Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Mississippi Native and renowned actor Morgan Freeman announces he is a Freethinker

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

NextYearIsHere

NextYearIsHere
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTheRealBrave, on 09 June 2012 - 01:10 AM, said:

Well based on the dates, timing of events and span of characters lives in the bible one comes to the logical conclusion after tallying the years up. Unless the bible is wrong about the age of it's characters and the dates of it's events.

Just throwing this out there but not all of us are Fundamentalists at believe the world is 6,000 years old. Literal interpretation of the stories of the bible is a slippery slope. We know Jesus used metaphors and hypotheticals to explain things, so to many people like myself, I don't really worry about whether or not Jonah was eaten by an actual whale or if the "whale" is a symbol for something else like lust or drunkenness than can "consume" a person.
Posted Image

You have received an infraction at SECTalk Forums.
Reason: Inappropriate Language and Going Off The Deep End ~ GAMECOCK_FAN

Just another ho hum racial and political day on SECTalk, nothing to see here. ~ Tider27

Best Rivalry on SECTalk? "NYIH vs everybody else in the Political Forum..." ~ DELTOR

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostNextYearIsHere, on 09 June 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

Just throwing this out there but not all of us are Fundamentalists at believe the world is 6,000 years old. Literal interpretation of the stories of the bible is a slippery slope. We know Jesus used metaphors and hypotheticals to explain things, so to many people like myself, I don't really worry about whether or not Jonah was eaten by an actual whale or if the "whale" is a symbol for something else like lust or drunkenness than can "consume" a person.

Exactly. Additionally the Bible has been translated so many different times before we got the King James version that there are bound to be numerous minor and probably major errors; many of the languages have words with no English translation, so it was up to the scholar to interpret what was likely meant in many cases.

Then there's also the little problem of which gospels were chosen to be included in the Bible... if it's incomplete (and it is), it's incomplete.

So, I try to do the same thing; worry less about the literal interpretation, and try to follow and apply the overall lessons it teaches to my life... I fail sometimes, but since perfection will never be obtained by any of us, the persistent pursuit of that ideal is the important thing, imho.
Posted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorHater24, on 09 June 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

I can almost GUARANTEE you he couldn't explain it to you (like most)..... he just knows someone told him there's factual evidence behind it where there's not in religion (like most).

I at least respect those who can explain to me the detailed science of their beliefs  which they should be able to do since it is after all factual scientific evidence. For those who don't......well, some people are just not too bright

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how stupid it may be. Example: millions voted in our current president, millions will again.
I'm sure he could explain the different thoughts and beliefs he's held on the subject. And if you don't think he could explain the different scientific evidence on the various subjects then you've obviously never seen the show.

brb- GUARANTEEING someone can't explain the different scientific evidence behind their beliefs

brb- they explain tons of scientific evidence about cutting edge scientific breakthroughs on every show

And I could flip that logic back around and use it against religious people. They can't explain to you how a man put 2 of every animal on a boat, but they just believe it because someone told them it happened. At the same time they dismiss any contradictory scientific evidence because it must be flawed.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
now I'll just be tossing out some of my favorite clips from the show(also, this weeks premier of Season 3 was awesome, and next weeks show looks like it has the potential to be my favorite).

[media=''][/media]

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
[media=''][/media]

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
[media=''][/media]

[media=''][/media]

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
"A: It's a hard question because as I said at the start, I think we invented God. So if I believe in God, and I do, it's because I think I'm God."

Da Posted Image? He can quit playing his role in Evan Almighty and Bruce Almighty.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

Herschel Talker

Herschel Talker

Disney Dawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Who gave science permission to be the judge of whether God exists?  What if science is not comprehensive enough to be the deciding filter for the evidence?
Posted Image

Bigdaddydog1

Bigdaddydog1
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I Never heard of the "Worm hole"-But I watched a couple of the clips.  I guess I can see the attraction that may catch the interest of people. The deep subjects that make people think out of the box.& expand their thought patten.  And that alone creates a fascination. it gives them the idea that there may be some deeper things out there that we currently can not explain & have not thourouly explored. But we accept the possiblity that it could be true.  But heres what I find interesting. We can watch shows like the "Worm hole " and entertain the thoughts above, but when it comes to religion--some must have absolute proven fact" or it simply is fiction.,

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostBigdaddydog1, on 09 June 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

I Never heard of the "Worm hole"-But I watched a couple of the clips.  I guess I can see the attraction that may catch the interest of people. The deep subjects that make people think out of the box.& expand their thought patten.  And that alone creates a fascination. it gives them the idea that there may be some deeper things out there that we currently can not explain & have not thourouly explored. But we accept the possiblity that it could be true.  But heres what I find interesting. We can watch shows like the "Worm hole " and entertain the thoughts above, but when it comes to religion--some must have absolute proven fact" or it simply is fiction.,
I can entertain the thought that a Universal Consciousness could exist. I can entertain the idea that there may be more dimensions that we can not currently detect. I can entertain lots of ideas, and appreciate the attempts of science to delve further into those subjects.

But I can't entertain the idea that a man built a boat and put two of every animal on it, or that God created this entire universe(and probably others) so that he could put life on one small planet. Then put countless life forms on that planet. Then use that setting as a place to put us on it so that he could judge how we live and convince some of us that He became a human. Then if we don't manage to meet his criteria in the 70 or so years we're given out of the countless billions and billions of years of the universe then he'll punish us for infinity. Nope, can't even entertain that idea. Guess that's just me though.

StallingsBaldSpot

StallingsBaldSpot

conquer and prevail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorHater24, on 09 June 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

I never have, nor ever will, understand why people are so interested in what celebrities think or believe.  Asking them about politics or anything really makes no sense because they don't have a clue. Just because they are well known and played in many blockbusters does not mean they are intelligent or that their opinion mean any more than anyone else's. In fact it usually means the opposite.

Most celebrities you couldn't pay me to listen to talk religion or politics.

Morgan Freeman is one I could listen to him talk for hours.
Twitter: @country_cookin

Posted Image

StallingsBaldSpot

StallingsBaldSpot

conquer and prevail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 09 June 2012 - 12:18 AM, said:

Again, the Bible never says the Earth is 6,000 years old.

So you think there is an infinite amount of time between the events of God creating te earth ad the first sign of Adam in genesis?

Posted Image

StallingsBaldSpot

StallingsBaldSpot

conquer and prevail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 09 June 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

now I'll just be tossing out some of my favorite clips from the show(also, this weeks premier of Season 3 was awesome, and next weeks show looks like it has the potential to be my favorite).

[media=''][/media]

I'm pretty sure "Cuando" is spelled with a "C" and not a Q.

That's the first thing that stood out to me in that video

Posted Image

Bigdaddydog1

Bigdaddydog1
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 09 June 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

I can entertain the thought that a Universal Consciousness could exist. I can entertain the idea that there may be more dimensions that we can not currently detect. I can entertain lots of ideas, and appreciate the attempts of science to delve further into those subjects.

But I can't entertain the idea that a man built a boat and put two of every animal on it, or that God created this entire universe(and probably others) so that he could put life on one small planet. Then put countless life forms on that planet. Then use that setting as a place to put us on it so that he could judge how we live and convince some of us that He became a human. Then if we don't manage to meet his criteria in the 70 or so years we're given out of the countless billions and billions of years of the universe then he'll punish us for infinity. Nope, can't even entertain that idea. Guess that's just me though.

okay, fair enough. But just for the record. My comment was made in general, It was not directed at you..

Show Stopper

Show Stopper

I run this show...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I still picture God as Morgan Freeman after seeing Bruce Almighty.
Posted Image