Official MLB Thread - The Pros - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Official MLB Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
542 replies to this topic

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Here's the thread for everyone on the site who's not an Atlanta Braves fan.  Since they outnumber the rest of us like 99,000 to 1, I figure we could have a catch all thread for everyone else (instead of my usual Cincinnati Reds thread that ends up as me posting to myself by season's end.)

Matt Latos is making his debut at GABP for my Redlegs tonight.  It's the bottom of the 1st and of course it's scoreless.  We already took Game 1 from Miami, looking to take the series tonight.

I don't think it's at all unrealistic to expect this Cincinnati squad to win the division and make the playoffs, though Braun not being suspended 50 games in Milwaukee certainly changes that equation.  St. Louis didn't look like they skipped a beat w/out Pujols on opening night.  Chicago and Pittsburgh both look competitive but I wouldn't be surprised by anything those two teams do this year, be it good or bad.  NL Central is definitely going to be an interesting race this year.
Posted Image

chunkybeefstu

chunkybeefstu
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I just hope the Cardinals don't repeat...

I hope that the Royals can finally put the 'best farm system in the majors' to work effectively in the Majors...  They should be competitive.  I just hope we win.  Every game.
GO TIGERS!

Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
What's the Red fan's thoughts on Juan Francisco while I have your attention, Puddin? :trollface:

Posted Image

chunkybeefstu

chunkybeefstu
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The Braves are stupid.
GO TIGERS!

Posted Image

UAdan

UAdan

The Rocketman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Honestly, the NL Central is pretty weak again this year. I think it'll come down to the Cards and Reds. Might depend on how your bullpen holds up. Y'all have the bats in the lineup, for sure.
Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postchunkybeefstu, on 07 April 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

The Braves are stupid.

Not uh Royals fan, don't you dare go there. :trollface:

Posted Image

chunkybeefstu

chunkybeefstu
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Oh I'll go there all day long.  You guys haven't been good since Glavine/Maddox/Smoltz roamed the hill.  Let's not forget about the Rocker fiasco...
GO TIGERS!

Posted Image

GoldenRebel

GoldenRebel

A Proud Swayze Crazy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postchunkybeefstu, on 07 April 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

Oh I'll go there all day long.  You guys haven't been good since Glavine/Maddox/Smoltz roamed the hill.  Let's not forget about the Rocker fiasco...

You haven't been good until Gary Carter was going psycho on folks lol.

But seriously, Rocker is one of my alltime favorites.  Any Braves fan will agree

chunkybeefstu

chunkybeefstu
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGoldenRebel, on 07 April 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

You haven't been good until Gary Carter was going psycho on folks lol.

But seriously, Rocker is one of my alltime favorites.  Any Braves fan will agree

Not getting the Gary Carter reference...

Rocker was pretty awesome...  I just threw that in there because I wanted to talk about him...
GO TIGERS!

Posted Image

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The hitting prospects are ready to produce for the Royals, but I think you have another year or two before the stud pitching prospects are ready.   At this point the fact you, as a Royals fan, have something to legitimately look forward to has to be good enough for now, hah.

I agree the NL Central probably comes down to the Reds and Cardinals, but the Brewers have enough pitching that they could be trouble.   Who wins the Central may come down to who handles the Brewers the best.

I have no idea how my Red Sox are going to do, hah.   Most aren't picking them to make the playoffs but it's obviously a reasonable possibility.   Before the September collapse they had the best record in the AL (and maybe all of MLB) so it's not like talent is an issue.   They have Youkilis and Bucholtz back now, and I have to imagine Carl Crawford is going to be better than last year (he'll never earn 20 mil/yr, but he should be a lot better than he was).   If the Sox don't make the playoffs they'll still likely be a 90+ win team.
Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"

chunkybeefstu

chunkybeefstu
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostOmahaBound, on 07 April 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

The hitting prospects are ready to produce for the Royals, but I think you have another year or two before the stud pitching prospects are ready.   At this point the fact you, as a Royals fan, have something to legitimately look forward to has to be good enough for now, hah.

