Next Gen. Consoles Might Render Used Games Useless - Water Fountain - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

Next Gen. Consoles Might Render Used Games Useless

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

TigerWalk

TigerWalk
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Over the last few months unconfirmed insider rumors have suggested that both the next gen Xbox and Playstation may lock out used games from being played.

http://ps3.ign.com/a.../1221819p1.html

This rumor suggests that the new Playstation will lock all purchased games to one PS account where it can only be played through that one account, and would be able to be downloaded from that individual's PS store account if a new copy was needed at a later date. It's rumored that used, second hand games would allow new owners to play a "trial" version of the game, but would require extra payment to unlock the full game.

http://www.gamespot....-report-6349165

This rumor simply suggests that Microsoft may be implementing a system to block used games from being played on the next Xbox, but no further details on it are offered.

http://xbox360.ign.c.../1220412p1.html

This source claims that the next xbox may not even contain a disk drive at all, and would instead rely on downloadable games and possibly use some sort of interchangeable, solid-state storage device.

These are ALL unconfirmed rumors, but its still interesting to think about the implications of systems that might try to kill off used game markets. Might spark a new revival in PC gaming if any of this turns out to be true.

StallingsBaldSpot

StallingsBaldSpot

conquer and prevail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I hope not. A lot of people sell old games to buy new games lol.
Twitter: @country_cookin

Posted Image

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It's a horrible idea, but whatev.  I won't be upgrading from my ps3 anytime soon
Posted Image

FlyingEagle

FlyingEagle

HornyEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Will never happen.

Do you know the percentage of console owners worldwide that do not have their console connected to the internet?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

StallingsBaldSpot

StallingsBaldSpot

conquer and prevail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFlyingEagle, on 28 March 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Will never happen.

Do you know the percentage of console owners worldwide that do not have their console connected to the internet?

I figure it's pretty low

Posted Image

FlyingEagle

FlyingEagle

HornyEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postvandyfan84, on 28 March 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

I figure it's pretty low

The ps3 has the highest percentage of connected users, at 78%.

If you take JUST sony into account, do you think sony would want to lose 22% market share (they would ALL buy the competitor console that did not force online) and 22% of their current software sales?

The used game market, although a plague in the eyes of developers, is not worth 22% marketshare.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Part of the reason you charge $60 for a new game is that most people will sell it after they play it for $15-$20.  If you take away the salvage value the price will have to come down or they'll see a drop off in sales.

StallingsBaldSpot

StallingsBaldSpot

conquer and prevail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFlyingEagle, on 28 March 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

The ps3 has the highest percentage of connected users, at 78%.

If you take JUST sony into account, do you think sony would want to lose 22% market share (they would ALL buy the competitor console that did not force online) and 22% of their current software sales?

The used game market, although a plague in the eyes of developers, is not worth 22% marketshare.

They have the highest bc they are a free service. But how many times have they been hacked now?

I honestly thought that number would be higher given the day in age were at

Posted Image

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The only good thing is that those Posted Imageing swindlers at GameStop will go outta business
Posted Image

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I doubt it will happen. Gamers are a pretty strong-willed community. The protest would be enormous, and I think there'd be a boycott of any new system that had such a lock implemented.

Not like gamers don't have an alternative. They can just go the PC-route, and would if some BS were pushed on them like this.

Edited by HobnailedBoots, 28 March 2012 - 06:15 PM.

TigerWalk

TigerWalk
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 28 March 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

I doubt it will happen. Gamers are a pretty strong-willed community. The protest would be enormous, and I think there'd be a boycott of any new system that had such a lock implemented.

Not like gamers don't have an alternative. They can just go the PC-route, and would if some BS were pushed on them like this.

I agree that I don't think this will occur to such an extreme, but I would question how powerful the gaming community would really be in stopping such a thing from eventually occurring.

-There are already PC games on the market that require an internet conntection in order for the company to make sure you have a legit copy before allowing you to play it.. No internet = no playing the game you bought.  This is something a lot of major developers are beginning to put into practice.

-Games already come with certain features locked behind a passcode that only comes with new copies of the game. Buy it used? Might not get multiplayer or all the content unless you want to shell out an additional 10 or so dollars.

- Games are already shipping with release day paid DLC already on the disc. By this I mean the game ships with locked content that you have to pay extra to access.

10+ years ago who thought gamers would allow any of this type of stuff to be implemented?

TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 28 March 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

PC > Consoles anyways
Posted Image
MARK RICHT MAKES GOOD HIRE, HELL HAS FROZEN OVER

bijoukaiba

bijoukaiba

... or Eimii, that works too.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I was always more of a Nintendo gal myself...

Posted Image

ElephanTideis

ElephanTideis
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postbijoukaiba, on 28 March 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

I was always more of a Nintendo gal myself...
Me too. Err...guy.