J-Dawg, on 10 April 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:
C'mon, man.... have I ever tried to "impose my beliefs" on you?...As far as I'm concerned, you are always the most outspoken one.
You do realize that its not exactly like Initiative 26, right? Also, thats one of the beauty's of this country... you don't like MS laws, you can move to a state that suites you better. And it's only what you make it.... the job market in MS has improved lately (auto plants etc).... only certain groups make such big deals about abortion laws.
Couldn't let ya slip that one by, brother. Even with all of her flaws and past, I love Mississippi with everything I got.
Sorry if I popped off a little, but I had the same convo recently with a friend. He takes your stance. People make MS out to be so terrible... because of our strong conservative and religious beliefs. Is it wrong to be conservative or religious? MS has as much of a right to be conservative and religious as California has to be hippy and whatever else they are... you get my point. It's OK for folks to harp on how much MS sucks for the reasons you listed, but the same folks that harp on MS get offended if you bash, chastise or criticize a more liberal, less religious place. Just more of this double standard thats been killin' me lately. Folks scream equality, liberty and tolerance yet are intolerant of anything conservative or religious. I'm just tired of the hypocrisy.
And FCN... I'm not aiming that at you, bud, the topic just got me off on a tangent. I've really hit a boiling point lately and have decided to start speaking up on some issues that I'm generally very private about. You could probably attribute it to the fact that I've moved out of Starkville, out of the influences of college kids both liberal and conservative... started the rest of my life and starting fully making my own decisions and caring totally for myself.... things are beginning to become alot clearer to me since I've gotten out of the influence of other people and on my own.
1. No, you have not. However, there are about 2.5 million other ppl in this state.
2. I am outspoken in the issue of religion, no doubt about that bro.
I've lived in another country for a time. I've seen how it is without a single mythology trying to be imposed on everyone and I liked it. I liked the fact that in the UK, when the issue of religion was brought up, I could state that I am an atheist and not have ppl look at me strange or even threaten me. (True story; about a year ago, I was at a party near some apartments close to campus when one of my more douchebag friends had gotten totally plastered and tread upon a party no-no (religion) and mentioned that I was a non-believer. I was threatened by a whole group of ppl simply for not sharing their rubbish belief system. That, my friend, is absolute
ing bullshite. I like the fact, and even find it ironic, that in a country with a state religion, I felt more free on the subject of morality, religion.myhtology, etc than I ever have in the state of Mississippi.
3. Indeed, only certain groups do make an issue of them. The problem is, they do not and cannot accept defeat. As you remember, when we voted on 26, it was defeated by a 58% to 42% margin.
4. I also love Mississippi. It is the most unique state in the US. I just wish people could move forward into the future. I wish that ppl in this state could accept that non everyone shares their beliefs and spare us all the preaching all the time. I do not apologize for being so outspoken on this issue b/c for a long time I was silent on it. No longer though.
5. There is nothing at all wrong with Conservative beliefs and I am not making this state out to be terrible. I am quite Conservative on many issues. What does irk me though, is that we are 50th in nearly everything, save religiousosity in which we are #1, and everyone is happy about it. As I have stated before, I have no problem with moderates of religion. I enjoy talking with them on issue both religious and non-religious. It is the fundamentalists which I have no time for and lose my temper with.
6. I am not being hypocritical. I am a fierce defender of the 1st Amendment. Just like everyone else, I have some pet peeves. Also, when have I gotten offended when you bash a liberal, hippy, blue state? Hell, I bash them with you for having dumbass monetary policies.
7. I'm glad that you have spoken out. Were this real life, I'd buy ya a beer. I am a firm believer of the saying "The squeakiest wheel gets the grease. " Why do you think I speak out on this site and in real life? It's only by dialogue that progress can be made. I applaud your standing up for what you believe in. You stand up for what you believe in and I will continue to do the same.
(Currently I am in contact with the Freedom From Religion Foundation about numerous local violations of the Separation of Church and State in public schools; they include having the 10 Commandments up, school-sanction (teacher)-led prayer, etc. )
1st State Prediction of 2013
bluelightstar, on 26 March 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:
You aren't winning in Starkville, and Hugh Freeze is going to see what he's really started.
Engie's prediction on the M-State and Ole Miss 2013 Signing classes
engie, on 30 April 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:
Yet MSU will have 10 from that in the NFL -- and OM will be lucky to get 2 or 3.
"We didn't play out of hatred for anyone. It was more of playing out of love for one another and this university." - Coach Freeze
University of Mississippi officials have confirmed reports that the school’s reserve of damns has been completely exhausted.
“We are out of damns to give. We do not give one single damn,” Chancellor Dan Jones told reporters