College Football Playoff - NCAA - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

College Football Playoff

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Which format do you think will be finally decided on for the playoff system. It'll will probabaly end up being a true final four with the four best teams playing in it. I also think that they will use computers to pick the particicpants. My guess is that the location of the games will be rotated through the current BCS bowls. I would also make revenue sharing somewhat equal. I would give all conferences the same amount of money and conferences that had a team in the playoff get double what other conferences get. If you have two teams in the playoff you get triple of what everyone else gets. Just wanting to know what you would do for a playoff if it was up to you and what you think will happen.
Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think you're right. It'll be a "Final Four" with two "semifinal" games played in rotating BCS bowl venues. The conferences will still hold their at-large bid to their respective bowls (ie, SEC to Sugar, Big Ten to Rose, etc) so that way in most seasons, teams will get to play in the bowl games that their conference traditionally plays in... I think it'll be determined by both computer rankings and human polls/selection committee.

I think it'll be designated for the four highest ranked teams, regardless of conference affiliation.

Edited by UAdan, 20 June 2012 - 02:47 PM.

Posted Image

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUAdan, on 20 June 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

I think you're right. It'll be a "Final Four" with two "semifinal" games played in rotating BCS bowl venues. The conferences will still hold their at-large bid to their respective bowls (ie, SEC to Sugar, Big Ten to Rose, etc) so that way in most seasons, teams will get to play in the bowl games that their conference traditionally plays in... I think it'll be determined by both computer rankings and human polls/selection committee.

I think it'll be designated for the four highest ranked teams, regardless of conference affiliation.
Where do you think that the final game will be located and what is your take on revenue sharing. I don't like the idea of a plus one model. The two best teams in the country could play each other in the bowl game and one of them not play in the final championship game. I also don't like the league champions only. I think that it is unfair for teams that play in harder conferences than others. Last year if Georgia were to win the SEC championship game would they have gone to the playoffs. If that would have been the case you would have had the two best teams in the country in LSU and Alabama sitting at home watching the Final Four. I think that it is only fair to have the four best teams play. I also think that they should some how reward schools for strength of schedule to encourage not scheduling out of conference cupcakes.

Edited by Mizzou_Fan, 20 June 2012 - 03:06 PM.

Posted Image

BarnBurner

BarnBurner
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMizzou_Fan, on 20 June 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

Where do you think that the final game will be located and what is your take on revenue sharing. I don't like the idea of a plus one model. The two best teams in the country could play each other in the bowl game and one of them not play in the final championship game.

Why's that a problem?  The team that loses the bowl game doesn't deserve to be #1.  They might deserve to be #2, but the point of the NCG is to match up teams that might be #1.  It's possible the two 'best' teams meet in the semifinal round of a playoff, too.

Squealliam Fatner

Squealliam Fatner

'Cause I'm Captain Kirk, bitch. That's why...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I still think the SECshould go to a 9-game conference schedule. And I'm all for a four-team playoff using the top four teams, regardless of conference affiliation.

shamoan

shamoan

Omaha bound.

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
i like the idea, my only concern is how the top 4 are decided.  it concerns me that if by some miracle a team like msu, om, or usc, among others, were to find themselves up shit creek because they dont have national appeal.  given the same schedule and similar sos, i dont want an ohio state making it over a purdue or miss state or a nc state etc....it scares me with the human element being too involved.  it could possibly become a popularity contest and 10 x out of 10, the new kid on the block is going to get left out.  i dunno, something to think about.

razorhead

razorhead

The Devil You Know

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Still no real playoff system.  I say Posted Image it

Posted Image

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
From what I have heard and read, this is much better than what we currently have. They way I understand it, committee will vote on top 4 based on strength and a few other factors.
What I like in this whole deal is 1) If strength of schedule plays into the consideration for the Top 4, then we will surely get better non-conference matchups among big schools. 2) I like that the championship game host site is bid out to the highest bidding city. You know Jerry Jones will write a massive check to get this game in his stadium at some point.

Its not perfect, but its better than what we have, and I like the top 4 better than conference winners. Top 4 confernce winners would open the door to mass realignment again, hopefully we can avoid that now.
TrevorKnight2.jpg
#11 OKLAHOMA SOONERS 45
#3 Alabama 31

Next vs La Tech 8/30/14
84-17-7 Bedlam Record- Most One Sided In-State Rivalry in College Football
539- weeks ranked in AP top 10- most ever
383 - weeks ranked in AP top 5- most ever
101- weeks ranked #1 in AP poll- most ever
153- 1st Team All Americans
47 game winning streak- longest in FBS history

48 Bowl Games (28-18-1)
44- Conference Titles (8 Big 12)
35- 10 win seasons- Most in FBS history
21-11 win seasons Most in FBS history
12 losing seasons- fewest in college football
7 AP National Titles
5 Heisman Winners
4- Only school with 4 coaches with 100+ wins

Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
orange bloods is saying that ND is coming in all sports but football.

http://texas.rivals....asp?CID=1377426

Two sources in the Big 12 said Wednesday the possibility of Notre Dame moving its Olympic sports out of the Big East and into the Big 12 is becoming more and more likely.

