Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Alabama vs Notre Dame

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've been waiting for this game for a long long time....

Posted Image

Orange Bowl

Notre Dame 13

Alabama 11

Notre Dame Fight Song

Posted Image
MIAMI- "I feel so washed out," said Ara Parseghian, his emotional Notre Dame coaching career at a sad- but happy- end after 11 pressure seasons (video).

"He (Parseghian) was a senior to us and playing his last game just like the rest of the seniors," said halfback Eric Penick.

And, said Alabama's Bear Bryant, another coaching immortal, "I don't feel jinxed in bowls."

Notre Dame's 13-11 Orange Bowl triumph over first or second-ranked Alabama (depending on what poll you prefer) Wednesday night was more a tale of two coaches than two teams.

To some extent, it was similar to Notre Dame's thrilling 24-23 national championship Sugar Bowl shootout over Alabama last season. This time, the twice-beaten Irish came in with no hope of repeating as the nation's No. 1 team.

Nonetheless, they shattered Alabama's national championship dreams for the second consecutive season, extended the Crimson Tide bowl jinx- what else can you call it?- to eight years and presented Parseghian with a going-away present he'll always cherish.

The victory by ninth-ranked Notre Dame, an 11 1/2-point underdog, virtually assured the Associated Press writers' college national championship to the Oklahoma Sooners, who completed their season with an 11-0 mark- the only perfect record among the nation's 128 major college teams- but were ineligible for a bowl game because they are on probation for recruiting violations.

But the United Press International board of college coaches poll didn't recognize the Sooners because of their violations, raising some doubt as to who they, will vote No. 1 in their final poll early next week.

"This game ranks right up there among the greatest of my career," said an emotionally drained Parseghian. "I wish you could have been in here after the game was over. You would have seen there's no truth to the story out of San Francisco about disunity on this team.

"I didn't overburden the team with this being my last game. I thanked them as profoundly as I could after the game because this is something I'll always remember. But before the game, I just asked them to play like men and go out like men."

Parseghian, who announced his resignation earlier this month and now turns the famed Notre Dame coaching reins over to Dan Devine, wound up as the second winningest Irish coach with a 95-17-4 record. He trails the legendary Knute Rockne by 10 victories.

"I told them before the game they owed this game to themselves and the people who follow Notre Dame," said Parseghian: Parseghian's words worked well. The Irish defense, much maligned after a late-season 55-24 loss to USC played superbly as they forced five fumbles and intercepted two passes while constantly bottling up Alabama's Wishbone attack.

"I knew our offensive front four could not contain their defensive front," said Alabama coach Bear Bryant, "but our offensive line has not been consistent all year. Our team was ready to play."

Wayne Bullock, playing his final game for Notre Dame, came off a sick bed to carry the brunt of the offensive attack and score the game's first touchdown on a four yard run, and sophomore' Mark McLane added the other score on a nine yard sprint.

Posted ImageBut it was the aggressive play of the Irish defense, especially that of tackle Steve Niehaus and linebackers John Dubenetzki and Reggie Barnett, that curbed the Tide and once again ruined the start of the New Year for Bear Bryant.

The Irish had only one defensive lapse all game and that came with only 3:13 remaining when Richard Todd completed a 48-yard touchdown pass to Russ Schamun on a fourth down and five situation.

That play was made possible when defensive back Randy Payne slipped and fell on the artificial turf and when Alabama successfully made a two point conversion there was still time for the Tide to pull the contest out.

They got their chance with 1:39 to go when Notre Dame was forced to give up the ball on a punt taking the ball on their own 38. Todd moved the team to the Notre Dame 38 on two quick passes and was moving the team into field goal range when Barnett pulled the defensive play of the game for the Irish by intercepting an intended pass for Randy Billingsly (video).

That was one of several mistakes which proved costly to the Crimson Tide.

The first occured early in the first quarter when Shelby fumbled a punt on the Alabama 16 and Notre Dame's Al Samuel recovered.

Five plays later Bullock, who emerged as the game's leading rusher with 83 yards, scored from the four.

Later in the period Notre Dame recovered an errant pitchout by Todd but failed to capitalize when Dave Reeve missed a field goal attempt.

The Irish got another break early in the second period when Washington was called for offsides as Reeve was lining up to try a kick from the 45. Notre Dame was given a first down and they scored four plays later when McLane burst off left tackle for a nine yard touchdown.

Reeve, however, missed the extra point and that almost proved fatal when Alabama pulled within two points late in the fourth quarter.

Alabama could muster virtually no offense against Notre Dame as the Tide managed only 285 yards total offense.

Their only other score came on a 20 yard field goal by Danny Ridgeway in the second period after a drive had boggled on the Notre Dame four.

"I'm happy Ara went out on a winning note, but I'm not happy it was at our expense," said Bryant.

After everything is said and done, more is said than done. - Noah

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
yeah, I saw mr lucky charms holding the gameday sign...talkin' bout living in the past
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This entry was entitled:  OREGON, U MAD?

Posted Image
Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This is going to be a REAL fun month.

Posted Image

Penguin

Penguin
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
SECTALK UNITE!!!! in the name of all things amazing about football, and all things shitty about lou holtz, I will say Posted Image notre dame I hope they get that ass beat and I Posted Imageing hope its by 50 Posted Imageing points and its mostly because I CANT Posted ImageING STAND Posted ImageING LOU HOLTZ Posted Image YOU MOTHER Posted ImageER.

/rant
Posted Image   

Seriously. A season I will never forget.

Posted Image

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Johnny Majors still hates Notre Dame.
After everything is said and done, more is said than done. - Noah

GamecockDieHard

GamecockDieHard
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Just don't think I can pull for Notre Dame, but I really don't consider Bama a part of the SEC anymore.  They've won so much, it's like they're in their own orbit.

THE_KRIEG

THE_KRIEG
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Notre Dame 17
Alabama 13

Posted Image

THE_KRIEG

THE_KRIEG
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Go Irish :throwup:

Posted Image

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It's funny that you give NS a month to prepare for a bowl game and then he only uses 2 weeks and demolishes teams.  No doubt the coaches will start looking at stuff later this week though.  

How big is it for Nuss to step aboard Alabama at the start of this year and make a Jan. 7 appearance in Miami the next? He's probably already watching film.

Posted Image

THE_KRIEG

THE_KRIEG
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The QB will ultimately be the difference in this game, because neither team will be able to run effectively and consistently. So which QB will suck less?

Posted Image

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTHE_KRIEG, on 02 December 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

The QB will ultimately be the difference in this game, because neither team will be able to run effectively and consistently. So which QB will suck less?

Wallace

Posted Image

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
IMO ND has no chance of stopping Bamas running attack.

Bama - 35
ND - 6
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

HALLOWEEN is Creeping Up On Us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
At the beginning of the season we had no idea this game would happen. All I can say as a Crimson Tide fan is that this is all I could ever hope for... the chance to see Alabama and Notre Dame together on the field in a battle for the NC. ROLL TIDE!
Posted Image

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTider27, on 02 December 2012 - 02:29 AM, said:

This is going to be a REAL fun month.
It could only be better if we have some of the lucky charms gang join here. It could possibly be the best month this sites ever seen.

@Benny ....throw some pamphlets out around South Bend ( I hate mentioning South and the Popes in the same sentence) and lure them in.

make it happen
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas