Lane Kiffin up to his old antics - Page 2 - NCAA - SECTalk.com - Page 2

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Lane Kiffin up to his old antics

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostShow Stopper, on 08 November 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

I still find it so hard that someone can work their way up through the coaching ranks by failing miserably at all of his jobs (other than as an assistant coach).  Its crazy.  Regardless, its hard to prove whether or not he knew about it.

It was all very easy.
Al Davis, who wanted to relive his glory days thought he would be a young coach like John Madden was.  
Al Davis  realizes Lane isn't a good coach.
Everyone thinks Al Davis is crazy.
Al Davis gives crazy press conference calling Lane a terrible coach and a liar.
Everyone feels sorry for Lane.

Mike Hamilton hires fairly unknown coach Bruce Pearl for Tennessee Basketball.
Pearl turns out to be a good coach.
Pearl is obnoxious to everyone else.
Tennessee fans, who never care for basketball, love Bruce and go to games.

Phil Fulmer's great success in the late 90s is unsustainable
Tennessee fans expect 10+ win seasons from Phil
Fulmer only is able to win about 8 a season
Tennessee fans quit going to football, Hamilton fires Fulmer

Hamilton thinks Lane could be the football Pearl
Lane begins tenure at Tennessee by poking Urban Meyer with stick.
Tennessee fans rejoice.
Tennessee loses to Florida but not by much
Lane figures out Jon Crompton can only throw to one side of the field.
Tennessee beats Georgia
Tennessee loses to Alabama on missed field goal
Black Jerseys!
Lane Kiffin looks like genius
Tennessee finishes 7-6

USC about to be hammered by sanctions
Pete Carroll gets out of dodge
Everyone turns down USC
USC can't compete for a few years anyway why not hire Lane!

GamecockDieHard

GamecockDieHard
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostCoqui, on 08 November 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

I honestly doubt Kiffin had anything to do with it. someone at SoCal did, sure, but i really dont think it would be the head coach.

GamecockDieHard

GamecockDieHard
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGamecockDieHard, on 08 November 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

There was a Joker, "Not sure if serious" picture attempt here.  Can't seem to get my pix to work......

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm also guessing the Ole Miss game where Ole Miss put up 1000 yards rushing on Monte's defense wasn't broadcast in LA or a team that has to play against Oregon every year would've probably not hired him.

Coqui

Coqui

Worst Poster 2013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

what the :lanekiffin: did i just watch

Edited by Coqui, 09 November 2012 - 01:24 PM.

34-17 | 29-7 | 34-13 | 27-17 | 31-17

The Rebels of Oakland

Hoganknows

Hoganknows

NCAA Baseball National Champs 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
He's fired also...what an idiot
Posted Image

Posted Image

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

Take the highway to the end of the night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Kiffin is such a baby... such immature antics. I am never surprised anymore. He is quite predictable in his childishness.
Posted Image

Bulleit

Bulleit

been Up All Night

• Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMatt, on 08 November 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

I'm also guessing the Ole Miss game where Ole Miss put up 1000 yards rushing on Monte's defense wasn't broadcast in LA or a team that has to play against Oregon every year would've probably not hired him.

What a nightmare that was. I was in attendance.

I think there is a decent chance Lane gets fired at the end of this year. I said it before, decent chance he loses two more games. Mora is a much better coach than he is. If he gets fired there is going to be a lulz parade in Knoxville.

View PostSECats, on 09 January 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

UK will finish above UT, Vandy and Mizzou...I'll bet my SECTalk account on it.

Haymaker

Haymaker
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
http://sports.yahoo....s-08211909.html

Ball deflation scandal merely the latest controversy to ensnare Lane Kiffin's Trojans
Thu, Nov 8, 2012 4:23 PM EST

[img]http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Y587Qz7XySrtFYRyEuD90A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/Sports/AP_NCAAF/201211081505543078958-p2.jpg[/img]Lane Kiffin's Trojans are a disappointing 6-3 after opening the season as the top-ranked team. (AP)

