Introducing the new SC Head Coach - SEC Basketball Talk - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

Introducing the new SC Head Coach

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

CockyinCola

CockyinCola

FOURever to Thee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Frank Martin.

Kansas City Star @KCStar

BREAKING - Report: South Carolina to hire K-State's Frank Martin as basketball coach.

So excited about this. One of the best stable of coaches at any program in the country with Spurrier, Tanner, Dawn Staley, and now Frank Martin.

Frank Martin - All His Greatest Hits   - YouTube

Edited by CockyinCola, 26 March 2012 - 11:28 AM.

Posted Image

Yellow

Yellow

Dood

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This is a home-run hire.

Posted Image

Edited by cocky87, 26 March 2012 - 11:31 AM.

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
LOVE this hire for USC!  He is a great coach IMO.  Great attitude.  Great leader.  Great motivator.  He is EXACTLY what USC needs!

Congrats on vying for second place in the SEC on a regular basis.  ;)
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I honestly didn't think there was any chance our hire would excite me about Gamecock basketball.   I'm very happy I was wrong.  

Love Justin King's initial contribution to the story....

Posted Image

Edited by OmahaBound, 26 March 2012 - 11:44 AM.

Posted Image

"I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.....Learn to swim"

aTm 82

aTm 82
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Excellent Choice, he has been very competitive in the Big12 and alot of schools are excited he has moved on to the SEC so they don't have to face him.

eastcoastrazorback

eastcoastrazorback

Gagging Order

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Great hire!

May the bridges I burn light the way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Honestly don't know a lot about him. More informed minds keep saying it's a great hire so I'm pretty excited about this....and the video makes me even more so.
all your bases are belong to us

SBV1971

SBV1971

M-I-Z-S-E-C. Forever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Definitely look forward to watching Mizzou play against two familiar faces next season - Mike Anderson in Arkansas and now Frank Martin in South Carolina. Gonna be fun. Can't wait! :thumbu:
Original Image: http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m555/SBV2011/sec_network_bannersecdignetwork_zps89d5cc51.jpg

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Haha, just watched the video.  "SO MUCH FOR MY HALFTIME SPEECH!  Give their best player three straight open 3's...NO...FOUR! because one of them was in and the good Lord kicked it out!!!!"
Posted Image

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

I'm Kind of a Big Deal

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Kansas State coach Frank Martin was meeting with South Carolina officials Monday and would then decide whether to accept an offer or stay with the Wildcats, Martin told ESPN.com.

Martin said in a text message that the deal is not done as has been reported.

Martin said conversations first started between his party and South Carolina on Saturday. Martin had texted Friday night that he had not spoken to South Carolina officials.

He was in New York to work for CBS' studio show. Martin was asked on air if he had spoken to South Carolina but at that point he personally had not yet.

If Martin were to accept an offer to coach at South Carolina he would be closer to his native South Florida and recruiting ties. But he would be trading a newly established basketball school for one that has struggled to find its place in the SEC. A number of sources said Martin and the Kansas State administration have been at odds recently and that might lead him to leave.

Martin was open about his interest in the Miami opening last year but was never interviewed. He stayed and took the Wildcats to the NCAA tournament yet again while Miami was in the NIT. South Carolina finished last in the SEC under former coach Darrin Horn.

Multiple media outlets reported Monday that South Carolina and Martin had agreed to a contract less than two weeks after the Gamecocks fired Horn.

Martin, 45, is under contract with Kansas State through 2015 after signing an extension two years ago.

Martin is a native of Miami and coached high school basketball there for 15 years. He joined Northeastern University as an assistant coach in 2000 before working in the same capacity for Cincinnati and Kansas State. He was named coach of the Wildcats in 2007 and has led Kansas State to three straight NCAA tournament appearances.

Martin earned his bachelor's degree in physical education from Florida International in 1993.

Martin had made headlines Monday for another reason. Speaking during Sunday's broadcast of the NCAA tournament on CBS, he said that he regularly paid collegiate players who had played for him in high school when they had nowhere else to turn.

Working as an analyst on the telecast Sunday, Martin seemed to be making a case for better compensating collegiate players in need as he defended Kansas State senior Jamar Samuels, who was held out of the Wildcats' final game because of an eligibility concern.

"I coached 16 years in the same inner city in Miami that I grew up in. Do you know how much money I sent to kids that played for me in high school when they were in college because I knew where they came from?" Martin said, according to a transcript of the broadcast published by the Kansas City Star. "I knew they didn't have a father figure."

http://espn.go.com/m...gamecocks-offer

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

OmahaBound

OmahaBound

Boston Strong

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
USC has officially announced an 11am news conference tomorrow to name the new men's basketball coach.   Unless he has a last minute change of heart,  Frank Martin is going to be our coach.

Edited by OmahaBound, 26 March 2012 - 05:38 PM.

Posted Image

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

I'm Kind of a Big Deal

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Slam dunk, pun intended, hire.

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

Benny

Benny

Mike Slive, Jr.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Congrats Cocks. Nice hire for sure. We are upgrading the shit out of coaching talent in the SEC. Hope my Bulldogs can match this hire.

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Damn, now that's a pretty impressive hire.

Congrats fellas.

Posted Image

IANSANANIMAL

IANSANANIMAL

#GoLo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
awesome hire!! Can't wait to see what happens with the team
Posted Image
Twitter @ IanWenzel