Gun help - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Gun help

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Fidy8

Fidy8

Love me some AU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I know there are some other gun threads but I need a little help. I'm gonna buy a 1911, I know that much but I don't know what kind. I was talking to the guy at the gun store about my needs and he suggested getting a Rock Island. All I want is a gun I can carry in the truck for protection and to carry in the woods when I bow hunt and etc. I don't shoot at a range or anything. It might get 2 boxes shot threw it in a years time.

So the question is, is have any of you guys had any experience with this brand? I've never heard of it but he said it was a good gun, and he wasn't trying to sale me one, he told me to order it. I can get one off gun broker for around 400$. I am not gonna pay Sig prices for one being I'm not shooting alot, so what do y'all say?

Bulleit

Bulleit

been Up All Night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Springfield 1911, its going to be more expensive than a Rock Island, but it's a solid gun. I have a couple buddies that have them. My grandfather has one too. They all swear by em.

View PostSECats, on 09 January 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

UK will finish above UT, Vandy and Mizzou...I'll bet my SECTalk account on it.

Fidy8

Fidy8

Love me some AU

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yea I know they are great but I don't want to have to spend that much on a gun I'm just gonna carry. I want the best bang for my buck.

Bulleit

Bulleit

been Up All Night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yeah, I understand, it would last forever though. I really don't know anything about Rock Island. Never shot one, not sure if I've ever seen one. $400 is pretty cheap. It sounds like the guy may have found a good buy. Go with your gut.

View PostSECats, on 09 January 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

UK will finish above UT, Vandy and Mizzou...I'll bet my SECTalk account on it.

Fidy8

Fidy8

Love me some AU

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Come on @GoldenRebel and @smokeyone or some of you gun experts help a brother out.

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Officer Model Rock Island without the ambi safety sounds like what you are in the market for. Basic simple solid heavy and works. I owned for and carried it of a few years. I would not hesitate to recommend it for what you described.

Redacted

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
400 for a full size or officer is a great price. Just avoid the ones with the ambidextrous safety, they are notoriously weak.

Redacted

Fidy8

Fidy8

Love me some AU

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Will the ones with the ambi safety specify that? I didn't see anything about that on Gunbroker and there were several on there for that price.

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFidy8, on 09 November 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

Will the ones with the ambi safety specify that? I didn't see anything about that on Gunbroker and there were several on there for that price.

The ambi safety will have a safety on both rear sides of the slide. It should be mentioned in the description. Or you can get a model number and look it up on the Armscore website.

Redacted

aTm 82

aTm 82
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
My neighbor paid 700 for 2 at a gun show, he loves them because they will shoot any load without jamming, accurate and cheap.
He says they shoots as good as his $ 2000 Custom Colt. He shoots a lot of reloads and range loads and says that he had 1 reload hang because of a bent case. For the money they are hard to beat.

smokeyone

smokeyone

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
As soon as the video starts the 1911 is facing right. see the rear of the slide? No safety, good to go. And its not just RIA that has weak ambi safeties. Most 1911s with ambi safeties that are not custom are going to be weak.

Redacted

oxfordreb

oxfordreb
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Rock Island makes a solid AR15, a buddy of mine raves about his and the deal he got on it, but other than that not much info here. My experience is that you would be better off spending a little more on a solid brand that everyone is familiar with to get your resale/trade value back out of it. Taurus has a 1911 in a 9mm and .45 that are priced pretty good at times in the 500-550 range.
Posted Image

Fidy8

Fidy8

Love me some AU

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postoxfordreb, on 09 November 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

Rock Island makes a solid AR15, a buddy of mine raves about his and the deal he got on it, but other than that not much info here. My experience is that you would be better off spending a little more on a solid brand that everyone is familiar with to get your resale/trade value back out of it. Taurus has a 1911 in a 9mm and .45 that are priced pretty good at times in the 500-550 range.

I looked at the Taurus and the guy told me he would rather own the Rock Islamd than the Taurus.

JDawg

JDawg

I'm from the LANDMASS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I recently bought an STI Spartan 1911.  They make a government (5" barrel), commander (4") and officers size (3") in the Spartan.  I love it so far.  It MSRP's for 700, but you an find it all over the internet for around 620 new (Dawson Precision, Buds, Gunbroker).  @GoldenRebel can help you alot too.  The Spartan is the cheapest model of 1911 STI makes... they are an EXCELLENT company and their other 1911's run in the thousands and 2000s.  They do have some other 3" carry models that run around a grand.  The Spartan comes in 9mm, too.

Edited by JDawg, 09 November 2012 - 10:50 PM.

FIRE EVERYONE