Upcoming playoffs.... What happens when? - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

Upcoming playoffs.... What happens when?

- - - - - Arkansas Razorbacks Alabama Crimson Tide LSU Tigers Georgia Bulldogs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

hog_heaven

hog_heaven
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
(Just because I am bored at work and want to see what more educated college football fans can come up with since my coworkers are looking at me like I am crazy)

Take the four team playoff format and put it into effect this season... (hypothetically) And at the end of the regular season in the SEC you have this...

Alabama 11-1 (loses to Ark)
Arkansas 11-1 (loses to LSU)
LSU 11-1 (loses to Bama)
Georgia 10-2 (loses to SC and FL)
USCe 10-2 (loses to Ark and LSU)

So you have the final BCS rankings deciding the west (For this fun discussion we will say it is Bama since they lost earlier in the season, then beat LSU later in the season that jumps Ark's ranking after losing to LSU) vs USCe (because of the tiebreaker for direct victory over UGA).

Now, say USCe wins the SEC Championship game vs Bama.

So you would have the final polls trying to shuffle around between: (alphabetical order)

Alabama 11-2 (Lost to Ark and too SC in the SEC CG)
Arkansas 11-1   (Lost to LSU but didn't make the SEC CG because of tie breakers)
LSU 11-1 (Lost to Bama but didn't make the SEC CG because of tie breakers)
Oklahoma 11-1   (lost to Texas, with no conference CG)
Oregon 12-1    (Undefeated during the regular season but losing to USCw in the PAC-12 CG)
USCe 11-2   (who lost twice during the regular season to LSU and Ark but are the SEC Champs by beating Bama)
USCw 12-1 (Losing to Oregon during the regular season but beating Oregon in the PAC-12 CG)
Wisconsin 12-1 (losing to Mich St during the regular season but winning the BIG-10 CG)

Even if you automatically eliminated the CG losers... That takes Bama, and Oregon out of the equation. So you are still left with six teams for the four spots:

Ark
LSU
OU
USCe
USCw
Wisconsin

Four team playoff doesn't solve this... And sadly what would probably happen is they would throw in the conference champions only (OU, USCe, USCw, and Wisconsin) so they don't have to deal with the dominance of the SEC.

But, I want to know whatcha got for this scenario SECTalk?

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Posthog_heaven, on 03 August 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

(Just because I am bored at work and want to see what more educated college football fans can come up with since my coworkers are looking at me like I am crazy)

Take the four team playoff format and put it into effect this season... (hypothetically) And at the end of the regular season in the SEC you have this...

LSU 11-1 (loses to Bama)

So you have the final BCS rankings deciding the west (For this fun discussion we will say it is Bama since they lost earlier in the season, then beat LSU later in the season that jumps Ark's ranking after losing to LSU) vs USCe (because of the tiebreaker for direct victory over UGA).

So you would have the final polls trying to shuffle around between: (alphabetical order)

Arkansas 11-1   (Lost to LSU but didn't make the SEC CG because of tie breakers)
Oregon 12-1    (Undefeated during the regular season but losing to USCw in the PAC-12 CG)
USCe 11-2   (who lost twice during the regular season to LSU and Ark but are the SEC Champs by beating Bama)
USCw 12-1 (Losing to Oregon during the regular season but beating Oregon in the PAC-12 CG)
Wisconsin 12-1 (losing to Mich St during the regular season but winning the BIG-10 CG)

Even if you automatically eliminated the CG losers... That takes Bama, and Oregon out of the equation. So you are still left with six teams for the four spots:

Ark
LSU
OU
USCe
USCw
Wisconsin

Four team playoff doesn't solve this... And sadly what would probably happen is they would throw in the conference champions only (OU, USCe, USCw, and Wisconsin) so they don't have to deal with the dominance of the SEC.

I think that in this scenario it would go to LSU, OU, USCw, and Wisconsin. I don't think that you would be able to send USCe to the four team playoff with 2 losses and that many 1 loss teams. I think you would have to include all of the conference champions with 1 loss and then have LSU in there. It was between LSU and Arkansas for me but LSU won the head to head so I gave it to them. However I don't think there is going to be this many teams with 1 loss seasons and I ceretainly don't think Arkansas will be 1 loss.
Posted Image

Dawgy_Style

Dawgy_Style
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Honestly, they need to go to an 8 playoff team system.

We've established that there has to be a playoff, how about one that isn't half assed.

Say
Georgia is 13-0
Michigan is 12-1(loss to 9-2 Wisconsin)
USC is 12-1(Loss to 9-2 Stanford)
Texas is 11-1(Loss to 9-2 Oklahoma)
Florida is 11-1(Loss to 13-0 UGA)

Should Florida be left out because they lost to the best team just because that other team is already there or their conference is already represented?
In that situation, Florida has the best loss and similar records to the other teams.

bmccall, on 17 July 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

Our phenominal fan base and support is our tradition. Unfortunately winning isnt.

Alabama claims the 1941 season as a national championship, even though they finished the season with a 9-2 record, including losses to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt, and were ranked #20 in the final AP poll.

