Jump to content

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.


Nick Saban Believes Georgia Bulldogs Should Have Played in BCS Bowl Game

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1
CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

    I'm an angel in an earth suit

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    19,996
  • Joined:
    Nov 2005
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    6,796
http://fansided.com/...-bcs-bowl-game/



The Georgia Bulldogs played a valiant game on Saturday in what was one of the best games we’ve seen all year long. But they came up short and because of how the BCS system works, they will not be playing in a championship series bowl game. While it’s easy to hand down compliments when you’re sitting on top, Nick Saban is not happy that Georgia won’t be competing in a BCS Bowl.
“I’m going to tell you what, I think it’s a crying shame if Georgia doesn’t go to a BCS bowl,” said Saban, after he led his team to victory over the Bulldogs on Saturday. “They should get to go to a BCS bowl game. They played a tremendous game out there today … and could have won at the end just as soon as us. It came down to the last play. So, I mean, it’s just ridiculous.”
Again, it’s very easy and much more comfortable to make these kinds of comments when you know you’re not the one getting screwed, but it’s still not the worst thing in the world to hear an influential voice in college football bashing the authoritative system in place.
Then again, Saban is a head coach in the SEC so him lobbying hard for three SEC teams in the BCS is easily interpreted as a biased point of view.
“I watch these teams that are 7-5 that are talking about they might go to a BCS game because they won their championship?,” Saban asked incredulously. “Something’s not right here. I don’t know what people think of the SEC… . I just don’t think it’s fair to the Georgia players, coaches and their institution if they don’t go to a BCS game.”
All of this debate will sort of be squashed with the new playoff system that will begin in 2014, but even then the same system will be used to pick the top four teams in the country.
As for the Bulldogs, after the brutal battle on Saturday, Saban’s words are falling on deaf ears as the Bulldogs are looking ahead to their matchup against Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl.
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

#2
HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    43,018
  • Joined:
    Sep 2007
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    8,601
We do deserve to play in a BCS bowl. Unfortunately, the selection process is flawed and has been for some time, so we don't. But we knew that going into our game that it was pretty much all or nothing. Capital One Bowl is the best non-BCS bowl we could have gotten, but it's still a small consolation prize given the stakes of what we were playing for.

Respect to Saban though for saying what he did.

#3
StaringContestYouAndMe

StaringContestYouAndMe
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    5,013
  • Joined:
    Aug 2011
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    2,811
Gotta love that about Saban. He speaks his mind and doesn't give a shit about what anyone thinks.

#4
tennesseegirl

tennesseegirl
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    2,815
  • Joined:
    Sep 2005
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    728
One thing is for sure UGA is going to kick Nebraska's butt!!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image


#5
Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

    More than 200 rushing yards!

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    3,981
  • Joined:
    Sep 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    1,397
In other news, Saban is a giant hypocritical douche.

Obviously UGA along with several other SEC schools are getting screwed out of big games, but where is Saban's "respect" for a Texas A&M team that had the same number of losses as Georgia and beat Alabama as opposed to almost beating them? Where's his "respect" for LSU who came nearly as close as UGA did to beating Alabama? His argument is invalid.

#6
thedruebanks

thedruebanks
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    5,191
  • Joined:
    Aug 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    922
Georgia should be in a BCS bowl

#7
TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    24,694
  • Joined:
    Nov 2008
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    6,483

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 02 December 2012 - 11:43 PM, said:

In other news, Saban is a giant hypocritical douche.

Obviously UGA along with several other SEC schools are getting screwed out of big games, but where is Saban's "respect" for a Texas A&M team that had the same number of losses as Georgia and beat Alabama as opposed to almost beating them? Where's his "respect" for LSU who came nearly as close as UGA did to beating Alabama? His argument is invalid.

LSU lost two games in the regular season, as did A&M.
Posted Image
MARK RICHT MAKES GOOD HIRE, HELL HAS FROZEN OVER

#8
Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

    More than 200 rushing yards!

