Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Mississippi Native and renowned actor Morgan Freeman announces he is a Freethinker

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

ForwardRebels

ForwardRebels

OLE MISS BY DAMN!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorHater24, on 09 June 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

I never have, nor ever will, understand why people are so interested in what celebrities think or believe.  Asking them about politics or anything really makes no sense because they don't have a clue. Just because they are well known and played in many blockbusters does not mean they are intelligent or that their opinion mean any more than anyone else's. In fact it usually means the opposite.
This particular celebrity and his announcement is noteworthy for two reasons:
1. He is from Mississippi. When people ask where he is from, he tells them Charleston, Mississippi.
2. Mississippi is the most religious state in the United States. Morgan Freeman announcing this marks the first time (to my knowledge) that a well-known Mississippian has publicly announced such a thing. As such, it's big news.

(3) Ole Miss Rebels  7-0  (4-0)

- "The worst thing a coach can do is stand pat and think the things that worked yesterday will win tomorrow. Intelligent changes must be made."  - Coach Johnny Vaught

Posted Image

Posted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFCN!dawg, on 09 June 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

This particular celebrity and his announcement is noteworthy for two reasons:
1. He is from Mississippi. When people ask where he is from, he tells them Charleston, Mississippi.
2. Mississippi is the most religious state in the United States. Morgan Freeman announcing this marks the first time (to my knowledge) that a well-known Mississippian has publicly announced such a thing. As such, it's big news.
You forgot #3...because his views are similar to yours. Not saying that's a bad thing, it's just human nature. People tend to view others sharing their ideas as somewhat of a validation.

And everyone does it, though it seems that the conservatives act like they don't do it as much. How many times have we heard someone say" why don't those idiots in Hollywood stick to making movies and shut the hell up about politics? What do those left wingers know anyway"...then a movie star makes a conservative statement and they're like "hell yeah, did you hear 'person A' talking about the economy. That's awesome that he's speaking out about the important stuff".

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostStallingsBaldSpot, on 09 June 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

So you think there is an infinite amount of time between the events of God creating te earth ad the first sign of Adam in genesis?

Infinite? No, only God is infinite. I'm sure you're familiar with Einstein's theory of relativity, right? If time is relative, then what is time to a being that is infinite? Do you think our creator who also created the universe, which is so expansive that we humans can literally not comprehend the magnitude of it, keeps time by the same calendar that we do, based on the time it takes our little planet to orbit the sun.... you know, OUR sun?

What do you think a "day" is to the creator of the entire universe?

Look, I'm not going to get into a theological discussion with a bunch of people whose fallback to everything is "you can't prove God exists." You can't prove he doesn't exist. If you want to believe that the beauty of life and the universe is a byproduct of a random explosion caused by gases, then that's your prerogative. But don't mock me for believing that a universe so magnificent and life so perfect could only be the result of intelligent design.

GatorHater24

GatorHater24
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 09 June 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

I'm sure he could explain the different thoughts and beliefs he's held on the subject. And if you don't think he could explain the different scientific evidence on the various subjects then you've obviously never seen the show.

brb- GUARANTEEING someone can't explain the different scientific evidence behind their beliefs

brb- they explain tons of scientific evidence about cutting edge scientific breakthroughs on every show

And I could flip that logic back around and use it against religious people. They can't explain to you how a man put 2 of every animal on a boat, but they just believe it because someone told them it happened. At the same time they dismiss any contradictory scientific evidence because it must be flawed.

I'm sure he knows what he's talking about and does not just read what he's told

Maybe SOME people are simple enough to have come from an inferior species..... not this guy <<<<

Edited by GatorHater24, 09 June 2012 - 12:47 PM.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 09 June 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

Infinite? No, only God is infinite. I'm sure you're familiar with Einstein's theory of relativity, right? If time is relative, then what is time to a being that is infinite? Do you think our creator who also created the universe, which is so expansive that we humans can literally not comprehend the magnitude of it, keeps time by the same calendar that we do, based on the time it takes our little planet to orbit the sun.... you know, OUR sun?

Gonna get a little deep with this post, but I'll try to keep it short and easily digested(and in doing so probably won't do the idea justice).

Say, as atheists point out...that somehow everything came from nothing. Then different lifeforms randomly evolved in places all over this universe(and possibly other universes where natural laws allow lifeforms). It seems that all it would really take for a God to exist, is to have one of those countless lifeforms evolve to the point where they were technologically advanced enough to either travel at the speed of light themselves, or get some type of Consciousness to travel at the speed of light. If you travel that fast then time stops. And if time stops then you are everywhere at once. In that case there would be a Consciousness that is both at all times and places. If that happened it seems that basically anything would be possible, because there would be a timeless intelligence that is everywhere. Think about how much we've evolved in the last 300 years. Now think about what we could do with infinity.

StallingsBaldSpot

StallingsBaldSpot

conquer and prevail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

What do you think a "day" is to the creator of the entire universe?

Look, I'm not going to get into a theological discussion with a bunch of people whose fallback to everything is "you can't prove God exists." You can't prove he doesn't exist. If you want to believe that the beauty of life and the universe is a byproduct of a random explosion caused by gases, then that's your prerogative. But don't mock me for believing that a universe so magnificent and life so perfect could only be the result of intelligent design.

I wasnt trying to bait you into a discussion on theology.

Honestly, I don't know what to believe. So I'll quote a movie on this...