Let's be magnanimous today. Let's give highly dubious Lane Kiffin the benefit of the doubt.
Let's take the USC football coach at his word – that in no way, shape or form did he encourage or condone a student manager deflating footballs before or during the Trojans' game against Oregon on Saturday. That this "rogue manager" simply dreamed up the idea himself to let air out of the six footballs USC used when it was on offense against the Ducks. That this kid, in a low-man-on-the-totem-pole job – and a job in which following orders is a highly prized attribute – would make a unilateral decision to monkey with the rules of the game and try to give his team a competitive advantage completely on his own.
[Related: USC student-manager fired for intentionally deflating game footballs]
That's what Kiffin said – it's all on the kid, who has subsequently been fired from his job after a Pac-12 and USC inquisition. And remember, we're giving Kiffin the benefit of the doubt here.
So you wonder where the manager may have dreamed up such a thing. Could it be he learned by watching Kiffin conduct himself?
Could it be that the "rogue manager" heard Kiffin say in preseason that he wouldn't vote his team No. 1, then USA Today disclosed that Kiffin had indeed voted his team No. 1?
Could it be that the manager saw Kiffin shut off access to the L.A. Coliseum for Friday walk-throughs by visiting teams before Hawaii played there in the season opener? Hawaii is coached by former Trojans assistant Norm Chow. Whether this was a personal shot by Kiffin or an attempt to gain an advantage is unclear, but it was a reversal of policy and an unsportsmanlike snub of a guy who once was held in high regard at USC.
Could it be that the manager saw Kiffin jack around L.A. Daily News reporter Scott Wolf, stripping his credential and banning him from practice for daring to report on an injury to USC kicker Andre Heidari? That led to a battle between the coach and the L.A. media, which ended with athletic director Pat Haden involved, Wolf's credential being restored and Kiffin sort of apologizing.
[Also: Fake Twitter account escalates USC-UCLA rivalry]
Could it be that the manager saw Kiffin pull a jersey switcheroo on Oct. 20 in order to help the Trojans beat big, bad Colorado (1-8)? USC had backup quarterback Cody Kessler change from No. 6 to No. 35 against the Buffaloes, a number worn by punter Kyle Negrete. Kessler then attempted to run for a two-point conversion – a play that was brought back on a holding penalty. In the second half, Kessler was back to wearing No. 6, seemingly in violation of NCAA rules about changing jerseys in an attempt to deceive the opponent. That brainstorm was almost certainly the difference in USC squeaking out a 50-6 victory over Colorado.
[img]http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/j0Qpo6uQHb11UABoye9qHA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTI3NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201209082025735114647-p2.jpeg[/img]Lane Kiffin claims he knew nothing about USC's student manager deflating footballs. (AP)Could it be that the manager took note of USC's nation-leading 85 penalties on the season and said to himself, "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin?' "
No, I'm sure it can't be any of those things. I'm sure working for a head coach who has a penchant for finding every low-class maneuver in the book to get an advantage had nothing to do with it. I'm sure the "rogue manager" had to come up with this in the isolation chamber of his own nefarious little mind.
Along those lines, I do not believe Kiffin's amazing ability to major in minors has had any kind of negative effect on a team that began the season ranked No. 1 in America and now sits 6-3 overall and 3-3 in the Pac-12. I do not find any correlation between a coach obsessed with picayune things like changing jerseys or pregame walk-throughs or media injury reports and a coach whose team is underachieving. I think USC is just unlucky and Lane Kiffin is unfairly criticized, and he needs better help in the student-manager department.
Some brief background on how the game ball thing works: each team plays offense with its own footballs. In the Pac-12, each team gets six game balls. They are checked before every game by the officials to make sure they are inflated to the standard level, which is between 12½ and 13½ pounds of pressure per square inch. Those balls are then marked by the officials and usually kept in their possession until they are used in the game.
A partially deflated football is easier to throw and catch – and few teams have a better throw-and-catch combination than USC's Matt Barkley and Marqise Lee. But I'm sure that had nothing to do with the manager's actions. Benefit of the doubt, remember.
[Watch: Heisman slips away from Matt Barkley]
At the very least, the manager doesn't seem like a MENSA member. As Kiffin himself pointed out Thursday, the kid was working on the Oregon sideline during the game and apparently deflating the footballs right in front of the Ducks. What school wants a cheater that dumb within their program?
Quite a few people have said this is no big deal, it happens all the time. So I asked Southeastern Conference supervisor of officials Steve Shaw about it.
"It is a big deal," he said. "It's very rare."
Shaw worked 21 years as an NCAA official before moving into the league office last year. In that time, he worked one game (he declined to say which) in which a team doctored the footballs.
"It is not a common occurrence," he said. "It would be highly unusual."
Darn it, unusual things just keep happening when Lane Kiffin is around. But I'm here today to give him the benefit of the doubt.
The question is how much longer Haden wants to give his dubious coach the benefit of the doubt.[/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Haymaker, 09 November 2012 - 03:45 PM.

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Kiffin did it. He told the kid to do it. Haden needs to man up and do something. Better yet, let him stay. That way Kiffikins can bury the Condoms in so much crap we won't have to worry about them anymore.
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

ECDawg

ECDawg
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This long time LA Times writer thinks Kiffin may need to win out to save his job......

USC football incident further deflates Trojans' image

As Pac-12 fines USC because a student manager deflated footballs in the Oregon game, there's the perception that a cleaned-up program is sliding backward.

Bill Plaschke
8:35 PM PST, November 8, 2012

Three months ago, the USC Trojans had proudly survived NCAA probation to become the top-ranked team in college football.

