Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Introducing the new SC Head Coach

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

KyClay

KyClay
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
great, great hire for South Carolina AND the SEC !!!!   Congrats...

CockyinCola

CockyinCola

FOURever to Thee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Some quotes from his presser going on right now. I'm buying in.

John Whittle @johnmwhittle
Frank Martin: We’re going to make this the hardest arena in the country for anybody to play. #Gamecocks

Heath Cline @heathradio
Martin: "Some people run away from challenges. I run to challenges."

Spurs Up Blog @SpursUpBlog
#FrankMartinSC: "I have tremendous respect for the guys who were here before me and respect for the situation they're in." #Gamecocks

Heath Cline @heathradio
Martin: "We will put 18 thousand people in this arena every game." Mentions SC win over UK w/ Devan Downey as making big impression on him.

Posted Image

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
My favorite quote was "When these men graduate they will be employees, fathers, and husbands for the rest of their lives.   Those are 365 days a year jobs.   It will be unacceptable to not give every ounce of themselves for just 35 days or so during our games."
Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

United We Stand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I may actually become a Jim Rome fan now:

‎"I don't have favorites. But if South Carolina now has Frank Martin and the Ol' Ball Coach Spurrier sharing the same facilities, I am now a USC fan. And yes I said USC, because South Carolina is now the real USC. Southern Cal is now SCU."

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hope this works out for Carolina.
I find him annoying, but so was Bruce Peal and he still beat our asses all the time.

GamecockDieHard

GamecockDieHard
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostOmahaBound, on 27 March 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

My favorite quote was "When these men graduate they will be employees, fathers, and husbands for the rest of their lives.   Those are 365 days a year jobs.   It will be unacceptable to not give every ounce of themselves for just 35 days or so during our games."

That quote right there is why I think Bruce Ellington has a big decision to make.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Atmosphere at Colonial Life made a big impact on his decision....

that's odd, because I heard people say coaches weren't winning here because of the fans.

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
My take on it is, Carolina's always had the fans there for basketball, they're just waiting in the wings for something to support.  Other programs will obviously show up and support their team, but I think if given a consistently competitive product, Colonial Center will be filled most nights.  At places like Ole Miss, Auburn, and Georgia, I think fans will respond but they're not going to get overly passi'onate about it. I see a great many SC fans interested in talking basketball, I think ya'll have the support there but just haven't had anything worth getting excited about.
Posted Image

chunkybeefstu

chunkybeefstu
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It is a great hire.  I'm just upset that we have to play that fool's team again next year...
GO TIGERS!

Posted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 27 March 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

My take on it is, Carolina's always had the fans there for basketball, they're just waiting in the wings for something to support.  Other programs will obviously show up and support their team, but I think if given a consistently competitive product, Colonial Center will be filled most nights.  At places like Ole Miss, Auburn, and Georgia, I think fans will respond but they're not going to get overly passi'onate about it. I see a great many SC fans interested in talking basketball, I think ya'll have the support there but just haven't had anything worth getting excited about.
true story

Cockfan720

Cockfan720
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 27 March 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

This is very true. Before leaving the ACC, South Carolina had actually become a basketball school. Frank McGuire had South Carolina contending for ACC Titles and gracing the cover of Sports Illustrated. Getting out of the ACC just crippled the basketball program. The state of South Carolina just doesn't produce enough top basketball talent. To be successful, one must recruit well nationally (as McGuire did in NY). The hope is that Martin can do just that (he has great connections in the Miami area). By the time we got into the SEC in 1992, the damage was done. It really hasn't recovered since. But yes, the fans are there to support the team. In Horn's first year, we sold out Colonial LIfe Arena the last 6 or 7 home games of the season.

I think this hire is a great thing for the SEC as a whole. Mizzou will obviously bring in a good basketball program. Florida and Vanderbilt are always solid. Tennessee and Arkansas have solid programs that will soon be back competing at a high level before long. If Martin can get things rolling in the other Columbia and at least produce a team that challenges for an NCAA berth year in and year out, the SEC's basketball image will take a real boost.

2010 NCAA Baseball Champions
2011 NCAA Baseball Champions
2010 SEC East Football Champions

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostCockfan720, on 27 March 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

This is very true. Before leaving the ACC, South Carolina had actually become a basketball school. Frank McGuire had South Carolina contending for ACC Titles and gracing the cover of Sports Illustrated. Getting out of the ACC just crippled the basketball program. The state of South Carolina just doesn't produce enough top basketball talent. To be successful, one must recruit well nationally (as McGuire did in NY). The hope is that Martin can do just that (he has great connections in the Miami area). By the time we got into the SEC in 1992, the damage was done. It really hasn't recovered since. But yes, the fans are there to support the team. In Horn's first year, we sold out Colonial LIfe Arena the last 6 or 7 home games of the season.

I think this hire is a great thing for the SEC as a whole. Mizzou will obviously bring in a good basketball program. Florida and Vanderbilt are always solid. Tennessee and Arkansas have solid programs that will soon be back competing at a high level before long. If Martin can get things rolling in the other Columbia and at least produce a team that challenges for an NCAA berth year in and year out, the SEC's basketball image will take a real boost.
Couldn't agree more.  aTm is up and down in basketball, but they're not going to be cellar dwellers.  They should bring the possibility of a bid every couple of years.  Alabama's right there on the bubble. Mississippi State hopefully will not screw up their hire and get someone competitive in Starkville.  SEC basketball is really starting to look on the up and up.

lol....now we have two Columbia's and two Coach Martin's in the SEC.
Posted Image

rwspear

rwspear

game recognize game and you lookin kinda unfamiliar right now

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
shit.

grats sc!

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Great hire gamecocks! Starting to get some seriously good coaching in the SEC.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostCockfan720, on 27 March 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

This is very true. Before leaving the ACC, South Carolina had actually become a basketball school. Frank McGuire had South Carolina contending for ACC Titles and gracing the cover of Sports Illustrated. Getting out of the ACC just crippled the basketball program.

Definitely true, but did anyone catch PTI yesterday?   They had no clue why Martin would come here, but more to the point one of them said leaving the ACC was one of the most boneheaded moves ever.   Sure there was a hint of luck we got that SEC invite 20+ years ago, but I'd say things have worked out a little better (how's that for understatement of the year?) for our overall athletic dept. and school than if we were stuck in the ACC.

Edited by OmahaBound, 28 March 2012 - 04:01 PM.

Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"