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    3,981
  • Joined:
    Sep 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    1,397

View PostTheRealBrave, on 02 December 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

LSU lost two games in the regular season, as did A&M.

And y'all lost a total of two games as well. I'm not saying this to knock UGA because UGA does deserve a BCS game. It's just funny to see Saban crying about it when the only reason he's doing it is to promote himself by saying, "These guys almost beat MY team, that makes them so good because they're ALMOST as good as WE are!" Just like last year when he cried about how the best one loss team should make the NC game no matter what (Despite the fact that this year Florida had a better record against a tougher schedule and you don't see Saban clamoring for them to make the NC game over Bama), it was only to serve his own purposes.

He doesn't care about the BCS or UGA, he cares about making himself and Alabama look better.

#9
Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

    More than 200 rushing yards!

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Posts:
    3,981
  • Joined:
    Sep 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    1,397
And just to clarify, I think a coach SHOULD be trying to make his team look better, but it happens to be Saban who happens to coach Alabama and I happen to be an Auburn fan, therefore that makes him a douchebag,

#10
RammaJamma

RammaJamma

    Enjoying the Process

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,353
  • Joined:
    Jun 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,445
Well the BCS is crap but it's what we go by for now and it could get worse especially for the SEC if conference champs are all thats allowed in this playoff bullshat. Georgia played Bama great but so did aTm.... aTm didn't take care of the rest of their season but know what? Georgia didn't either..


I'm not showing Georgia hate but thats just the bottom line... Do I think Georgia is better than Florida or aTm? Yeah I do but losing to Carolina got you this.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

#11
HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    43,018
  • Joined:
    Sep 2007
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    8,601

View PostRammaJamma, on 03 December 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

Well the BCS is crap but it's what we go by for now and it could get worse especially for the SEC if conference champs are all thats allowed in this playoff bullshat. Georgia played Bama great but so did aTm.... aTm didn't take care of the rest of their season but know what? Georgia didn't either..


I'm not showing Georgia hate but thats just the bottom line... Do I think Georgia is better than Florida or aTm? Yeah I do but losing to Carolina got you this.

What the Posted Image are you even talking about? It has nothing to do with the loss to Carolina. Only two teams from any conference can play in a BCS bowl game. We're out.

#12
RammaJamma

RammaJamma

    Enjoying the Process

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,353
  • Joined:
    Jun 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,445

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 03 December 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:



What the Posted Image are you even talking about? It has nothing to do with the loss to Carolina. Only two teams from any conference can play in a BCS bowl game. We're out.

I'm just pointing out you'd have a better argument if you didn't have 2 losses to be ahead of Florida whether you beat them or not.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

#13
RammaJamma

RammaJamma

    Enjoying the Process

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,353
  • Joined:
    Jun 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,445
btw... @HobnailedBoots Eddie Lacy is still running.....


Lol you talked alot shit dude I'm gonna let you slide and just stick to golf with ya.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

#14
cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    17,334
  • Joined:
    Dec 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    13,518

View PostNeil Caudle is Superman, on 03 December 2012 - 12:00 AM, said:



And y'all lost a total of two games as well. I'm not saying this to knock UGA because UGA does deserve a BCS game. It's just funny to see Saban crying about it when the only reason he's doing it is to promote himself by saying, "These guys almost beat MY team, that makes them so good because they're ALMOST as good as WE are!" Just like last year when he cried about how the best one loss team should make the NC game no matter what (Despite the fact that this year Florida had a better record against a tougher schedule and you don't see Saban clamoring for them to make the NC game over Bama), it was only to serve his own purposes.

He doesn't care about the BCS or UGA, he cares about making himself and Alabama look better.

Pretty much this. UF played a tougher schedule and so did SC. Hell, so did LSU. Why isn't he saying anything about them? Then there's the whole "SC beating UGA by 4 TD's" thing.

Not saying UGA doesn't deserve a BCS bowl, but there are others in the SEC who also do. Wonder why Saban didn't mention them...