Another gun question - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Another gun question

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Would a 38 special ultralite be a good carry gun for my girlfriend or would you recommend going on up to a 9mm.

*edit* the reason I even ask is because we have been shooting and she is more comfortable with the 38 but I wanna get some other takes.

This is what she has been practicing with. A friend loaned it to us for her to shoot with.

http://www.academy.c...7_-1?N=39632047

Edited by Hothotz, 12 November 2012 - 02:18 PM.

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
PK380 is under another recall so I would look alsewhere. Maybe a Bersa Thunder 380 or sig p232. Karh amrs has some nice small easy 9mms to look at. Bersa has a plastic cc9 that feels great in a smaller hand. Beretta NANO might be an option fora small 9mm. Hope that helps.

Redacted

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
An ultra-light snubbie .38/.357 wouldn't be a first recommendation for a relatively inexperienced shooter since they can be somewhat hard to shoot.  However, if that is what she's been practicing with and she's comfortable with it, then there's nothing wrong with it.

WESB

WESB

Football Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
    The Bermuda Triangle of Football (Middle Tenn)
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHothotz, on 12 November 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

Would a 38 special ultralite be a good carry gun for my girlfriend or would you recommend going on up to a 9mm.

*edit* the reason I even ask is because we have been shooting and she is more comfortable with the 38 but I wanna get some other takes.

This is what she has been practicing with. A friend loaned it to us for her to shoot with.

Academy - Taurus Ultralite Model 85 .38 Special Revolver

Don't believe the Taurus is +P rated, S&W offers +P rated hammerless snubbies.
.38 SPL is fine with the right ammunition. Federal Nyclad 125 grain hollowpoints work well as do 148 grain lead wadcutters.....these two are pretty much the best options in non +P for the .38.

+P if she can handle it.

Most important!! Get her some instruction!!!!!!!!
My favorite Teams? Whoever is playing Michigan or Notre Dame!!!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postnova, on 12 November 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

An ultra-light snubbie .38/.357 wouldn't be a first recommendation for a relatively inexperienced shooter since they can be somewhat hard to shoot.  However, if that is what she's been practicing with and she's comfortable with it, then there's nothing wrong with it.

She likes the light-wight aspect of it since it will be in her purse. And she handles recoil easily enough.

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
My wife was interested in buying a pistol and we looked at a lot of guns.  She liked the Taurus Millenium Pro because of the way it fit her hand and the Smith and Wesson airweight revolvers.  We went to the range and shot a few different guns.  She did not like the way the airweight 38 shot and I didn't either.  In the end she shot a crap load of .22 and decided that she did not want a gun after all.  Weird.  We probably should have shot some plain .38 since we shot +p only.

I don't think there is much difference in the 9 and .38.  Whatever she likes to shoot is what I'd reccomend.  Getting a .22 pistol just to take out and play with makes a ton of sense to me when breaking someone in to handguns.

Edited by SECorBust, 12 November 2012 - 02:49 PM.

Posted Image

Hothotz

Hothotz

Fire Richt

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostWESB, on 12 November 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

Don't believe the Taurus is +P rated, S&W offers +P rated hammerless snubbies.
.38 SPL is fine with the right ammunition. Federal Nyclad 125 grain hollowpoints work well as do 148 grain lead wadcutters.....these two are pretty much the best options in non +P for the .38.

+P if she can handle it.

Most important!! Get her some instruction!!!!!!!!

We both are accustom to firearms and both have our CCW but she has never used hers. She is now wanting to have something to carry and just trying to get some input as to which you guys might pre-fer.

@ anything to add?

nova

nova

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If you're going with a snubby .38, get some of the speer gold dots designed for short barrels.  The cavity was specifically designed for consistent expansion at the lower velocities of snubbies...

GatorLaw

GatorLaw
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHothotz, on 12 November 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

Academy - Taurus Ultralite Model 85 .38 Special Revolver

I own a Taurus Ultralite Model 85 in 38 Special.  I like the gun, and it's the gun I intent to use once I get my CCP (still putting it off).  My particular gun is not rated +P, so my ammo choices are a bit limited.