Speculation is growing among those sources that an announcement could come from South Bend before the end of the summer.

As part of such a move, Notre Dame, which has a contract with NBC to televise its home football games through the 2015 season, would agree to play up to six football games against Big 12 competition (but most likely three or so to start with), sources tell Orangebloods.com.

Notre Dame would maintain its independence in football ... for now. If the Irish ever felt compelled to join a conference in football, the Big 12 would be ready and waiting for them. The trusted relationship between Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick can not be underestimated if such a move transpires.

Notre Dame's explanation to the Big East would be that the Big East is no longer the conference the Irish joined as a non-football member back in 1995, the sources said. Since the Irish joined, the Big East has seen Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College leave with Syracuse and Pittsburgh planning to join the ACC in two years.

Incoming Big East members include Central Florida, San Diego State, SMU, Houston and Navy.

One of ND's biggest attractions to the Big 12 is the ability to have its own Tier 3 television network, along the lines of Texas' Longhorn Network. Tier 3 inventory is whatever is left after the TV partners with Tier 1 (ABC/ESPN in the Big 12) and Tier 2 (Fox in the Big 12) rights select the football and basketball games they want to air.

Tier 3 inventory typically consists of 1 or 2 football games (although DeLoss Dodds has told reporters LHN could air three Texas football games in 2012) and less than a dozen basketball games as well as Olympic sports.

Sources in the Big 12 told Orangebloods.com during the league meetings that Notre Dame as a non-football member is the only expansion target that would receive universal approval from the league.

While sources say Texas and Oklahoma favor the Big 12 as a 10-team league for now, there are some in the Big 12 who think a move by Notre Dame - even just its Olympic sports - into the Big 12, could cause a frenzy of interest from football powers in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Orangebloods.com reported last month that Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Miami and Georgia Tech all had efforts made on their behalf to gauge the interest of the Big 12 in expanding. The Big 12 indicated at its conference meetings in Kansas City in late May that it was happy at 10.

And while that was the sentiment then, a potential move by Notre Dame to affiliate with the Big 12, could cause more discussion and possibly a rethinking of the league's current position about bringing in new members.

Stay tuned.
Posted Image

jthomas666

jthomas666

This Space for Rent

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
We all know what the playoff should look like...

Posted Image

:trollface:
Posted Image

Testimonials:

"very fair, very funny, very condemnatory"  -- Harlan Ellison
"That dumbass with the Kermit avatar" -- razorhead

Mizzou_Fan

Mizzou_Fan
  • Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBarnBurner, on 20 June 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

Why's that a problem?  The team that loses the bowl game doesn't deserve to be #1.  They might deserve to be #2, but the point of the NCG is to match up teams that might be #1.  It's possible the two 'best' teams meet in the semifinal round of a playoff, too.
No they won't meet in the semifinal of a playoff because you have the number 1 seed play the number 4 and the number 2 and 3 teams play each other.
Posted Image

Booger

Booger

Gump Humper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBarnBurner, on 20 June 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

From what I understand, the Plus 1 system is different from a 4 team playoff in that the plus 1 system puts #1 vs. #2, then after the bowls are played out, the polls are re-calculated, and the new #1 and #2 teams play for the championship.

A playoff would have 4 seeded teams. A plus 1 would only involve 3 teams, which would be the end of regular season #1 & #2, then the "plus 1" bowl with the top 2 teams after the reconfigured polls.

Plus 1 is simply allowing the #3 team to play for the National Championship provided they win their bowl game, etc.
When it's 3rd and 10, we shuffle out our secret weapon... he's the only person we ever want calling the next play... some call him the twelfth man.... we call him the whiskey drinker...

BarnBurner

BarnBurner
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I was under the impression was that the BCS bowls would happen as normal, then the two highest rated teams that won their bowl games would play off - so the SEC team would still go to the Sugar Bowl, etc.  The appeal of which would be that you could tell the difference between a 2006 Boise and a 2007 Hawai'i, without going to a full-blown playoff.

And I'm talking about the second best team, not necessarily the number two seed, which are different things.

ALA2262

ALA2262
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBarnBurner, on 26 June 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

I was under the impression was that the BCS bowls would happen as normal, then the two highest rated teams that won their bowl games would play off - so the SEC team would still go to the Sugar Bowl, etc.  The appeal of which would be that you could tell the difference between a 2006 Boise and a 2007 Hawai'i, without going to a full-blown playoff.

And I'm talking about the second best team, not necessarily the number two seed, which are different things.

That is the true Plus One proposal.

How much traction does the plus-one model have?

None. It will be discussed Tuesday because the presidents want to look at multiple models, but everyone is so far down the road toward a four-team playoff that it's highly unlikely anyone heading that way will turn back. Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman, a playoff opponent who prefers the status quo and a plus-one over a four-team playoff -- as do the Big Ten colleagues he represents and some Pac-12 presidents -- will have his say, but he also understands where this is headed. Perlman realizes he can't be Mr. Davis in "12 Angry Men" and sway everyone else in the room.

http://espn.go.com/b...-meeting-primer