue with the O-line and Shaw being slowed with the foot injury.   With a month to rest and prepare, I won't be surprised if our run game looks a lot better in Tampa.
Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"

A10Rebel

A10Rebel
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This game was already over about a month ago.

HBK

HBK
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHoganknows, on 03 December 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

Michigan gets blowed out!!!

"Blowed out"?? And you're a Vandy fan?

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

I'm Kind of a Big Deal

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Per ESPN:

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan has suspended three players, including starting cornerback J.T. Floyd and punter Will Hagerup, from the Outback Bowl against South Carolina for a violation of team rules.

Those two players, along with senior linebacker Brandin Hawthorne, will not travel to Tampa, Fla. for the New Year's Day game against the Gamecocks (No. 10 BCS, No. 11 AP) because of the suspension.

"It is an honor to play football for the University of Michigan and we have high standards and expectations for everyone that represents our program," Michigan coach Brady Hoke said in a statement. "These young men used poor judgment in each circumstance, and these suspensions are teaching moments for our team."

For Floyd and Hawthorne, it also means the end of their Michigan careers. Floyd was a two-year starter at cornerback for Michigan (No. 18 BCS, No. 19 AP), making 179 tackles, 18 pass breakups and three interceptions.

Hawthorne played mostly on special teams, although he saw some time as a linebacker last season. In his career, he made 63 tackles and had one intercept
Hagerup, a junior who was named the Big Ten's punter of the year this season, averaged 45 yards a punt this year with a long of 62 yards. This is the third time in his career Hagerup has been suspended. He was suspended for the 2010 Ohio State game and the first four games of the 2011 season.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I guess that Michigan is already accepting defeat.
Posted Image

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

I'm Kind of a Big Deal

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 16 December 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

I guess that Michigan is already accepting defeat.

Who knows?  If you go the article the comments from Big 10 fans are classic. There is a ton of, if this was an SEC team they wouldn't have suspended them. They are ignoring the fact that we have suspended two players also.

The difference is our starters aren't dumb enough to do something stupid to get suspended for a big game like this.

Posted Image