Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

Big 12 Expansion?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan

Hail State!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostCCRider, on 28 November 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Well as much as I hate to say it everyone will be at 16 teams if not 20 in the next three years.
Sixteen is possible, twenty is no way.

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
20 is very possible - 4 - 5 team divisions per "power conference"
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan

Hail State!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postdcbl, on 28 November 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

I know that it is possible I just don't see the conferences wanting to expand that far but I guess you never know with money.

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
4 division opponents + 1 in conference rivalry game - play 1 team from the other 3 divisions & rotate them every year - that way you see EVERY team in conference at least once every 4 years - play at every team's place at least once every 8 years

8 conference games - one slot for a big name OOC "rivalry" (USC vs Clemson; UF vs FSU) - one other decent OOC game and 2 cupcakes

it's so perfect it's scary...

Edited by dcbl, 28 November 2012 - 10:22 PM.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGidnik, on 28 November 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

i dont think we will unless we get fsu and thats not happening any time soon now that Louisville joined. That and texas doesnt want to expand at all.

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 28 November 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

Why would Texas not want to expand? Having the 12 teams and a conference championship will certainly help for National Championship consideration.

Actually, Texas and Bob Stoops feel the same way about it, and it would of worked this year if KSU wouldnt of got upset. The Big 12 is strong enough that a undefeated conference winner will most likely go to the BCSNCG. If KSU was undefeated, and had to matchup with OU again in a title game, there is a good chance KSU would lose and the Big 12 would miss out on the title game.
In this years circumstace, if OU and KSU played Saturday in a title game, neither would earn a spot in the title game.
Seems maybe in the future it wont matter anyways with a playoff coming.
Perine.jpg
Samaje Perine - NCAA Single Game Record 427 Rushing Yards

#18 Oklahoma 8-3 (5-3) vs Oklahoma State 5-6 (3-5) Dec 6th

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBlackSheep 171, on 29 November 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

Actually, Texas and Bob Stoops feel the same way about it, and it would of worked this year if KSU wouldnt of got upset. The Big 12 is strong enough that a undefeated conference winner will most likely go to the BCSNCG. If KSU was undefeated, and had to matchup with OU again in a title game, there is a good chance KSU would lose and the Big 12 would miss out on the title game.
In this years circumstace, if OU and KSU played Saturday in a title game, neither would earn a spot in the title game.
Seems maybe in the future it wont matter anyways with a playoff coming.

Regardless of how great you guys think the Big XII is....they will follow suit with whatever everyone else does (B1G, Pac-12, SEC) because your conference is the fourth option.  If you do not follow suit, the ACC might and then YOU are the conference left out in the cold.  The ACC and Big XII are fighting to survive, Texas and Oklahoma will not allow themselves to be out of the fray.  Either you protect your territory and expand or be ready to take ACC road trips to Syracuse and Boston College for a regular season road game.

Edited by SECats, 29 November 2012 - 07:52 AM.

2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostCCRider, on 28 November 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Well as much as I hate to say it everyone will be at 16 teams if not 20 in the next three years.

I hope your wrong, but I really still agree, that seems to be where we are headed. If the playoff stays 4 teams, or even 8 for that matter, super conferences will be more probable.
Perine.jpg

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECats, on 29 November 2012 - 07:51 AM, said:

Regardless of how great you guys think the Big XII is....they will follow suit with whatever everyone else does (B1G, Pac-12, SEC) because your conference is the fourth option.  If you do not follow suit, the ACC might and then YOU are the conference left out in the cold.  The ACC and Big XII are fighting to survive, Texas and Oklahoma will not allow themselves to be out of the fray.  Either you protect your territory and expand or be ready to take ACC road trips to Syracuse and Boston College for a regular season road game.

I don't think the Big 12 is that great. I think we are the 2nd best on the field above the PAC-12 and B1G, and we all know football drives the ship.
My dream would be the Big 12 adding FSU, Clemson, Miami and Va Tech. That would give us 5 teams regionally close to each other in the east coast, 9 teams in the current Big 12 region. Then you put two teams into the east with the east coast schools, and have a conference title game.
Perine.jpg

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postdcbl, on 28 November 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

You might be on to something.  There will be a lot of programs on the cusp left out in a 64 team super conference.  Four 16-team conferences (assuming the PAC12, SEC, BigXII and the B1G are the 4, and they don't kick out any weak sisters) leaves only 14 spots unclaimed right now (2 each from the SEC and B1G{Maryland and Rutgers already agreed) 6 in the BigXII and 4 for the PAC12).  I have to imagine that Notre Dame and BYU get two of those, Name programs in the ACC like FSU, Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech, UNC, Georgia Tech and Syracuse are most likely going to get a spot too (7),  So that leaves 5 spots for programs without a lot of history but some recent football success though maybe against weaker competition like Louisville, Cincinnati, Boise State, etc.