Vince Dooley says losing Isaiah Crowell ‘best thing to happen’ for Bulldogs - Page 3 - Georgia Sports - SECTalk.com - Page 3

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Vince Dooley says losing Isaiah Crowell ‘best thing to happen’ for Bulldogs

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postgatorhater, on 10 July 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Negative.  Very few schools nationwide enforce testing the way Michael Adams has set it up to work.  Only 2 SEC schools enforce mandatory suspensions for first-time offenders (UGA and Kentucky).

SEC
Alabama: (1) none; (2) 15 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.
Arkansas: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 50 percent of games; (4) dismissal.
Auburn: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
Florida: For marijuana/synthetic marijuana: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 20 percent of games; (4) dismissal. For all other drugs: (1) 50 percent of games; (2) dismissal.
Georgia: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
Kentucky: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
LSU: (1) none; (2) "up to 15 percent of games;" (3) one year.
Ole Miss: (1) none; (2) none; (3) three games.
Mississippi State: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.
South Carolina: (1) none; (2) 25 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
Tennessee: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
Texas A&M: (1) none; (2) "possible suspension;" (3) possible dismissal.

I see what you mean now, but I was under the impression you guys think the local cops are easier on athletes from the rest of the schools in general.
I wasn't talking about failed drug tests.

View PostMiden, on 10 July 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Any team that's had Urban Meyer as their coach doesn't have any room to talk about other school's being lenient with player discipline. Muschamp does seem to be cleaning the place up from what I've seen though.

I feel like we've only had a small handful of actually embarassing crimes committed in the last few years.
Almost all the arrests and discipline issues come from smoking weed. You'd think they would have figured it out by now.

GatorHater24

GatorHater24
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 10 July 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

I see what you mean now, but I was under the impression you guys think the local cops are easier on athletes from the rest of the schools in general.

I feel like we've only had a small handful of actually embarassing crimes committed in the last few years.
Almost all the arrests and discipline issues come from smoking weed. You'd think they would have figured it out by now.

I think they are, I mean we recruit the same kids, they could go either way yet it seems we have more arrested in Athens for minor offenses. Everyone who has been to school in Athens knows that cops there are particularly dickish.

Edited by GatorHater24, 10 July 2012 - 08:02 PM.

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 10 July 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

They are. I believe we have an audio tape on file somewhere of several UF basketball players in the back of a cop car in St. Augustine saying "this isn't Gainesville, bro. We're not getting off."

Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Knoxville, Gainesville.... there are plenty of SEC cities where the cops simply turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff or let the coaching staff resolve it. Do I have proof of it? Of course not, but there are plenty of people who have known about it going on and talked about it. There's no such leniency in Athens.

Be honest - have you EVER seen a Gator football player charged with "emerging from an alley?" Or had a player arrested because he was present when some other students were shooting fireworks off, and when asked, didn't give his middle name? We have. UGA police are complete dickheads. And they get a hard-on anytime they see a football player, they flat out GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to make an arrest. There's simply no other explanation for why a player like Jordan Love would get arrested for misspelling his middle name, and committing no other crime.

Washaun Ealey was charged with hit and run a couple of years back for bumping into another car in the campus parking deck outside his dorm, and going back inside the dorm before the cops had arrived. One of our players (forget who) was charged with theft because he took a scooter helmet from the Rankin smith center that wasn't his, and one of the other university athletes pressed charges. Now tell me at which other SEC school does that not simply result in a call to the head coach and internal resolution?

I'm not telling you that everything that our guys have done is right, or that they're never guilty. I'm just saying that our guys never get away with ANYTHING, and it's not because they're any more "bad" than players at any other school. It's because at other schools, minor offenses like I've just mentioned get swept under the rug and handled internally.

Edited by HobnailedBoots, 10 July 2012 - 08:11 PM.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorHater24, on 10 July 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

I think they are, I mean we recruit the same kids, they could go either way yet it seems we have more arrested in Athens for minor offenses. Everyone who has been to school in Athens knows that cops there are particularly dickish.

Right, I don't doubt that.
What I was getting at is that the cops at most other schools are dicks too.
You hear about this crap everywhere except from the Alabama and Mississippi schools it seems.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 10 July 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

They are. I believe we have an audio tape on file somewhere of several UF basketball players in the back of a cop car in St. Augustine saying "this isn't Gainesville, bro. We're not getting off."

Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Knoxville, Gainesville.... there are plenty of SEC cities where the cops simply turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff or let the coaching staff resolve it. Do I have proof of it? Of course not, but there are plenty of people who have known about it going on and talked about it. There's no such leniency in Athens.

