Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Mississippi Native and renowned actor Morgan Freeman announces he is a Freethinker

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

ForwardRebels

ForwardRebels

I AM AN OLE MISS REBEL!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
from a recent interview: http://news.yahoo.co...-182110723.html

"We asked the Oscar winner, 75, his thoughts on that and other questions upcoming shows will address, including, "Did We Invent God?" and "Can We Eliminate Evil?" We also asked about a certain evil eliminator for whom he plays inventor-in-chief in "The Dark Knight Rises." He surprised us by answering very directly when asked if his character survives the upcoming film.

Q: You're asked to do projects like "Through the Wormhole" because have such an authoritative presence. Is that something you aspired to as a young actor?

A: Oh heavens no. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. When I was a young actor I just set out to get work. Like the rest of us.

Q: What drew you to answering life's big questions?

A: I think I just fall into a huge pot of people who are fascinated with what's out there. I used to read a lot of science fiction... particularly that of Isaac Asimov and Robert A. Heinlein and some other very interesting people, and they came up with thoughts about what's possible on Earth.

Q: I was hoping to ask for your personal answers to some of the questions raised in upcoming episodes. The season premiere asks, "Is there a superior race?" I'm not sure if that refers to an alien race or races on Earth.

A: We discuss the idea of a superior race coming here. Professor Michio Kaku has an interesting discussion on it. Intelligence apparently requires an enormous amount of protein, which is why we eat meat instead of being vegetarians. We have this enormous brain capacity.

Suppose a superior race did come from outer space and land here. It would need a food supply because if they were superior, they would have an even larger brain than we do. So we might - might - qualify as sustenance.

Q: Do you think that meat-eating humans are smarter than vegetarian humans?

A: Ehhh. You don't want to get me in trouble here. ... I don't know. The question is evolutionary. Whoever is a vegetarian today, they didn't evolve as vegetarians. They became vegetarians.

Q: Another question from the show: Can we eliminate evil?

A: No. You cannot. Because if you eliminate evil you'll also eliminate good.

Q: What is evil?

A: Evil is the opposite of good. Like up is the opposite of down, left is the opposite of right. You only have one because you have the other.

Q: You don't play a lot of villains, but do you think there are villains? Because we always hear that villains don't think that they're villains?

A: I think that there is balance in the universe. And these questions are the questions of balance.

Q: This next question may be the hardest, and I'm especially curious about your answer because you've played God, and had to guess how God would act...

A: Well, I need to play the devil now, to balance it out.

Q: Did we invent God?

A: Yes.

Q: So there isn't a God up in the sky somewhere. We came up with God ourselves?

A: Well, here's a scientific question: Has anybody ever seen hard evidence? What we get is theories from our earlier prophets. Now, people who think that God invented us think that the Earth can't be more than 6,000 years old. So I guess it's a question of belief. My belief system doesn't support a creator as such, as we can call God, who created us in His/Her/Its image.

Q: Would you consider yourself an atheist, or agnostic?

A: It's a hard question because as I said at the start, I think we invented God. So if I believe in God, and I do, it's because I think I'm God.

Q: Of the questions you ask on the show, which one was the closest to you? What did you think about the most?

A: Travel. The idea of travel. That incorporates two or three different questions. One is how long can we live? Is it possible for us to extend our lifespan into, I don't know, not infinity, but let's say a thousand years? If we could, the idea of space travel would become much more plausible.

Q: Would you like to live a thousand years?

A: Absolutely. ... You're just satisfying your curiosity. Imagine if you could live for a thousand years. Considering that - when did the Wright Brothers fly? In the next 200 years, what will we be doing?

Q: Do you think we'll still be going to movie theaters and watching TV?

A: I could foresee holograms in your living room.

Q: One of the big questions in my little universe: Will your character, Lucius Fox, make it out of the "Dark Knight Rises" alive?

A: Yeah.

Q: How does it feel to be done with the Batman series?

A: I don't see it so much as being done with it. It's the end of a chapter, that's all."

Thoughts?

(10) Ole Miss Rebels  3-0  (1-0)

Posted Image

View Postmsubulldogfan1, on 30 August 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

bear$ are legit.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
My thoughts?? I think Through the Wormhole has been my favorite show since it started. I think I could listen to Morgan Freeman narrate just about anything and I'd enjoy it.

