Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

SEC Power Rankings - 11/4/12

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
1. Alabama - This author had questioned the difficulty of the Tide's schedule up to this point, however Bama went into the toughest environment in college football, was put on the ropes, and fought back to win in the final minutes. They've earned the #1 spot in the power rankings this week.

2. Georgia - Some folks around the SEC wondered whether the Dawgs might experience a "let down" performance at home against Ole Miss after an emotional win over Florida the week prior. No such let down was to be seen though, as the Dawgs manhandled Ole Miss in a game that Georgia had well in hand by the close of the 3rd quarter.

3. Florida - It wasn't as comfortable as the Gators would like, but they won it in the same fashion they've won every other game this year in - by playing solid defense and special teams. It wasn't real pretty but it's another dub and the Gators sit poised for a good bowl game.  

4. LSU - Give the Tigers credit, not many folks thought they had a shot against Alabama, but for 58 minutes, that was their game. What happened in the final two minutes? Well, it looked like the defense got away from what they'd done the whole game to that point, and let Bama march down the field in three plays. Whatever the case, there were several questionable decisions made by the coaches that ultimately cost LSU the game.

5. Texas A&M - Get a big boost for beating the teetotal dog doo out of the MSU Bullies. Johnny Manziel has looked stellar for most of the season, and the Aggies are really surprising here in their first season in the SEC.

6. South Carolina - was on bye, prepping for Arkansas next week.

7. Mississippi State - Continues to fall down the power rankings after two straight big losses. The early season momentum has come to a grinding halt.

8. Vanderbilt - Put an unrighteous beatdown on Kentucky, that resulted in the inevitable firing of head coach Joker Phillips. It was that bad.

9. Ole Miss - Two straight victories had the Rebels feeling pretty good, but after their visit to Athens, the Black Bears are reminded that they're still young and re-building. The Egg Bowl still looms large.

10. Missouri - Played tough in the Swamp, but just couldn't stop turning the ball over. Can't do that and win in this league.

11. Arkansas - Even the easy ones don't come easy for the Hogs these days.

12. Tennessee - Couches all over Tennessee are thankful that the Vols pulled out the W at home over Troy.

13. Auburn - Took out some frustration on the hapless NMSU Aggies. Good for Auburn!

14. Kentucky - Has put up a mailbox out front of the #14 ranking, as they plan on staying awhile.

Click here to view the article

Edited by HobnailedBoots, 04 November 2012 - 11:49 PM.

The Playmaker

The Playmaker

Hold My Beer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I would put LSU over Florida.  I know they lost to them but it was at UF and by like 8 I think which isn't too bad.  LSU's weakness has been QB this season and if Mettenberger can get it going like he did last night then LSU might be the 2nd best team in the SEC (or maybe country?)  I'm not trying to hype them up more since we just beat them but they've proven over the past few years they have one of the toughest defenses and a good running game, if they can get a QB to bring it all together then look out.  

Also, considering LSU should've beat Bama and exposed us that gives them the nod over a team that barely beat Missouri imo.
Posted Image

Haymaker

Haymaker
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Exposed us? We weren't exposed? We played a helluva team that had a qb cone out of his shell and play his best game ever, a team with a mad on from hell, in their back yard, that had a week off, in a game where we lost two unforced fumbles, one on a run into the end zone, the other on a punt return giving them the ball on our 25.

They played a helluva ball game but we weren't exposed

thedruebanks

thedruebanks
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
LSU and Florida should be swapped, I agree with the rest

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Really?

I thought LSU looked great, but insofar as the power rankings are concerned, you CAN NOT rank a 2 loss team ahead of a one loss team that actually beat said 2 loss team.

Not even if the 2 loss team takes Alabama to the wire.

Rankings are correct - great job Dan.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostThe Playmaker, on 05 November 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

I would put LSU over Florida.

View PostGoDores, on 05 November 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

LSU and Florida should be swapped, I agree with the rest

I thought about it, but in the end I couldn't justify putting LSU with 2 losses over a team with only 1 loss that beat them by a larger margin than Alabama did.

