Great Spurrier Interview With ESPN's Chris Low - South Carolina Sports - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

Great Spurrier Interview With ESPN's Chris Low

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

ConwayGamecock

ConwayGamecock

Your Ad Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Here is a another great interview of Coach Spurrier done by ESPN.com's Chris Low for the SEC Blog:

No turning back for Spurrier, Gamecocks - SEC Blog - ESPN

Among some of the many comments:

His thoughts on the Georgia-South Carolina game moving from the second week of the season to the sixth week in 2012.

“I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”

His thoughts on Nick Saban and what he’s done at Alabama.

“He’s got a nice little gig going, a little bit like (John) Calipari. He tells guys, ‘Hey, three years from now, you’re going to be a first-round pick and go.’ If he wants to be the greatest coach or one of the greatest coaches in college football, to me, he has to go somewhere besides Alabama and win, because they’ve always won there at Alabama.”

His thoughts on who’s the best coach in the SEC.

“I think it’s Saban. He’s considered the best. Les Miles is considered one of the best, when you look at number of wins. I believe you’re as good as your record. You are whatever your record is. Don’t give me any excuses or that you can’t win at this place.”

His thoughts on Lorenzo Ward taking over as the Gamecocks’ defensive coordinator.

“I hope we’ll be a little sounder than we have been. Obviously, Ellis (Johnson) did a heck of a job here. But at times, we’d have some coverage breakdowns. I don’t know if we were doing too much or this guy was making mistakes. We got a lot better during the course of the year after we simplified some things.”

His thoughts on Will Muschamp’s challenge at Florida.

“I told Will that he had one of the hardest jobs in America because of what’s happened down there prior to him coming. I don’t know that they have that much greater a team than most others in the SEC now. They’re pretty good. But it’s a tough job because of what Urban (Meyer) has done and prior history. Those fans are expecting 10 to 12 wins every year. Our fans are going to expect nine to 11, which is fair, and that’s good. I hope our players expect it, too.”

His thoughts on when he might retire.

“I used to think 60. When I was 55, I’d say four or five more years. When I got to 60, I’d say four or five more. And when I got to 65, I started saying three or four more. I’ll tell you what. We had a good-looking quarterback come through on Junior Day, and I wrote him a letter and said, ‘If you come here, you might extend my coaching career two or three years.’ ”

His thoughts on going out on his terms.

“Let me ask you this: How many coaches do you know that have retired in the last 10 or 15 years, and I’m talking honestly retiring, guys who had a good job, were winning and stepped aside on their own ? There aren’t many. They all got fired. Who would have ever thought that Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno would have to get forced out? When I leave, they’re not going to pay me $4 million because I had another five years on the deal and got fired. I ain’t going to be one of those guys. I just have too much pride. That’s not going to happen.”

Edited by ConwayGamecock, 12 April 2012 - 01:58 PM.

HFS

HFS

Everything is so Shakespeare to these Hoes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
1. That's hilarious.

2. He only does this when he knows he's sitting on a badass team.
Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
,,,,here we go...
"At Kentucky, we don't just play college basketball. We ARE college basketball." - Coach John Calipari

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Spurs always makes it interesting.
Posted Image

Gidnik

Gidnik
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The Georgia quote is rofl
Posted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I love that man(no homo)

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Take his challenge Saban...prove you can win at a place like Kentucky (please).
"At Kentucky, we don't just play college basketball. We ARE college basketball." - Coach John Calipari

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

I'm Kind of a Big Deal

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
His thoughts on the Georgia-South Carolina game moving from the second week of the season to the sixth week in 2012.

“I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”

Posted Image

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

uscrules

uscrules
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Posted Image<p id="blogInfo">
Bloggers:
Subscribe: Posted Image<p class="printerShow" id="storyLeft" section="story;body">
Posted: 2:28 pm April 12, 2012
Steve Spurrier unleashes verbal jabs at Bulldogs, Saban

By Jerry Hinnen | College Football Blogger

Posted ImageGood news, everyone: Steve Spurrier still doesn't give even the slightest damn.
Exhibits No. 476A and B arrived from Chris Low Thursday, when in a candid Q&A Spurrier dropped the following bomb on his South Carolina team's rivals to the south:

“I don't know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”

Ka-boom. That Georgia does, in fact, have "two or three key players suspended" for their Week 2 showdown with Missouri takes the juiciness of the quote into 100 percent not-from-concentrate Tropicana Pure Premium levels.
But Spurrier wasn't done:

His thoughts on Nick Saban and what he's done at Alabama.

“He's got a nice little gig going, a little bit like (John) Calipari. He tells guys, ‘Hey, three years from now, you're going to be a first-round pick and go.' If he wants to be the greatest coach or one of the greatest coaches in college football, to me, he has to go somewhere besides Alabama and win, because they've always won there at Alabama.”

If you think that's a not-so-subtle snipe at both Saban's business-first-business-second approach to recruiting and his overall accomplishments at Alabama, you're thinking the same thing we're thinking.
What we're also thinking: that despite some recent comments to the contrary, Spurrier's feeling good about his 2012 Gamecocks. These are the kinds of checks his mouth hasn't written since his Florida salad days, when he knew his Gators could go out and cash them on the football field. Saban's Tide isn't on the schedule this year, but Mark Richt's Bulldogs most certainly are--and we doubt Spurrier would so boldly send a shot across Richt's bow if he didn't feel like his team could back him up in Columbia on October 6.
One thing, though, we more know than think: if this is the Spurrier we get at SEC Media Days, that annual circus is going to be even more fun than usual.

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

I'm Kind of a Big Deal

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I swear UGA fans on this site are like cops. Always around when you dont want them, never there when you do.

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

CockyinCola

CockyinCola

FOURever to Thee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Spurrier's got that swag back.

Georgia quote >>>>
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 12 April 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

I love that man(no homo)

Me too.
Except totally homo.

Dawgfan4life24

Dawgfan4life24
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Screw all you cocks. Lol Thinks to self..why did i post this again? Lol Spur is unique to say the least

Posted Image

ConwayGamecock

ConwayGamecock

Your Ad Here

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostDawgfan4life24, on 12 April 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

Screw all you cocks.

It doesn't work that way.....

Dawgfan4life24