Kemp, Reynolds achieve home run feat - Vanderbilt News - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

Kemp, Reynolds achieve home run feat

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

SECTalk.com

SECTalk.com
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
April 6, 2012

Posted Image<span class="c5' class='c4' alt='Barca' />by Brandon Barca (Archive)</span><br/><span class="c5">Twitter updates @brandonbarca</span>It took Riley Reynolds 406 at-bats.

Tony Kemp... 365.

The friendly competition between roommates (and lefties) to see who could homer first went longer than expected, but it was finally accomplished within three weeks of each other.

"Unbelievable. Feels great. Words can't describe it," said Kemp, almost speechless.

Reynolds' blast (Posted Imagewatch) came first against Siena on March 14 and Kemp followed suit Tuesday with a three-run shot (Posted Imagewatch) in the Commodores' win over Tennessee-Martin.

The duo tried to keep their composure on the base paths, but stood no chance once they saw the team crowded around home plate.

"I tried to be a tough guy and not really smile," Reynolds said. "Once I rounded third and everyone at home was smiling, it was hard not to."

Kemp, who was grinning from helmet to cleats, said the first thing he heard from teammates was "finally."

Which first career home run were you most impressed with?

Although Reynolds and Kemp aren't considered sluggers, the pair have provided a punch offensively for the Commodores during their careers. Reynolds, a senior second baseman known for his blue-collar demeanor, is a high-contact hitter that can go the other way routinely for singles and doubles. Kemp, a sophomore outfielder with good strength for his 5'6" frame, relies on his blazing speed out of the leadoff spot to wreak havoc on the bases.Reynolds has "muscled up" before, taking a home run cut at the plate, but not without a razzing from the dugout. 

Kemp came close to the feat a couple of times in 2011 but didn't have the distance. Some wondered if his first round-tripper would be over the fence or inside the park.

When word spread on social media of the long balls, former Commodores wanted to know if the knocks were legit. 

Both cleared the wall in right-center just over the 375-foot mark and traveled a few rows into the bleachers. Reynolds and Kemp admitted, though, they were unsure if the hits were going to make it. Both players sprinted out of the box upon contact, not realizing what they had just achieved.

"I think I was more shocked because I looked up and the flag was blowing about 15 miles per hour out of the stadium," noted Kemp. "So there you go. Thank you, wind."

No matter how you look at it, a dinger is a dinger.

With the streak over, they'll have their home run trots perfected in no time.

Posted Image<br/>Posted Image