Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Calipari to the Knicks?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
125 replies to this topic

Show Stopper

Show Stopper

I run this show...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFCN!dawg, on 04 April 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

Yep. He's proven he can be top-notch at the collegiate level time and time again.
Why not try to prove that he can be top-notch at the NBA level too? He's still fairly young. If he fails in the NBA (again), I can assure you, any team in the NCAA, except the Ivy League schools and Vandy, will take him.

I can see that to a degree but still have a hard time seeing him leave from where he is at right now.  If Calipari heads to the NBA again it should be anyone BUT the Knicks.  The entire Knicks organization is a mess from top to bottom from the administration to the players.  Could Calipari handle it?  Most likely.  But it would be a couple years before they could ever have some success.  The contracts with Carmelo and Amare really leave them in a bind with signing other players so I just have a hard time seeing him being successful there.
Posted Image

ForwardRebels

ForwardRebels

OLE MISS BY DAMN!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECats, on 04 April 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

He's not leaving for the Knicks (or any other team).
Yes, and Tubberville was leaving Oxford in a pine box and numerous other coaches of other sports have said the same.
I never believe them. (Except for Lord Merlin. :trollface: )

(3) Ole Miss Rebels  7-0  (4-0)

- "The worst thing a coach can do is stand pat and think the things that worked yesterday will win tomorrow. Intelligent changes must be made."  - Coach Johnny Vaught

Posted Image

GAMECOCK_FAN

GAMECOCK_FAN
  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHFS, on 04 April 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

He has.
Well it would surprise me if he went back to the NBA then.
2014 Football (4-3, 2-3)
10/25/14 at Auburn; 11/1/14 Tennessee; 11/15/14 at Florida; 11/22/14 South Alabama; 11/29/14 at Clemson

2014-15 Basketball (0-0, 0-0)
11/14/14 North Florida; 11/18/14 Baylor; 11/20/14 vs. Cornell (in Charleston, SC); 11/21/14 vs. Penn State/Charlotte (in Charleston, SC); 11/23/14 vs. TBD ( in Charleston, SC); 11/26/14 UNC Asheville; 12/1/14 at Marshall; 12/6/14 Oklahoma State; 12/19/14 Clemson; 12/21/14 Coker; 12/30/14 North Carolina A&T; 1/3/15 vs. Iowa State (in Brooklyn, NY); 1/7/15 Florida; 1/10/15 at Ole Miss; 1/13/15 Alabama; 1/17/15 at Auburn; 1/20/15 Tennessee; 1/24/15 Kentucky; 1/28/15 at LSU; 1/31/15 Georgia; 2/3/15 at Arkansas; 2/7/15 at Vanderbilt; 2/10/15 Missouri; 2/14/15 at Kentucky; 2/17/15 at Georgia; 2/21/15 Texas A&M; 2/24/15 at Alabama; 2/28/15 Mississippi State; 3/5/15 Arkansas; 3/7/15 at Tennessee

2014 Baseball (44-18, 18-12)

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
he wont leave this year.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFCN!dawg, on 04 April 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

Yes, and Tubberville was leaving Oxford in a pine box and numerous other coaches of other sports have said the same.

Listen to me....he's not leaving.  No reason to go, he's in basketball heaven and getting any recruit he wants.  He'll win 4-5 more titles if he stays 10-12 years.
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

SECats

SECats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFCN!dawg, on 04 April 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

Are you comparing Ole Miss Football to Kentucky Basektball?!?!  Please tell me you're not.

He makes over $4M a year and could be Governor of the damn state.  LOL

SECats

SECats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Cal tweet...like I said:

John Calipari ‏ @UKCoachCalipari

#BBN, breathe. Relax. Enjoy the championship. I'm not going anywhere: http://www.coachcal....-steal-our-joy/ (link to article addressing rumors from CoachCal.com) Big Blue Nation, breathe. Relax. Calm down. Enjoy the championship. I just talked to Mike DeCourcy and Andy Katz and they asked me if I was going to jump to the NBA. What?! I We just won the championship a day and a half ago. The only three things I’m trying to decide on is when I’m going to go see a few recruits, how I’m going to get through all these voicemails and when do I get a chance to get some sleep. But for those of you that need to hear it again, let me repeat what I told Andy and Mike: I’m not going anywhere. I have the best job in the country. Why would I leave after we’ve just won a national title? We’re trying to catch UCLA, folks. I’ve got more money than I’m ever going to need or my family can spend, so I don’t have to make a decision based on finances. Let me assure you that you will see me at NBA games this summer … to watch our former players. I’m not going to give up my lifestyle based on a few rumors, and I will continue to go to NBA games to see my family, friends and former players. I’m even going to a game tonight. But relax, Big Blue Nation. Sit back and enjoy this special time. We’ve waited 14 years for this, so let’s not let anyone ruin this for us. No one’s stealing my joy or my players’ joy. Don’t let them steal yours.

Article too....

