Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Vince Dooley says losing Isaiah Crowell ‘best thing to happen’ for Bulldogs

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
http://blogs.ajc.com...n-for-bulldogs/

“I don’t want to put any pressure on them, but losing that guy may have been the best thing to happen to them,” said Dooley, who coached the Bulldogs to six SEC championships and one national title in 25 seasons. “It was a bad-apple type thing, if you ask me.”

“Bad apple” was the second term Dooley used to describe Crowell’s effect on the team. The first was more effective but he asked me not to use it.

Dooley said Crowell undoubtedly is a talented football player and probably was the Bulldogs’ best option at tailback. But the negative effects as far as being a troublemaker and a distraction far out-weighed any skills he brought to the field, Dooley said.

Nice to hear something like that coming from Vince, a guy that would know. But I'm dying to know what his 1st choice of words was... Thug?
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Now that Crowell is gone, “That kind of thing will unite a team many times,” Dooley said. “Historically when things like this have happened in the past, they tend to have a unifying effect on teams. They go on to have an even better season than they were predicted to have.”

More of what I want to hear. Why didn't Vince run for office again? He would have been the 2nd democrat I would have voted for in my life. Good 'ole Zig Zag Zell being the 1st.

I DID vote against Zell for governor, which I regret, but for him for Senate. Then I moved to AL...

Edited by dcbl, 10 July 2012 - 04:27 AM.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Sad but true. The fact that there were 4 underclassmen with Crowell that night scares me.  Players have enough problems staying outta trouble without Crowell instigating it. I did hear he was getting his act together on the field and in the gym which is great, unfortuneatly he neglected to do that for his life.  LIke the saying goes, "one bad apple spoils the bunch." Sad this happened to such a talented back but glad to have one less negative distraction on campus.

Posted Image

Georgia Bulldogs 1-0 (0-0)

Posted Image

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Here's an interesting nugget: the last 3 times Alabama State enrolled a high profile transfer from an SEC school, the original school went on to win a national championship the following season.
Posted Image

Georgiaboy2012

Georgiaboy2012
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postgatorhater, on 10 July 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

Here's an interesting nugget: the last 3 times Alabama State enrolled a high profile transfer from an SEC school, the original school went on to win a national championship the following season.

That's exactly what I like to hear

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

United We Stand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Addition by subtraction.  But the concern for me if I was a UGA fan would the the recent history with high profile RB coming from Georgia.  The last stud running back that panned out for UGA was Knowshon and he was from NJ.

Time and time again RBs from the state of Georgia heading to UGA have had either many legal problems or just flat out under performed.

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

eastcoastrazorback

eastcoastrazorback

Gagging Order

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I agree with Dooley.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTrueGCFan, on 10 July 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

Addition by subtraction.  But the concern for me if I was a UGA fan would the the recent history with high profile RB coming from Georgia.  The last stud running back that panned out for UGA was Knowshon and he was from NJ.

Time and time again RBs from the state of Georgia heading to UGA have had either many legal problems or just flat out under performed.

Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. Crowell didn't pan out for sure, and neither did Washaun Ealey or Caleb King. But Thomas Brown, Danny Ware and Kregg Lumpkin were all very good backs for us, and all play in the NFL now. All of them were home grown here in Georgia. Whether there is a systematic problem in Georgia with some of these kids now, who can say? Could just be luck of the draw. It's not like we were the only school recruiting any of those kids, everyone else did too.

I know I'll get mocked for saying this - but I maintain that a lot of our troubles are because we have a stricter drug policy than other schools, we test more than other schools, and the UGA police get a hard-on every time they see a football player. At some other places in the SEC, a lot of stuff our guys get picked up for would simply result in a call to the head caoch. Here, they're booked. Doesn't matter if it's something as trivial as "emerging from an alley," they're going to have the book thrown at them and be tarred and feathered by the Atlanta fishrag and the anti-athletics Red and Black newspaper.

GatorHater24

GatorHater24
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think Marshall has a good head on his shoulders, of course the only thing I have to go by is his GPA and talk that I've heard.

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorHater24, on 10 July 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

I think Marshall has a good head on his shoulders, of course the only thing I have to go by is his GPA and talk that I've heard.

He's from North Carolina though.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 10 July 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

I know I'll get mocked for saying this - but I maintain that a lot of our troubles are because we have a stricter drug policy than other schools, we test more than other schools, and the UGA police get a hard-on every time they see a football player. At some other places in the SEC, a lot of stuff our guys get picked up for would simply result in a call to the head caoch. Here, they're booked. Doesn't matter if it's something as trivial as "emerging from an alley," they're going to have the book thrown at them and be tarred and feathered by the Atlanta fishrag and the anti-athletics Red and Black newspaper.

As you should be.

Really the only schools who are super lenient with their athletes (or so it seems) are the Alabama and Mississippi schools.

Edited by JoeGator, 10 July 2012 - 10:54 AM.

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 10 July 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

As you should be.

Really the only schools who are super lenient with their athletes (or so it seems) are the Alabama and Mississippi schools.

Negative.  Very few schools nationwide enforce testing the way Michael Adams has set it up to work.  Only 2 SEC schools enforce mandatory suspensions for first-time offenders (UGA and Kentucky).

SEC
Alabama: (1) none; (2) 15 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.
Arkansas: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 50 percent of games; (4) dismissal.
Auburn: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
Florida: For marijuana/synthetic marijuana: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 20 percent of games; (4) dismissal. For all other drugs: (1) 50 percent of games; (2) dismissal.
Georgia: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
Kentucky: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
LSU: (1) none; (2) "up to 15 percent of games;" (3) one year.
Ole Miss: (1) none; (2) none; (3) three games.
Mississippi State: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.
South Carolina: (1) none; (2) 25 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
Tennessee: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
Texas A&M: (1) none; (2) "possible suspension;" (3) possible dismissal.
Posted Image

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postgatorhater, on 10 July 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Negative.  Very few schools nationwide enforce testing the way Michael Adams has set it up to work.  Only 2 SEC schools enforce mandatory suspensions for first-time offenders (UGA and Kentucky).

SEC
Alabama: (1) none; (2) 15 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.
Arkansas: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 50 percent of games; (4) dismissal.
Auburn: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
Florida: For marijuana/synthetic marijuana: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 20 percent of games; (4) dismissal. For all other drugs: (1) 50 percent of games; (2) dismissal.
Georgia: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
Kentucky: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
LSU: (1) none; (2) "up to 15 percent of games;" (3) one year.
Ole Miss: (1) none; (2) none; (3) three games.
Mississippi State: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.
South Carolina: (1) none; (2) 25 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
Tennessee: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) dismissal.
Texas A&M: (1) none; (2) "possible suspension;" (3) possible dismissal.
Where are Vandy and Mizzou on that list?

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think that the NCAA should make a set number of suspensions and dismissal for all student athletes. All schools must follow it but they could make it a longer suspension or more severe if thats what the school wants.  http://www.columbiam...created-equally

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 10 July 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

Where are Vandy and Mizzou on that list?

Vandy is private and not subject to public records requests.  Not sure about Mizzou.
Posted Image