Gun Business is brisk - Page 6 - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com - Page 6

Jump to content

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
277381
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread


Latest Topics


Latest News


Top High Fived

Top Bettors


Gun Business is brisk

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#76
nova

nova

    Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,136
  • Joined:
    Dec 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,678

View PostGoldenRebel, on 13 November 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Can't go wrong with the 10/22.  Only downside is the non-Ruger mags are shit.  There are a lot of nice .22s for pretty cheap though.  Depends on whether you want autoloading or bolt.

They ain't what I'd call inexpensive but the Tactical Innovations mags are the shiznit.  Got a couple sitting on the shelf right now...

http://www.tacticali...ufacturer_id=10

#77
Hothotz

Hothotz

    Fire Richt

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    6,275
  • Joined:
    Aug 2012
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,292
@nova

Hey man I am about to pull the trigger and buy me a Beretta PX-4 sub-compact for 409.00 with a 50 dollar rebate through Beretta. Now I know it is a awesome deal and everything I have read about the gun says its a good pistol. What is your take? Any thing I should take into consideration before pullin the trigger?

#78
nova

nova

    Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,136
  • Joined:
    Dec 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,678

View PostHothotz, on 14 November 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

@nova

Hey man I am about to pull the trigger and buy me a Beretta PX-4 sub-compact for 409.00 with a 50 dollar rebate through Beretta. Now I know it is a awesome deal and everything I have read about the gun says its a good pistol. What is your take? Any thing I should take into consideration before pullin the trigger?

I don't have any personal experience with that weapon, but last I heard (which was 12-18 months ago) is that there are significant issues with the rotating barrel arrangement they use. Reports of guys using a mallet to unlock the slide after jams.  Beretta customer service has also been described as "glacial" in resolving problems.

I kinda sound like a broken record in this regard but my recommendation is to go with either a Glock or a S&W M&P.  Both of those are service pistols with well established records for reliability and you can get them new for not a lot more than what you're looking at for the PX-4.  Find a good used one and it's likely to be less...

#79
WESB

WESB

    Football Masochist

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    171
  • Joined:
    Aug 2007
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    44

View Postnova, on 14 November 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:


I kinda sound like a broken record in this regard but my recommendation is to go with either a Glock or a S&W M&P.  Both of those are service pistols with well established records for reliability and you can get them new for not a lot more than what you're looking at for the PX-4.  Find a good used one and it's likely to be less...


THIS,
Glock or a S&W M&P. These are the equivalent of a Snap-On ratchet set. Everybody should have one. With the 9MM performance ammunition available today, the .45 and .40 don't really offer a serious performance advantage.
My favorite Teams? Whoever is playing Michigan or Notre Dame!!!


Posted ImagePosted Image

#80
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,057
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,443

View Postnova, on 14 November 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

I don't have any personal experience with that weapon, but last I heard (which was 12-18 months ago) is that there are significant issues with the rotating barrel arrangement they use. Reports of guys using a mallet to unlock the slide after jams.  Beretta customer service has also been described as "glacial" in resolving problems.

I kinda sound like a broken record in this regard but my recommendation is to go with either a Glock or a S&W M&P.  Both of those are service pistols with well established records for reliability and you can get them new for not a lot more than what you're looking at for the PX-4.  Find a good used one and it's likely to be less...

FNx, Styr, Springfield ect

Redacted


#81
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,057
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,443
Beretta rotating locking blocks blow

Redacted


#82
nova

nova

    Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,136
  • Joined:
    Dec 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,678

View Postsmokeyone, on 15 November 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

FNx, Styr, Springfield ect

I used to really like the XDs but I've gotten to where I don't like their implementation of the grip safety.  I've seen crapola get caught up in the gaps between the grip safety and the frame and lock it up tight.  When the GS stops, you can't even rack the slide. :scared:

The FNx, some of the early production pistols had issues being "picky" about ammo when you installed a weapon light.  Last I heard they'd fixed that though.  Never shot one myself but they have all the features necessary in a reliable service pistol.

Another idea would be a Sig.  I've never owned one but love 'em the times I've shot them...

#83
Noah

Noah

    Founding Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,616
  • Joined:
    Jan 2004
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    1,910

View Postsmokeyone, on 15 November 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Beretta rotating locking blocks blow
so this is a good thang, right?
After everything is said and done, more is said than done. - Noah

#84
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,057
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,443

View Postnova, on 15 November 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

I used to really like the XDs but I've gotten to where I don't like their implementation of the grip safety.  I've seen crapola get caught up in the gaps between the grip safety and the frame and lock it up tight.  When the GS stops, you can't even rack the slide. :scared:

The FNx, some of the early production pistols had issues being "picky" about ammo when you installed a weapon light.  Last I heard they'd fixed that though.  Never shot one myself but they have all the features necessary in a reliable service pistol.