I rape and pillage your village, women and children - Jay Z, Obama's BFF

Posted Image

“Real change can happen only when we commit ourselves to rebuilding civil society in America, meaning a society based on family, religion, civic and social institutions, and peaceful cooperation through markets.” -Ron Paul

KneesInTheBreeze

KneesInTheBreeze

KneesInTheBreeze

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
13-0 Georgia?  Does your elevator run all the way to the top?

Obama is an incompetent boob!

Posted Image

Sometimes mistaken for the Legendary Geaux

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgy_Style, on 04 August 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

Honestly, they need to go to an 8 playoff team system.

We've established that there has to be a playoff, how about one that isn't half assed.

Say
Georgia is 13-0
Michigan is 12-1(loss to 9-2 Wisconsin)
USC is 12-1(Loss to 9-2 Stanford)
Texas is 11-1(Loss to 9-2 Oklahoma)
Florida is 11-1(Loss to 13-0 UGA)

Should Florida be left out because they lost to the best team just because that other team is already there or their conference is already represented?
In that situation, Florida has the best loss and similar records to the other teams.
Your scenario with Georgia and Florida is exactly the same as Bama and LSU last year. I also think that the same thing that happened last year would happen again. I think in that scenario you would have to leave off Texas. I think that we will go to an 8 team playoff before this current 4 team playoff contract is up.
Posted Image

Dawgy_Style

Dawgy_Style
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostKneesInTheBreeze, on 04 August 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

13-0 Georgia?  Does your elevator run all the way to the top?

Are you really going to argue about fictional future records?

Just be glad I complemented Flawda, I don't think there is a chance in hell they go 11-1 in the near future.

bmccall, on 17 July 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

Our phenominal fan base and support is our tradition. Unfortunately winning isnt.

Alabama claims the 1941 season as a national championship, even though they finished the season with a 9-2 record, including losses to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt, and were ranked #20 in the final AP poll.

I rape and pillage your village, women and children - Jay Z, Obama's BFF

Posted Image

“Real change can happen only when we commit ourselves to rebuilding civil society in America, meaning a society based on family, religion, civic and social institutions, and peaceful cooperation through markets.” -Ron Paul

FlyingEagle

FlyingEagle

HornyEagle

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
How can arky lsu and bama be 11-1 when they play each other?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Benny

Benny

Mike Slive, Jr.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFlyingEagle, on 04 August 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

LSU loses to Arkansas, Arkansas loses to Alabama, Alabama loses to LSU?

Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

r u serios?
Posted Image

ElephanTideis

ElephanTideis
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Posted Image

Booger

Booger

Gump Humper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Posthog_heaven, on 03 August 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

LSU 11-1 (loses to Bama)

Ark
LSU
OU
USCe
USCw
Wisconsin

That's an interesting scenario.... and the perfect storm to cock block the SEC... you certainly put a lot of thought into it. Not at all out of the realm of possibility.

Edited by Booger, 04 August 2012 - 11:28 PM.

When it's 3rd and 10, we shuffle out our secret weapon... he's the only person we ever want calling the next play... some call him the twelfth man.... we call him the whiskey drinker...

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
gene stallings has it right. win your games and the nc will take care of itself. damn second chance generation is going to turn college football into we don't keep score soccer. as it is this year and previous years every weekend of college football is like the first weekend of the basketball tourny. how much more fun can you get for 14 weeks?
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

hog_heaven

hog_heaven
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 04 August 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

I think that in this scenario it would go to LSU, OU, USCw, and Wisconsin. I don't think that you would be able to send USCe to the four team playoff with 2 losses and that many 1 loss teams. I think you would have to include all of the conference champions with 1 loss and then have LSU in there. It was between LSU and Arkansas for me but LSU won the head to head so I gave it to them. However I don't think there is going to be this many teams with 1 loss seasons and I ceretainly don't think Arkansas will be 1 loss.

This was just an example of what could happen? I am not saying Arkansas will only have 1 loss. Honestly, this is what I predicted for them this year, but that has nothing to do with this thread. It is just a hypothetical situation.

FlyingEagle

FlyingEagle

HornyEagle

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGidnik, on 04 August 2012 - 10:31 PM, said:

r u serios?

View PostBenny, on 04 August 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

LSU loses to Arkansas, Arkansas loses to Alabama, Alabama loses to LSU?

View PostElephanTideis, on 04 August 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

Posted Image

For some reason my quick once-over confused me, making me think of 4 instead of 3 teams, implying at least one team with two losses. Brain fart.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think they'd probably take SC in that scenario, just to show that they really are putting an emphasis on winning your conference. It would be a huge clusterPosted Image in that scenario, but I'm not sure the SEC could really argue for a 2nd team. The only decent case would be to leave oklahoma out and put in a 2nd SEC team. I don't think the big 12 will be very good, and they don't have a CCG. But I don't see them doing that because lots of people still feel like they screwed ok. st. last season, so they aren't going to follow that up by leaving out a 1 loss conference champion again.

And if we wait to apply it when the playoff takes effect the big 12 will probably have a CCG by then so it won't matter.