I have gone to the range and had girls (very small girls) shoot the gun, and most can handle it no problem.  I think it has to do more with the attitude of the person shooting it.  If she is scared of guns, she will hate the recoil, but otherwise, most people are able to shoot it fine.

I would recommend it, taking into the consideration that the gun may not be +P rated.  If you are ok with that, then go with it.
Original Image: <a href='http://i.imgur.com/7wCat.gif' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://i.imgur.com/7wCat.gif</a>

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
My fiancee carries a Taurus 709 slim. 7+1 its lightweight and she loves it because she has smaller hands and can get a good griop of it since the handle is only 3/4 of an inch wide. Its 9mm and she can handle it well.  Also has flip and trigger saftey to help prevent accidential firing when its in the pouch in her purse. Have it loaded with Hornady CD 115g.

Posted ImagePosted Image

The Joker

The Joker

As you can see, I'm a lot happier!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHothotz, on 12 November 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

We both are accustom to firearms and both have our CCW but she has never used hers. She is now wanting to have something to carry and just trying to get some input as to which you guys might pre-fer.

@ anything to add?

Not really. I carry one of my Glock's concealed and it's loaded with Hornady's Zombie-Max 9mm.

For those of you that don't know, the Zombie-Max are the EXACT same round as Hornady's Critical Defense and a lot cheaper too.
Posted Image

"Honor the vision of your founders, and respect the most sublime Constitution devised by human intelligence." - Daniel Hannan - British Member Of Parliament.

GatorLaw

GatorLaw
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNeo, on 12 November 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

Not really. I carry one of my Glock's concealed and it's loaded with Hornady's Zombie-Max 9mm.

For those of you that don't know, the Zombie-Max are the EXACT same round as Hornady's Critical Defense and a lot cheaper too.

Really?  My experience has been that the Critical Defense are more expensive than the Zombi-Max... which is the reason why I use Critical defense.
Original Image: <a href='http://i.imgur.com/7wCat.gif' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://i.imgur.com/7wCat.gif</a>

The Joker

The Joker

As you can see, I'm a lot happier!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorLaw, on 12 November 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

Really?  My experience has been that the Critical Defense are more expensive than the Zombi-Max... which is the reason why I use Critical defense.

That's what I said Gator. Zombie-Max is the same round for less money. Several gunstores made me aware of this so I did a little research on my own. Happy reading.

http://www.xdtalk.co...-zombiemax.html

http://forum.opencar...Zombie-Max-Ammo

Posted Image

"Honor the vision of your founders, and respect the most sublime Constitution devised by human intelligence." - Daniel Hannan - British Member Of Parliament.

nova

nova

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hey guys, just FYI, stuff like the Critical Defense and other ammo marketed more towards civilians, is not a good choice for SD ammo for a variety of reasons.  

Firstly, they're generally inferior designs compared to the more modern deep cavity hollow points.  

Secondly they're expensive as shit.  $25/20 from what I've seen.  Comparatively you can get ammo like Federal HST, marketed towards law enforcement, for $30/50.

The following links to some information posted by Dr. Gary Roberts, one of the nations foremost experts in terminal ballistics.  The guy has worked for everybody from DoD on down conducting terminal ballistics research...

http://m4carbine.net...ead.php?t=19887

http://m4carbine.net...ead.php?t=19914

GatorLaw

GatorLaw
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNeo, on 12 November 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

That's what I said Gator. Zombie-Max is the same round for less money. Several gunstores made me aware of this so I did a little research on my own. Happy reading.

Hornady Critical Defense or ZombieMax - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Hornady Zombie Max Ammo?

ZOMBIE MAX VS CRITICAL DEFENSE - YouTube

Sorry... got it backwards.  It was my understand that the Critical defense was cheaper than Zombie Max.  But I just looked it up, and it seems like I was wrong.  Damn, could have saved myself $2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users