The NBPP is at it again in Philadelphia this morning.... - Page 4 - Think Tank - SECTalk.com - Page 4

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

The NBPP is at it again in Philadelphia this morning....

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postnova, on 06 November 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

My 6.8mm has a quad rail on it but I'm not sure I'll build another one with a rail.  Just not enough gear for me the civvy to mount on one to justify that much rail estate.

This last rifle I built is a BCM 14.5 mid-length (pinned A2X so it's non-NFA) with MOE handguards and I like it better than anything else I've handled.
I thought about 6.8 round. How do you like it compared to 300?

Posted Image

Georgia Bulldogs 1-0 (0-0)

Posted Image

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgfan4life24, on 06 November 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

I thought about 6.8 round. How do you like it compared to 300?

I'm embarrassed to admit it but I've never actually shot mine despite it sitting in the safe for the last 3 years.  I built it and then I got busy and broke while the wife was in residency.  Plan to shoot it for the first time this coming weekend.

I do like the fact that with my barrel config I can handload rounds that will sling a 85gr Barnes TSX @ nearly 3200 fps and I can buy commercial rounds from Silver State Armory with an 85gr TSX that are running around 3000 fps...

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postnova, on 06 November 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

I'm embarrassed to admit it but I've never actually shot mine despite it sitting in the safe for the last 3 years.  I built it and then I got busy and broke while the wife was in residency.  Plan to shoot it for the first time this coming weekend.

I do like the fact that with my barrel config I can handload rounds that will sling a 85gr Barnes TSX @ nearly 3200 fps and I can buy commercial rounds from Silver State Armory with an 85gr TSX that are running around 3000 fps...
Haha i expect a full report on monday.  Yea life gets in the way. Fiancee lost her job 8 months ago as i was picking out pieces for this new build. So that was put on hold. I got her a job with my company and she started yesterday so hopefully the build is on soon,.

Posted Image

Georgia Bulldogs 1-0 (0-0)

Posted Image

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postnova, on 06 November 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

I've shot AKs off and on over the years and I just can't get over the fact they're ergonomic nightmares.  Why MK thought it was a good idea to either have to break the firing grip or cross the hand to the far side of the rifle for charging and manipulation of the selector I'll never know.  Nevermind the PITA it is to get a mag inserted correctly with that dumbass rocking motion...

I like the cartridge for the range it was intended.  Building the 300 blk out for a similar round seems like a waste when you could just get an AK and have unlimited ammo.  Then you get the piston design too.  I haven't shot one enough to notice the ergonomics, but it is a highly effective weapon from what I can tell.

Posted Image

nova

nova

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECorBust, on 06 November 2012 - 02:47 PM, said:

I like the cartridge for the range it was intended.  Building the 300 blk out for a similar round seems like a waste when you could just get an AK and have unlimited ammo.  Then you get the piston design too.  I haven't shot one enough to notice the ergonomics, but it is a highly effective weapon from what I can tell.

Nothing wrong with the 7.62X39 in the least.  Good round proven over many years.

The ergonimics only really becomes an issue when you start looking at some of the modern firearms operation techniques that guys like Travis Haley, Larry Vickers, Pat McNamara, etc etc are teaching.  The emphasis is on rapid weapon actuation while maintaining positive control of the weapon at all times.  Breaking firing grip or flipping the weapon to rack the bolt violates one or the other.  The only time you should have to rotate the weapon is on a reload or a malfunction drill, in the latter primarily to observe the state of the chamber...

Edited by nova, 06 November 2012 - 02:52 PM.

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Is that 6.8 an Alexander Arms or grendel or what?  I was totally digging the ballistics and the cartridge.  It's like a short mag though and is more like a sniping/hunting round.  Few fit in the mags which make it less ideal as an assault weapon.  So costly too.  I wanted something to hunt whitetails with, but decided that going ahead with an AR-10/.308 would be more ideal since that weapon was built to handle a hot round like the 6.8 and ammo - yea ammo by the box on the shelf.... in po-dunkville could be had.

Posted Image

nova

nova

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECorBust, on 06 November 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

Is that 6.8 an Alexander Arms or grendel or what?  I was totally digging the ballistics and the cartridge.  It's like a short mag though and is more like a sniping/hunting round.  Few fit in the mags which make it less ideal as an assault weapon.  So costly too.  I wanted something to hunt whitetails with, but decided that going ahead with an AR-10/.308 would be more ideal since that weapon was built to handle a hot round like the 6.8 and ammo - yea ammo by the box on the shelf.... in po-dunkville could be had.

http://en.wikipedia....m_Remington_SPC

There's some nuances to chamber and barrel that you've got to know in order to assemble a maximally effective 6.8 rifle.  My upper was made by now defunct Titan Armory although AR15performance is still making very similar setups.

smokeyone

smokeyone

Descendant of a Lord of the Manner in Berkshire.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
if like 7.62 *39 have you looked at the sig? I shot one Sunday and may need to add it to the pile.

Posted Image

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNeo, on 06 November 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

I don't see why I would be intimidted by the man,much less pack a gun to kill him.The folks arming themselves out of fear concern me more than those who dress up to scare them.