I agree the NL Central probably comes down to the Reds and Cardinals, but the Brewers have enough pitching that they could be trouble.   Who wins the Central may come down to who handles the Brewers the best.

I have no idea how my Red Sox are going to do, hah.   Most aren't picking them to make the playoffs but it's obviously a reasonable possibility.   Before the September collapse they had the best record in the AL (and maybe all of MLB) so it's not like talent is an issue.   They have Youkilis and Bucholtz back now, and I have to imagine Carl Crawford is going to be better than last year (he'll never earn 20 mil/yr, but he should be a lot better than he was).   If the Sox don't make the playoffs they'll still likely be a 90+ win team.

The AL East is stupid tough...  I wouldn't want to play in it.

Our pitching is going to come around sooner, rather than later, I HOPE!  Both starters have looked good so far this year and I am eternally optimistic.  The bats are there and the bull pen is pretty alright (losing Soria hurt), the defense is actually really good, like I said eternally optimistic...

As far as the NL Central, I give no fu@k as long as the Cardinals don't win...
GO TIGERS!

Posted Image

gatorbait2014

gatorbait2014
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Its a tough existence as a Cubs fan, especially this year. If we had even a semi competitive team we would have a legit shot at winning the division. But hey, theres always next year...
Posted Image

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postchunkybeefstu, on 07 April 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

The AL East is stupid tough...  I wouldn't want to play in it.

Our pitching is going to come around sooner, rather than later, I HOPE!  Both starters have looked good so far this year and I am eternally optimistic.  The bats are there and the bull pen is pretty alright (losing Soria hurt), the defense is actually really good, like I said eternally optimistic...

As far as the NL Central, I give no fu@k as long as the Cardinals don't win...

Yeah Hochever is the real deal (he was a Vol, right?) but I'll never trust Bruce Chen after what he did the first several years of his career.   He reminds me of Esteban Loiza in '04 where all of a sudden he gets good, but it only lasts a couple years.   But hey if you can get another good year or two out of him, ride that wave while you can.

So does your blood pressure skyrocket every time you hear one of the ESPN guys refer to Cardinals fans as the best in the nation? haha
I've only been to Busch Stadium once and if anything they were taunting more than any other fanbase I've been around (well okay, except for Fenway, heh).   To be fair the fact the Giants and Barry Bonds were in town may have had something to do with that.
Posted Image

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postgatorbait2014, on 07 April 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

Its a tough existence as a Cubs fan, especially this year. If we had even a semi competitive team we would have a legit shot at winning the division. But hey, theres always next year...

I grew up watching Cubs games on WGN, so I'll always have some fondness for them.   It's been such an unlikeable group of guys the last 8 years or so that I've mostly stopped paying attention to them though.   Give Theo 3 or 4 years and I'll bet that organization will be in significantly better shape than it is now.
Posted Image

BlackSheep 171

BlackSheep 171

Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I dont look for the Cardinals to repeat, and I dont think they will even win the NLCS, if they even make it there, but I wouldnt be shocked at all if they won the central. I dont think the Reds have what it takes to overcome the Redbirds, and the Brewers IMHO will be hurt more by losing fat Fielder than the Cards will losing maybe the best player in baseball in pujols. I think the Cards are still a more complete team without their 1st baseman than the BrewCrew.
IMG00225-20120417-2122.jpg
#4 Oklahoma Sooners 0-0 (0-0) vs
La Tech 8/30/14

84-17-7 Bedlam Record- Most One Sided In-State Rivalry in College Football
540- weeks ranked in AP top 10- most ever
383 - weeks ranked in AP top 5- most ever
101- weeks ranked #1 in AP poll- most ever
153- 1st Team All Americans
47 game winning streak- longest in FBS history

48 Bowl Games (28-18-1)
44- Conference Titles (8 Big 12)
35- 10 win seasons- Most in FBS history