Another idea would be a Sig.  I've never owned one but love 'em the times I've shot them...

Im a sig guy but thought we were looking in the under 600 range. The cheaper plastic sigs are pretty bad.

Redacted


#85
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,057
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,443

View PostNoah.Dreams, on 15 November 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

so this is a good thang, right?

only if you graft a set of titts on it.

Redacted


#86
smokeyone

smokeyone

    Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    9,057
  • Joined:
    Jul 2010
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,443
I did the tour of the FN factory in Columbia SC and fell in love with the idea of a solid American made handgun that was not over 1000.00. The FNp 45 tact is the finest shooting non 1911 45 I have ever shot. 15 plus 1 with the optic plates already in the box was awesome. Too bad they made it baby shit green.

Redacted


#87
aTm 82

aTm 82
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    895
  • Joined:
    Oct 2011
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    356

View PostGoldenRebel, on 13 November 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Can't go wrong with the 10/22.  Only downside is the non-Ruger mags are shit.  There are a lot of nice .22s for pretty cheap though.  Depends on whether you want autoloading or bolt.
OMG 10.22 has so many available parts and custom fit pieces you can make one anyway you want it. A blast to shoot and accurate as hell. I have had one for going on 20 years. Use to sit in a lawn chair in the backyard and pick off squirrels that got fat on the pecan trees, hate living inside the city limits now.

#88
nova

nova

    Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,136
  • Joined:
    Dec 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,678

View Postsmokeyone, on 15 November 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Im a sig guy but thought we were looking in the under 600 range. The cheaper plastic sigs are pretty bad.

Yah you right.  Didn't even consider cost.  You're not getting a Sig in decent shape for the prices he's talking.

I've seen a couple black friday deals on M&Ps though.  $450 range....

#89
aTm 82

aTm 82
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    895
  • Joined:
    Oct 2011
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    356

View Postnova, on 14 November 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

I don't have any personal experience with that weapon, but last I heard (which was 12-18 months ago) is that there are significant issues with the rotating barrel arrangement they use. Reports of guys using a mallet to unlock the slide after jams.  Beretta customer service has also been described as "glacial" in resolving problems.

I kinda sound like a broken record in this regard but my recommendation is to go with either a Glock or a S&W M&P.  Both of those are service pistols with well established records for reliability and you can get them new for not a lot more than what you're looking at for the PX-4.  Find a good used one and it's likely to be less...
See if you can find one at an indoor gun range and shoot it. I know a person that took a brand new Beretta .40 sub right out of the box loaded brand new hollow points in it and it jammed on the first round. Lip on the edge of the hollow point tip was jammed up against a piece of the receiver. After ejecting the shell you could see the bent lip on the tip of the copper jacket. After shooting it the slide was jammed at about 1/4 of inch. Guy at the range took a plastic hammer to the slide and with about 4 whacks unloaded it. He said the slides too tight from the factory, shoot slow for the first box of ammo till the gun loosens up a bit. It jammed 3 out of the first 50 rounds. The first 20 or so shell casings had some minor scarring along the length of them. The guy who owned it said he got it as a gift and couldn't return it.
If I owned it and couldn't take it back I would take it apart clean it and take it to a gunsmith and have that thing combat tuned, ejector port and slide rails polished and then put like 500 rounds thru it and it better not jam once.
My Son in Law has the full size Bereta9 just like the military uses and it shoots nice.
My wife carry's the Glock G26sub, throws it from purse to purse, stays fricken dirty from all the crap she throws in her purse. It is light as hell and holds 10 rounds. Even seen her use a hand wipe to get lipstick off of it and throw it right back in her purse. She can't hurt it and it won't rust, Check out the G26 for the money.

#90
nova

nova

    Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Posts:
    8,136
  • Joined:
    Dec 2009
  • Cash:
    0
  • High Fives:
    3,678

View PostaTm 82, on 15 November 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

See if you can find one at an indoor gun range and shoot it.

. She can't hurt it and it won't rust, Check out the G26 for the money.

Meh, I'm not really interested.  I've got my M&P, am happy with it and don't plan on getting anything different outside of collectibles.  Next on my list is a full size M&P9 to go with my M&P9C...

Far as I'm concerned, when it comes to service pistols Glock is 1A and the M&P is 1B.  Rugged, reliable and not that expensive is a hard combo to beat...

Edited by nova, 15 November 2012 - 12:31 PM.