The Official 2012-2013 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread - Page 11 - The Pros - SECTalk.com - Page 11

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

The Official 2012-2013 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
607 replies to this topic

Show Stopper

Show Stopper

I run this show...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I damn told you all we should have traded for Revere!  He would've been a GREAT fit for us and given who the Phillies gave the Twins for him we could have easily matched that without giving up too many big prospects.

My :lanekiffin: ing god.
Posted Image

KnoxvilleDawg

KnoxvilleDawg

ALL HAIL LORD MERLIN

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
They essentially traded what amounts to Minor and Teheran for him. If the Braves knew he was available, I applaud Wren for staying away from having to give up that much. Phillies are afforded the luxury of trading away all their top prospects, Braves are not.

SECTalk Hater's Club Inspiration

Formerly known as Meo Stansbury

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

More than 200 rushing yards!

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMeo Stansbury, on 06 December 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

They essentially traded what amounts to Minor and Teheran for him. If the Braves knew he was available, I applaud Wren for staying away from having to give up that much. Phillies are afforded the luxury of trading away all their top prospects, Braves are not.

That may be true, but it's not like we would have had to have gone down that route. We could have traded them Teheran, Walden, and Gilmartin and still be fine for this year and the future and that'd be more value than they're getting from the Twins.

View PostTider27, on 18 November 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

We won't have to stack the box, our athletes are better. Read the first sentence, Auburn won't have over 175. Bet anything you want, it's not gonna happen. That's the one thing Bama can do without a doubt 100% mark it down, and have been for years.

View PostTider27, on 18 November 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

If you're going to bet, it will be longer than signing day. This is a rivalry that lasts 365 days, you would have to at least keep it until next football season or this isn't even worth mentioning. Besides, Bama could be winning late in the game and the scrubs get the 200.
Either way, it won't be happening to Bama's defense.
Posted ImagePosted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
We got Reed Johnson back. At least we got something right.
Posted Image

StallingsBaldSpot

StallingsBaldSpot

conquer and prevail

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 06 December 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

We got Reed Johnson back. At least we got something right.

That's about the only thing we got out of the winter meetings.
Twitter: @country_cookin
Formerly known as vandyfan84

Colonel Black Bear

Colonel Black Bear
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
White Sox are shopping De Aza.  Lets get him!  We need a leadoff guy.

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'd like De Aza. Wonder about how much we'd need to give up for him though.
Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
We're one outfielder away from being a very complete team once again.

Bench: Reed Johnson and Evan Gattis give us two very strong RHB options off the bench. I can't even remember the last time we could say that. Juan has supposedly trimmed down and is raking in Winter Ball. If we get one more left-handed hitter (preferably an infielder) for the bench, we'd be in great shape. Even though Laird is a step down from Ross, our bench could be stronger than last year from an overall standpoint.

Bullpen: Possibly the deepest in MLB. We have the most dominant pitcher in baseball closing out games in the 9th, as many as THREE very strong lefties (while many, many teams in baseball would love to have just one) in EOF, Venters and Avilan...and with the addition of Walden we have a legit hard throwing, right-handed setup guy to complement all those lefties. Guys like Gearrin and Cristhian Martinez round out the 'pen and they are good enough to be used in a variety of situations.

Rotation: We don't have that one single dominating force (a Verlander, Kershaw et type..) but I'd say top-to-bottom we are rock solid. Medlen can go on an onslaught (as we saw last year), Tim Hudson is as steady of a vet as they come, Mike Minor has begun to bloom into his true potential, Maholm will be effective more times than not and we have two talented young guys in Delgado and Teheran who are overdue in terms of their opportunity to be a regular part of a MLB rotation. Plus, we get Beachy back in July/August. Our pitching will be good enough to keep us in the race for the entire year, and we have solid-enough depth to survive an injury or two (even without Hanson).

Lineup: We are still missing that final piece (I don't necessarily think it's a "leadoff" hitter, but I'd say our greatest need is a guy who can get on base)...but outside of that, there's tremendous power potential with this lineup (5 guys who have 20 + homer seasons), versatility in guys who can hit in different parts of the order and a pretty effective balance of lefties and righties.

Get us an outfielder who is a successful OBP guy and we'll have one of the top 5 teams in the NL once again.
Posted Image

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Lets just sign Ichiro for a year. He can lead off, play good defense, has a great arm, and he's a future Hall of Famer. I go to a few games a year and if absolutely love to see Ichiro play in person. He bring in some extra revenue, he's still really popular in Japan so we could expand our market and fan base a little bit, and he'd fill our needs until we can get someone permanent.

We won't have to stack the box, our athletes are better. Read the first sentence, Auburn won't have over 175. Bet anything you want, it's not gonna happen. That's the one thing Bama can do without a doubt 100% mark it down, and have been for years.

If you're going to bet, it will be longer than signing day. This is a rivalry that lasts 365 days, you would have to at least keep it until next football season or this isn't even worth mentioning. Besides, Bama could be winning late in the game and the scrubs get the 200.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Show Stopper

Show Stopper

I run this show...

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Looks like the Phillies are making a push for Michael Young.

Its more IMPERATIVE THAN EVER NOW that we make a move of our own.  The Nationals have upgraded and the Phillies are making upgrades and the Braves have been ho-hum all season long for the most part.

We need another OF right away and preferrably someone who can get one base.  Justin Upton on line 1 please...
Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Guess we can count Alex Gordon out. Sigh. Royals no longer need pitching help.

I literally have no idea who we are going to get...if anyone.

I am starting to smell some sort of Francisco/Gattis/Georgie/Reed type of platoon.
Posted Image

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Im becoming very disheartened.
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas

Show Stopper

Show Stopper

I run this show...

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Lord have mercy....
Posted Image

StallingsBaldSpot

StallingsBaldSpot

conquer and prevail

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Fire Wren!
Twitter: @country_cookin
Formerly known as vandyfan84

Neil Caudle is Superman

Neil Caudle is Superman

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Even if we don't add anybody else, we have a good team, guys. We made the big CF move that we needed to make. We still have a pretty fearsome lineup without trading for or signing anyone else.

Posted ImagePosted Image