Show Stopper

Show Stopper

I run this show...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
^Damn you literally JUST beat me to it in post this.  Nice job!
Posted Image

Penguin

Penguin
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
UK fans, you guys are LITERALLY insane if you think that NYC doesnt have more to offer than Posted Imageing lexington kentucky....seriously, get a grip. I've lived in both places and NYC, especially NYC with money, is 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than lexington. Maybe he's not leaving but I see no reason why he wouldnt jump at the chance to coach a good team for twice the money and all the perks of living in new york. haha you guys way over estimate your whole state sometimes, kentucky, as a state, is the worst place ive ever lived. Tiny roads with bad drivers and a hole cops, the worst weather/mold problems anyone could imagine short of siberia, and no attractions. No water, no theme parks, no reason to visit kentucky unless you like horses, and if you like horses you better have a shit ton of money. Sorry, I know this will offend some people but I really needed to vent about my time there because the state blows hard....not a knock on the people I met all kinds of nice people there.
Posted Image   

Seriously. A season I will never forget.

Posted Image

nooneLT

nooneLT

Mello Yello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Kentucky fans, get used to it. That's what happens when you're on top. How many times has Saban been mentioned for another NFL job?

Some people are meant to coach college, Calipari and Saban are great examples.

Show Stopper

Show Stopper

I run this show...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPenguin, on 04 April 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

UK fans, you guys are LITERALLY insane if you think that NYC doesnt have more to offer than :lanekiffin:ing lexington kentucky....seriously, get a grip. I've lived in both places and NYC, especially NYC with money, is 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than lexington. Maybe he's not leaving but I see no reason why he wouldnt jump at the chance to coach a good team for twice the money and all the perks of living in new york. haha you guys way over estimate your whole state sometimes, kentucky, as a state, is the worst place ive ever lived. Tiny roads with bad drivers and a hole cops, the worst weather/mold problems anyone could imagine short of siberia, and no attractions. No water, no theme parks, no reason to visit kentucky unless you like horses, and if you like horses you better have a shit ton of money. Sorry, I know this will offend some people but I really needed to vent about my time there because the state blows hard....not a knock on the people I met all kinds of nice people there.

Money isn't an issue as he already has plenty of that and Cal has said himself that he has more money now than he knows what to do with so it won't be a money issue if he ever chooses to leave for another place.  He has often given advice to his own assistants when they are considering to leave for a head coaching job of their own.  He says unless its a good situation at small school where they can win right away or one of the schools in the major confernces then they shouldn't go.  The Knicks are a MESS right now from the administration down to the players.  They are locked up in big contracts with Amare and Carmelo to where they don't have as many options in terms of getting other good players.  They don't play defense.  They don't listen to their head coach.  And the list keeps going.

I wouldn't mind if Calipari left but for the Knicks?  He would be signing his own death certificate and he would be out of a job in a couple of years even though it wouldn't be his fault.

NYC is nicer but it won't matter if he will be out of a job not long after being there because he walked into a poor situation.
Posted Image

Show Stopper

Show Stopper

I run this show...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostnooneLT, on 04 April 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

Kentucky fans, get used to it. That's what happens when you're on top. How many times has Saban been mentioned for another NFL job?

Some people are meant to coach college, Calipari and Saban are great examples.

Yeah we've been hearing about it for ages now since Calipari first got here but sometimes that rationalizations that people make without considering some key factors sometimes leaves man y of us scratching our heads a bit.
Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
He'll stay in Kentucky, he's got it made right now.

This is so much like Saban/Bama it's kind of eerie.

Posted Image

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSECats, on 04 April 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

Are you comparing Ole Miss Football to Kentucky Basektball?!?!  Please tell me you're not.

He makes over $4M a year and could be Governor of the damn state.  LOL

just because you said that ive changed my mind. he will be at the knicks before july.
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

SECats

SECats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPenguin, on 04 April 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

UK fans, you guys are LITERALLY insane if you think that NYC doesnt have more to offer than :lanekiffin:ing lexington kentucky....seriously, get a grip. I've lived in both places and NYC, especially NYC with money, is 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than lexington. Maybe he's not leaving but I see no reason why he wouldnt jump at the chance to coach a good team for twice the money and all the perks of living in new york. haha you guys way over estimate your whole state sometimes, kentucky, as a state, is the worst place ive ever lived. Tiny roads with bad drivers and a hole cops, the worst weather/mold problems anyone could imagine short of siberia, and no attractions. No water, no theme parks, no reason to visit kentucky unless you like horses, and if you like horses you better have a shit ton of money. Sorry, I know this will offend some people but I really needed to vent about my time there because the state blows hard....not a knock on the people I met all kinds of nice people there.

We have more running water than any state outside of Alaska.  If you think we don't have any great spots with water you obviously never went to Lake Cumberland and Land Between the Lakes.  It might not be for you and that's fine but to slam a state because you didn't like it is about as pathetic as it gets.  I lived in FL for 5 years and was not a fan....I can strip naked in KY and roll around in my front yard and not have to worry about getting eaten alive by snakes, fire ants, scorpions, alligators....the grass and landscape where I live is beautiful and so is the weather.

I'm thankful you don't like KY.  It means one less j-a$$ to deal with.  ;)