UGA fan responds to Cornelius Washington's reaction to Crowell dismissal - Page 6 - Georgia Sports - SECTalk.com - Page 6

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

UGA fan responds to Cornelius Washington's reaction to Crowell dismissal

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTheRealBrave, on 09 July 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

No, but if Washington was white we all know that comment about the apology wouldn't have been made.
nothing to do with race. Everything to do with going from illiterate mongoloid to rhodes scholar in one twitter/facebook post.
Posted Image

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:

View PostGidnik, on 10 July 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

nothing to do with race. Everything to do with going from illiterate mongoloid to rhodes scholar in one twitter/facebook post.

Let's see... maybe it has something to do with one being a spur-of-the-moment facebook post (I submit your poorly composed sentence as exhibit A) and the other being a well thought out and composed statement. He's a Posted Imageing COLLEGE STUDENT, dude, at the University of Georgia which isn't a podunk cow school. I'm fairly certain that in four years of school at my alma mater, he's learned how to compose a statement. I'm sure he wrote essays with more attention to his grammar than he (or anyone else) would with a typical facebook post.

Or are you here to tell me that everyone posts with attention to perfect grammar and punctuation on the internet??

Thought not.

Edited by HobnailedBoots, 10 July 2012 - 07:43 PM.

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Banned
  • Cash:
You guys are douchebags. Seriously.

"What a thug. When I was a kid, we would have taken responsibility for our errors and owned up to them and moved on."

> Washington takes responsibility for his error and owns up to it

"There's no way he wrote that."

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, I suppose. As I said before, y'all aren't interested in the character of the individual, you just want to bitch about young people that were gifted with a talent that you weren't.

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Banned
  • Cash:
THIS post, from Georgia Sports blog, sums up the whole episode pretty nicely, and seems like a pretty good note to end on here.

First, the fan's response is over the top, blatantly rude, and dead on point. I don't think there is a single Georgia fan out there that didn't think some or most of the same things. Does that make him the more right person here? No, of course not. I don't think Washington ever meant that Crowell shouldn't face consequences. He did express frustration that folks were (rightly or wrongly) using some pretty harsh language to describe Crowell instead of hurting for Crowell and what he did to his life.

Washington was right, too. There are plenty of Georgia fans that don't see these kids as anything more than numbers on jerseys. There is no other explanation for the booing. There is no other explanation for the words you read on various online fora. There just isn't. Where Washington missed the boat is that saying the team doesn't need the fans for survival. He is dead wrong there.

I'd say there are plenty of fans, myself included, that view these players as integral parts of the community I proudly belong to. They represent that community the same way I do. Actually, they do so in a much more visible manner than I do. It is my personal belief that Cornelius Washington was blowing off steam over the heat he picked up last year for his drive through Commerce. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (in the same way I did for Crowell and countless others) because of the way he handled himself post arrest. He served his suspension, still showed up and worked his tail off despite losing playing time, and didn't belly ache about it.

I'm willing to forgive youth being youth, especially when it is words. As for the fans that only view these players a jerseys on a football field, well, I don't have much to add to that other than saying that I believe there are far more fans that think the way I do than there are that think the other way.

Now, do we have team chemistry issues? I don't think so. If...IF...the rumors about Crowell being a distraction are true, despite how much he might have been liked, his being shown the door helped. If they aren't true and the team is 'banding' together around this episode, then great. Anything to get them pulling the oars in the same direction. There are probably a few more issues that will arise due to the trip to the club on June 28th, but one issue we won't have is coaches having to constantly answer questions about Crowell's toughness/dedication/readiness or players having to defend those things.

From what I am hearing the team chemistry is better now than at anytime in the past five or six seasons. Take it with a grain of salt, since I am getting that third hand.

And good for Cornelius Washington apologizing. You can be cynical or sarcastic all you want. Owning up is something we don't see enough of out of grown ass men. Next time you knock a 22 year old for being a 22 year old, you have to also give props when he acts like a man. The fan that responded made that point, as well, something I was glad to see.
http://georgiasports...ia Sports Blog)

dcbl

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I didn't even read the rant by the fan, Bobby Something?

What Washington originally said was out of line. For a grown man to lambast a college student in a public forum is reprehensible.

The fact that Washington issued an apology should end it. Kudos to the young man.

FWIW, the fact that he stuck up for a teammate, even an ex teammate is actually admirable & speaks well for "team unity".

This story need to just go ahead and die...
They don't think it be like it is, but it do!

Posted Image