On Thursday, after a litany of missteps and misdeeds had turned their season of rebirth into a spiral of regret, the program stumbled again.
One more time, the air was taken out of their football — only this time, literally.

And now, the Psssst Scandal.

The Trojans announced they had been reprimanded and fined by the Pac-12 Conference because one of their student managers had intentionally deflated several footballs below NCAA-regulated levels during the first half of the Trojans' 62-51 loss to Oregon on Saturday at the Coliseum.

The student manager is no longer with the team, but, despite USC's diligent efforts to clean up the program during its two years in NCAA purgatory, the flames of impropriety are again licking at its cleats.

"I think it's not positive," said Coach Lane Kiffin in a Thursday morning news conference held under a campus arch amid a spitting rain.

That's like saying the Trojans' tackling against the Ducks was not positive. It is hard to overstate the detrimental drama that has enveloped USC seemingly from the moment star quarterback Matt Barkley stood in front of a Christmas tree last winter and announced he would be returning to lead the probation-free Trojans to a glorious fall.

On the field, this team with unbeaten talent is 6-3 while gaining national recognition mostly for reckless penalties and questionable play-calling.

Off the field, Kiffin has dragged the team through an array of distractions and ethics dilemmas that have tarnished the athletic department's sterling post-probation image cultivated by Athletic Director Pat Haden.

Kiffin was not hired by Haden, and there is now real doubt about his ability to keep his job beyond this season as the department sinks deeper into embarrassment. Kiffin was a Mike Garrett guy, and there are indications that Haden is ready to rid the program of the last traces of that legacy. As always, winning solves everything, and it appears Kiffin is going to have to do plenty of it in these final three regular-season games.

Like, maybe, win all of them?

Kiffin, 37, who is still learning on the sidelines as the youngest coach of a Bowl Championship Series conference team, was the model leader for his first two seasons as he deftly steered the team through probation. But once the games counted, he has been driven to the sorts of distractions that have perhaps shown up on the scoreboard.

His program stopped allowing visiting teams to use the Coliseum the day before a game for traditional walk-throughs, a move viewed as petty. He tried to ban a reporter for writing about injuries, but the ban was quickly rescinded by Haden. He changed numbers during games to gain a competitive advantage, possibly breaking the NCAA ethics code.

The Psssst Scandal reinforces a national perception that, even after enduring one of the stiffest penalties in NCAA history, USC is dangerously slipping back toward a culture of cheating.

"I think that's a fair question, but I don't believe that at all," said Kiffin on Thursday. "I believe this is an isolated incident that had nothing to do with the coaches or players on this team."

Nothing to do with the coaches or players on this team? That's a tough one to swallow. Who among us can actually believe that, in a giant and glittery program like USC's, a student manager would illegally alter a piece of game equipment on his own? If there truly existed a student manager with that kind of guts, shouldn't he be playing defense?

It is not only fair, but reasonable, to guess that if the student manager wasn't ordered to deflate the balls, he felt empowered to do so by the existence of a culture that increasingly seems to cut corners and rationalize ethics.

One theory could have been that Barkley asked the manager to deflate the balls because it presumably makes them easier to pass and catch, but Barkley denied any knowledge of the incident. Another theory is that the manager, acting on USC offensive players' recommendations during practice, thought deflating the balls was legal.

But because of Kiffin's history, until further notice, the blame for this will affix itself to him, which once again puts his boss in a sticky situation.
"We regret this incident occurred," said Haden on Thursday in a statement. "It was unacceptable and we apologize for it. I can assure you this will not happen again."

If it was indeed a rogue manager, how can they guarantee it will not happen again? If it was not a rogue manager, there are no more guarantees, not for the immediate future of this program, and certainly not for its head coach.

http://www.latimes.c...,6907619.column
Posted Image

S&C for championship football at UGA has returned to the proven Kasay way.  

Fidy8

Fidy8

Love me some AU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTheRealBrave, on 08 November 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

Lane Kiffin isn't really that bad of a coach. He isn't as good as Pete Carrol obviously though. He should quit bringing his father with him, that defense doesn't work in college at all.

100% agree. The Tampa 2 does not cut it in college football. Ill give you one Guess what Chiziks specialty is.

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBulleit, on 08 November 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

After last year I was kind of worried he was going to turn out to be really successful at USC (10-2, and beat Oregon at Autzen), but after the Arizona game I don't know. He's going to to lose to Notre Dame and it's not a given he will beat UCLA. To think if they lost five games this year?

Also, I'm too lazy to track down the link, but this week on SI.com someone wrote an article basically saying everything that is being said on this forum. Pretty good stuff.

:lanekiffin:

I think I posted the link to the article you're talking about above in post #5. It's pretty bad.
Posted ImagePosted Image