"there are two things that I believe. 1) there is a God and 2) I'm not Him"

These discussions can be very tricky in my opinion. Ill stick to bashing Tennessee and politics
Twitter: @country_cookin

Posted Image

ForwardRebels

ForwardRebels

OLE MISS BY DAMN!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

But don't mock me for believing that a universe so magnificent and life so perfect could only be the result of intelligent design.
No one on this board has mocked anyone for their religious beliefs, let's make that clear from the get-go. On the origin of the universe,  I have long disagreed with a number of people on this board about the plausibility of them, but there sure as hell isn't any mocking going down. That's just what most Christians automatically go to; if Christian beliefs are discussed and subsequently challenged for their plausibility, they play the victim card to avoid further discussion. (When they have never been the victim, especially not in this country. )

As for ID being the only result for our universe, that's hardly the most plausible position to arrive at, but as you've made clear, you don't want to debate it, and I'll respect that.

ETA: Btw, we've arrived at a topic that I actually back Willard Romney on. http://thecaucus.blo...s-on-evolution/
“In my opinion, the science class is where to teach evolution, or if there are other scientific thoughts that need to be discussed,” he said. “If we’re going to talk about more philosophical matters, like why it was created, and was there an intelligent designer behind it, that’s for the religion class or philosophy class or social studies
class.”

Edited by FCN!dawg, 09 June 2012 - 01:36 PM.

- "The worst thing a coach can do is stand pat and think the things that worked yesterday will win tomorrow. Intelligent changes must be made."  - Coach Johnny Vaught

Posted Image

Posted Image

MCD

MCD

His initials are Boyd Crowder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I shook Morgan Freeman's hand.  He's nice.

Posted Image
Posted Image

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMCD, on 09 June 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

Posted Image

My daughter and future son in law were eating at Doe's in Greenville when freeman came in.They asked one of his group if it would be ok if my little girl(25) could get her picture taken with him.freeman waved her off.I realize these folks can want their privacy,but she is my daughter and as far as I'm concerned he can go :lanekiffin:  his self important,hand waving off,piece of crap self.He lost a group of fans that night.

Edited by L.A.Hog, 09 June 2012 - 08:47 PM.

GatorHater24

GatorHater24
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFCN!dawg, on 09 June 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

This particular celebrity and his announcement is noteworthy for two reasons: 1. He is from Mississippi. When people ask where he is from, he tells them Charleston, Mississippi. 2. Mississippi is the most religious state in the United States. Morgan Freeman announcing this marks the first time (to my knowledge) that a well-known Mississippian has publicly announced such a thing. As such, it's big news.

Lest we forget, its Mississippi we're talking about.

All kidding aside WHO CARES IF ITS A FREAKING CELEBRITY!!!! IMAGINE a CELEBRITY who is not a CHRISTIAN..... wow that is a HUGE surprise right there. Again, his opinion matters about as much to me as any of you on this board.... that fact that he is morgan freakin' freeman matters jack

This seems to parallel people getting so torn up about celebrities they never even met or knew. Be sad that someone died, sure..... but some people seem to think celebs are a realm above the rest of us and they aren't.

Edited by GatorHater24, 09 June 2012 - 08:32 PM.

MCD

MCD

His initials are Boyd Crowder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
No, I'm cool because I shook his hand.
Posted Image

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 09 June 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Gonna get a little deep with this post, but I'll try to keep it short and easily digested(and in doing so probably won't do the idea justice).

Say, as atheists point out...that somehow everything came from nothing. Then different lifeforms randomly evolved in places all over this universe(and possibly other universes where natural laws allow lifeforms). It seems that all it would really take for a God to exist, is to have one of those countless lifeforms evolve to the point where they were technologically advanced enough to either travel at the speed of light themselves, or get some type of Consciousness to travel at the speed of light. If you travel that fast then time stops. And if time stops then you are everywhere at once. In that case there would be a Consciousness that is both at all times and places. If that happened it seems that basically anything would be possible, because there would be a timeless intelligence that is everywhere. Think about how much we've evolved in the last 300 years. Now think about what we could do with infinity.

I'm not sure what your point is here.

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMCD, on 09 June 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

Posted Image

By the way MCD,was this a PeeWee Herman look alike contest?

;) :D

ForwardRebels

ForwardRebels

OLE MISS BY DAMN!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorHater24, on 09 June 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

Lest we forget, its Mississippi we're talking about.

All kidding aside WHO CARES IF ITS A FREAKING CELEBRITY!!!! IMAGINE a CELEBRITY who is not a CHRISTIAN..... wow that is a HUGE surprise right there. Again, his opinion matters about as much to me as any of you on this board.... that fact that he is morgan freakin' freeman matters jack

This seems to parallel people getting so torn up about celebrities they never even met or knew. Be sad that someone died, sure..... but some people seem to think celebs are a realm above the rest of us and they aren't.
Yes, it is Mississippi. The state that is by far the most religious state in the nation. A well-known individual, be he or she an actor, writer, singer, etc announcing this is big news.

In no way am I inferring that Freeman nor any other celebrity is better than anyone else.

I never have understood why Christians get so much sand in their crotch when people with other viewpoints make/post an announcement that is newsworthy. If Richt announced he was leaving Christianity for Islam, you'd be cottoning on about how that is major news and how he's going to hell and all that. But no, I make a post about Freeman, a representative of Mississippi, announcing that he is a Freethinker and you get all irritable about it and try to downplay it. Too typical....

Edited by FCN!dawg, 10 June 2012 - 03:22 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

StaringContestYouAndMe

StaringContestYouAndMe
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 09 June 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

[media=''][/media]

That was really intriguing. I need to check this show out for sure.