Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Kirby Smart set to interview at Auburn - Latest Auburn coaching rumors

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm not sure Kirby is ready for a gig like Auburn, that's a pretty big gamble for both parties.
Posted Image

It's Chubb time... no homo

THE_KRIEG

THE_KRIEG
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Is this true? God I sure hope not.

Posted Image

The Playmaker

The Playmaker

Hold My Beer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Bad move for both sides imo

1. Does Auburn really want to hire a guy who has never been a head coach before?  Shouldn't they go after someone more proven, like the opposite of what they did with Chizik?  Get someone in there well known and get your program going in the right direction.  I wouldn't take another risk with a questionable HC.

2. Smart going to the state rival in a program going downhill quick?  Having your first job in the SEC and to face your old boss?  Start somewhere else and work your way up to a better position to succeed.  

Also, I don't know how much longer Saban wants to stay but if it's within 5 year go ahead and name Smart the head coach in waiting.  I know that contradicts a little of what I stated above but with already knowing the players and inheriting a probable top team he would have a lot more success.
Posted Image

FlyingEagle

FlyingEagle

HornyEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostThe Playmaker, on 02 December 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

Bad move for both sides imo

1. Does Auburn really want to hire a guy who has never been a head coach before?  Shouldn't they go after someone more proven, like the opposite of what they did with Chizik?  Get someone in there well known and get your program going in the right direction.  I wouldn't take another risk with a questionable HC.

2. Smart going to the state rival in a program going downhill quick?  Having your first job in the SEC and to face your old boss?  Start somewhere else and work your way up to a better position to succeed.  

Also, I don't know how much longer Saban wants to stay but if it's within 5 year go ahead and name Smart the head coach in waiting.  I know that contradicts a little of what I stated above but with already knowing the players and inheriting a probable top team he would have a lot more success.

It sounds like you don't want him at auburn more than anything else lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Playmaker

The Playmaker

Hold My Beer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFlyingEagle, on 02 December 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

It sounds like you don't want him at auburn more than anything else lol

I like Kirby Smart but idk if it's the best move for either side like I said, would I have him as my HC? Absolutely.  Our two teams are in different positions though and that makes the decision a bit more difficult.
Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The jury is out on his head coaching ability obviously, but he has to start somewhere. A major SEC school though? Probably won't flourish, but they'll have a hell of a recruiter with roots in Alabama and Georgia...that kind of scares me to be honest. When you put in all the work he does, and make no mistakes about it, he's a Saban clone when it comes to work ethic. You're bound to get a legitimate shot, but I don't know about a SEC west school as your first stop.

Also your rival? Don't do it Kirby.

Posted Image

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If you can't beat them buy them.  Has worked for recruits why not a coach.  20M over 5 is a big gamble for a guy with no HC experience though.

Posted Image

AUsome

AUsome

Kool-aid Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Bama fans just don't want him at Auburn...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Playmaker

The Playmaker

Hold My Beer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostAUsome, on 02 December 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

Bama fans just don't want him at Auburn...

I don't want him anywhere except Bama
Posted Image

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I don't think his skill as a recruiter is a good reason for anybody to hire him. AU already does a great job of recruiting, talent isn't their problem.  Not like he's going to do any better a job of that than the last staff.

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 02 December 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

I don't think his skill as a recruiter is a good reason for anybody to hire him. AU already does a great job of recruiting, talent isn't their problem.  Not like he's going to do any better a job of that than the last staff.

20m and 5 years is a huge gamble on a guy who is not a proven HC.  It takes a special kind of person to put up with AU also.  Hurting Bama and hiring a good DC when they need a HC would be right up their alley though.

Posted Image

razorhead

razorhead

The Devil You Know

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Please let this be true.  He would be coach Kline and Saban would be Red Belieu

Posted Image

the Paradox

the Paradox

Supergenius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 02 December 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

Still butt hurt that Smart demanded uga furnish their weight room with actual weights I see.

RTR
Posted Image

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postthe Paradox, on 02 December 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

Still butt hurt that Smart demanded uga furnish their weight room with actual weights I see.

RTR

It's amazing we hung around for so long last night, given that we only do water aerobics and Zumba instead of lifting weights, huh?

TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postthe Paradox, on 02 December 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

RTR

I'm failing to see the butt-hurt in what he said... it's not like he said anything negative about Kirby.
Posted Image

It's Chubb time... no homo