Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

No. 1 Softball Sweeps Mississippi with 12-1 Win Kayla Braud leads off the game with a homer and drives in two

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

CrimsoNation713

CrimsoNation713

I'm an angel in an earth suit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
from rolltide.com Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Kayla Braud hit her first home run of the season on Sunday.
Posted Image
March 18, 2012
Box Score |  Photo Gallery Posted Image
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The top-ranked Alabama softball team used a leadoff home run from junior Kayla Braud to spark its offense early and cruise to a 12-1 victory in five innings over Mississippi at Rhoads Stadium Sunday afternoon. With the victory, the Crimson Tide improves to a perfect 25-0 overall and 6-0 in Southeastern Conference play.
The 25-0 start equals the second best start in school history as the Crimson Tide rattled off 25 wins to start the season in 2007.
Alabama has now scored eight or more runs 16 times this season and plated 10 or more eight times. UA earned its 23rd straight win over Mississippi and has put double-digits on the board five straight times against the division foe.
Sophomore Jackie Traina moved her unblemished record to 15-0 on the season. The right-hander allowed one run on two hits and struck out six without issuing a walk. Traina retired the last 13 batters of the contest, not allowing a hit after the first inning.
Braud paced the Tide at the plate with two hits and two RBI. Traina helped her own cause by driving in two runs and scoring once. Jennifer Fenton reached base twice and stole two bases to move her thefts to a perfect 16-for-16 this season.
After giving up a run in the first the Tide instantly powered its way to a 3-1 lead. Braud hit the first home run for Alabama to start a game since Kelley Montalvo went deep against Louisiana Tech on March 27, 2007. The home run was her first of the season.
Fenton then increased the lead after drawing a walk, stealing a base and scoring on a passed ball. Locke then blasted a solo shot over the wall in right-center, moving her season total to seven home runs.
UA added to its lead with two more runs in the second inning. After Conley reached on a single to left-center, she came all the way around to score on a failed pickoff play at first. Fenton then scored again, stealing her second base of the game and moving to third on an error before senior Cassie Reilly-Boccia knocked her home.
Alabama put the game away with two runs in the third and five more in the fourth. Freshman Danae Hays had a RBI single up the middle in the third and Braud singled off the pitcher for another run in the frame.
Traina drove in two in the fourth and was followed by an RBI single by freshman Jadyn Spencer and a groundout RBI by junior Lauren Sewell. Junior Keima Davis then scorched a double into the wall in right to plate sophomore Jordan Patterson.
Alabama will remain at Rhoads Stadium to continue SEC play as it will host rival Tennessee on Wednesday, March 21. Both games will air on CSS with first pitch of game one slated for 4 p.m.
"Whenever I see those crimson jerseys and crimson helmets, I feel humbled to have played football for Alabama. Other players in the NFL talk to me about their schools and their traditions. I just smile knowing the immense love Alabama fans have for our school and its football program. I'm proud to be a part of that Crimson Tide heritage."

-- Derrick Thomas