Be honest - have you EVER seen a Gator football player charged with "emerging from an alley?" Or had a player arrested because he was present when some other students were shooting fireworks off, and when asked, didn't give his middle name? We have. UGA police are complete dickheads. And they get a hard-on anytime they see a football player, they flat out GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to make an arrest. There's simply no other explanation for why a player like Jordan Love would get arrested for misspelling his middle name, and committing no other crime.

OK, I should have been more specific.
I mean that I don't think there are tons of cover ups across the SEC, except at UGA.
I meant that the cops at UGA are dicks, most of the rest of the SEC are normal, and at Alabama and Auburn trade pictures with their favorite players for warnings instead of arrests.

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 10 July 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

OK, I should have been more specific.
I mean that I don't think there are tons of cover ups across the SEC, except at UGA.
I meant that the cops at UGA are dicks, most of the rest of the SEC are normal, and at Alabama and Auburn trade pictures with their favorite players for warnings instead of arrests.

Consider this: if Crowell had gone to Auburn, and was stopped at a checkpoint like he was a couple of weeks ago in Athens, do you think the cops there say "Hmmm, Mr. Crowell, we think we smell weed, we're going to need to search your car?"  I highly doubt it. And if they don't search the car for weed, they never find the gun, there are never any charges pressed and Isaiah Crowell would still be playing for Auburn. Same thing for Alabama. Hell, I suspect that just about at every other city in the SEC, had Isaiah Crowell been stopped by campus police at a checkpoint, they would have seen his face and waved him on.

I'm not justifying Crowell's stupidity in having that gun in his car, just pointing out that in all likelihood, at 8/12 other SEC schools, he never gets in trouble for that.

Edited by HobnailedBoots, 10 July 2012 - 08:23 PM.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 10 July 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

Consider this: if Crowell had gone to Auburn, and was stopped at a checkpoint like he was a couple of weeks ago in Athens, do you think the cops there say "Hmmm, Mr. Crowell, we think we smell weed, we're going to need to search your car?"  I highly doubt it. And if they don't search the car for weed, they never find the gun, there are never any charges pressed and Isaiah Crowell would still be playing for Auburn. Same thing for Alabama. Hell, I suspect that just about at every other city in the SEC, had Isaiah Crowell been stopped by campus police at a checkpoint, they would have seen his face and waved him on.

I'm not justifying Crowell's stupidity in having that gun in his car, just pointing out that in all likelihood, at 8/12 other SEC schools, he never gets in trouble for that.

You really believe that 8/12 he would have gotten away with that?
I was thinking more like 4/12 or 4/14  now.

Eh, I don't care enough to keep talking about it, and I certainly don't know enough about it to.

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 10 July 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

You really believe that 8/12 he would have gotten away with that?
I was thinking more like 4/12 or 4/14  now.

Eh, I don't care enough to keep talking about it, and I certainly don't know enough about it to.

Absolutely. I really REALLY doubt that there are four other schools in this conference at which the campus police would stop the team's star RB and four other players at a checkpoint and decide they needed to search the vehicle.

GatorHater24

GatorHater24
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 10 July 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Absolutely. I really REALLY doubt that there are four other schools in this conference at which the campus police would stop the team's star RB and four other players at a checkpoint and decide they needed to search the vehicle.

It shows, people are dumb enough to think it has to do with coaching. UGA arrest almost always come from minor offenses, yet you only hear about it from other schools when its something big like a felony.

How else do you explain it? We recruit the exact same guys as everyone else in the school

Perfect example, Percy Harvin (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong on this, I do forget the specifics)... but isn't it true that he was NEVER suspended for marijuana usage? But the guy couldn't stop long enough to make it past NFL testing for it? Again I could be wrong but thats the way I remember it.

Bigdaddydog1

Bigdaddydog1
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
well my comment is kind of off the current conversation. But I just wanted to mention that I understand the point Dooley was trying to make. But from a talent perspective. I do not think losing Crowell was the best thing to happen to UGA.  The word at begining of spring was that he-(IC)- was working hard & had a good attitude. I re watched the sc & UGA game last night on espn & IC had a really good game & he has alot of talent.  Good vision & speed. And most of the time even when hit he falls forward for a few yards. The best thing to happen to UGA would have been for him to keep his nose clean & keep working hard & I believe his season would have been really productive. And then you add in the other RB's to help share the load. Injuries would have been very unlikely. It's like crying over spilled milk. But like him or not. we really could have benifited from his talent.

Bigdaddydog1

Bigdaddydog1
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Wanted to add one more thing. I read the Ealey had a 1000 yard rushing season last year at Jacksonville St. I predict IC will extreamly break some records at Alabama ST. Providing he is not in jail.

Edited by Bigdaddydog1, 10 July 2012 - 10:14 PM.