As far as the highlighted parts I would love to sit down and talk to him about it. Because during his 75 years on this Earth he's obviously had much more deep thoughts about the matter than he could explain in a brief interview. Here he seems to take the route most atheists take and act like disproving religion is on the same level of disproving God. I'd like to know his thoughts on Conciousness, and how he views himself as God. And what that means for both God and him. He said we invented God(or how we view God), then said he believes in God. And if he can be God then anything could be God, so he may be a borderline(or not so borderline) Pantheist.

I guess my thoughts are just that I would love to sit down and talk with him about such matters.

ElephanTideis

ElephanTideis
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
If he doesn't believe in a God, I'd like to know what he thinks we originated from.

ElephanTideis

ElephanTideis
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFCN!dawg, on 08 June 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

Now, people who think that God invented us think that the Earth can't be more than 6,000 years old.
And that's not true in every case.

NextYearIsHere

NextYearIsHere
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Morgan Freeman doesn't believe in God... Yeah okay whatever, back to questions about Dark Knight Rises.
Posted Image

You have received an infraction at SECTalk Forums.
Reason: Inappropriate Language and Going Off The Deep End ~ GAMECOCK_FAN

Just another ho hum racial and political day on SECTalk, nothing to see here. ~ Tider27

Best Rivalry on SECTalk? "NYIH vs everybody else in the Political Forum..." ~ DELTOR

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

Take the highway to the end of the night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think this is supposed to be a free country and he is free to think whatever he chooses. It doesn't matter if you or anyone else agrees or disagrees. Freedom of religion and freedom of speech. That is the most important thing. NOT what he thinks or doesn't think; only that he is free to think it. (or SAY it as the case may be)
Posted Image

TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostElephanTideis, on 08 June 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

And that's not true in every case.

I believe it's true in the case of Christianity and Islam, the two largest religions on this planet. To say otherwise is to disagree with the infallible holy word of God himself.
Posted Image
MARK RICHT MAKES GOOD HIRE, HELL HAS FROZEN OVER

ElephanTideis

ElephanTideis
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTheRealBrave, on 08 June 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

I believe it's true in the case of Christianity and Islam, the two largest religions on this planet. To say otherwise is to disagree with the infallible holy word of God himself.
I haven't seen where the Bible says the Earth is 6,000 years old.

TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostElephanTideis, on 08 June 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

I haven't seen where the Bible says the Earth is 6,000 years old.

http://bridavis.chic...et/timeline.htm
Posted Image

TigerWalk

TigerWalk
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think he's got an opinion just like every other person does.

I like him as an actor, but I don't place any special importance upon his personal religious or philosophical beliefs.

Edited by Miden, 09 June 2012 - 12:06 AM.

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostTheRealBrave, on 08 June 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

Again, the Bible never says the Earth is 6,000 years old.

GatorHater24

GatorHater24
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I never have, nor ever will, understand why people are so interested in what celebrities think or believe.  Asking them about politics or anything really makes no sense because they don't have a clue. Just because they are well known and played in many blockbusters does not mean they are intelligent or that their opinion mean any more than anyone else's. In fact it usually means the opposite.

GatorHater24

GatorHater24
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostElephanTideis, on 08 June 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

If he doesn't believe in a God, I'd like to know what he thinks we originated from.

I can almost GUARANTEE you he couldn't explain it to you (like most)..... he just knows someone told him there's factual evidence behind it where there's not in religion (like most).

I at least respect those who can explain to me the detailed science of their beliefs  which they should be able to do since it is after all factual scientific evidence. For those who don't......well, some people are just not too bright

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how stupid it may be. Example: millions voted in our current president, millions will again.

Edited by GatorHater24, 09 June 2012 - 12:34 AM.

NextYearIsHere

NextYearIsHere
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Does anyone seriously care?

Seriously, can we get back to the important things, Luscious Fox survives in Dark Knight Rises. I figured he was leaving Wayne Enterprises after his disagreement over the cell phone tapping technology Batman used to locate the Joker... *nerdgasm*
Posted Image

You have received an infraction at SECTalk Forums.
Reason: Inappropriate Language and Going Off The Deep End ~ GAMECOCK_FAN

Just another ho hum racial and political day on SECTalk, nothing to see here. ~ Tider27

Best Rivalry on SECTalk? "NYIH vs everybody else in the Political Forum..." ~ DELTOR

TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 09 June 2012 - 12:18 AM, said:

Again, the Bible never says the Earth is 6,000 years old.

Well based on the dates, timing of events and span of characters lives in the bible one comes to the logical conclusion after tallying the years up. Unless the bible is wrong about the age of it's characters and the dates of it's events.
Posted Image