It may have been a close loss, but it was still a loss and it was the Tigers' 2nd. And I really don't believe they're any different now than they were when they lost to Florida. I think the environment played a huge factor for them at home.

Edited by HobnailedBoots, 05 November 2012 - 07:58 AM.

Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If you swap lsu and florida you have to swap jawja and south carolina
Posted Image

bluelightstar

bluelightstar

State Alum, UA Law Student

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
WE SHOULD BE NUMBER 60 ON THIS LIST
Posted Image

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
1-Alabama...eventual national champ.
2-LSU...I know, I know....if they were in a different conference, they'd be playing (and losing to) Bama in the BCS CG.
3-Georgia...getting better and better.
4-Florida...getting worse and worse.
5-South Carolina...without Lattimore, not near as dangerous.
6-aTm...LOVE that QB, will win the Heisman next year if his team is worth a ish.
7-Mississippi State...by default, running out of teams to rank.
8-Vanderbilt...having a great year.
9-Ole Miss...getting better, MUCH better.
10-Arkansas...rated just above "suck".
11-Tennessee...they suck.
12-Missouri...they suck.
13-Auburn...they suck.
14-Kentucky...we suck.

Edited by SECats, 05 November 2012 - 08:11 AM.

2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHaymaker, on 05 November 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

Exposed us? We weren't exposed? We played a helluva team that had a qb cone out of his shell and play his best game ever, a team with a mad on from hell, in their back yard, that had a week off, in a game where we lost two unforced fumbles, one on a run into the end zone, the other on a punt return giving them the ball on our 25.

All of that plus some. Does anyone really believe LSU prepared for North Texas, Idaho, Auburn, or Towson? AND they still didn't, couldn't beat Bama!

razorhead

razorhead

The Devil You Know

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

How was Bama exposed?  They were exposed as knowing how to win a tight game?

Let's face it, LSU played over their heads.  This game was to LSU as UGA was to SC.  The difference is Bama was too good for LSU to get it done.  I look for LSU to fold their tent and lose 2 more.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

I think if a QB that makes his fanbase pine for Jordan Jefferson, can have the best game of his life against you, that a weakness has been shown.

Edited by JoeGator, 05 November 2012 - 11:54 AM.

shamoan

shamoan

I am a double-major in sticks and mud.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
the talent gap between the top 6 and the bottom 8 is huge.

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 05 November 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

I think if a QB that makes his fanbase pine for Jordan Jefferson, can have the best game of his life against you, that a weakness has been shown.

Elaborate..what weaknesses did you see?

Give the LSU coaches and Mett credit, and most importantly their rebuilt offensive line.  Good gameplan to limit the pressure we could get on Mett, and he made Matt Barkley throws, often times into perfect coverage.  In a game where due to the offenses history, no one expected them to even have confidence throwing the ball at all.  The fact that they'd established a rushing attack, just kept us off balance.

The only weakness Bama has in relative to other teams is we don't have a pass rusher like Marcel Dareus, D Hightower, or Upshaw this year.   But our secondary is still second to none overall.

Edited by M2J, 05 November 2012 - 12:04 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePVG FTMFW still  ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostM2J, on 05 November 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Elaborate..what weaknesses did you see?

Give the LSU coaches and Mett credit, and most importantly their rebuilt offensive line.  Good gameplan to limit the pressure we could get on Mett, and he made Matt Barkley throws, often times into perfect coverage.  In a game where due to the offenses history, no one expected them to even have confidence throwing the ball at all.  The fact that they'd established a rushing attack, just kept us off balance.

The only weakness Bama has in relative to other teams is we don't have a pass rusher like Marcel Dareus, D Hightower, or Upshaw this year.   But our secondary is still second to none overall.

Here's the issue with Bama fans.
No one is comparing them to other teams. We are comparing them to the "ultimate" team that doesn't exist.

I will say that you are right about his throws. A couple were absolutely perfect and a few were darn close to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users