Study: Atheists are as trustworthy as rapists - Think Tank - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Study: Atheists are as trustworthy as rapists

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
241 replies to this topic

ElephanTideis

ElephanTideis
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
http://www.usatoday....eism/51777612/1

The study, conducted among 350 Americans adults and 420 Canadian college students, asked participants to decide if a fictional driver damaged a parked car and left the scene, then found a wallet and took the money, was the driver more likely to be a teacher, an atheist teacher, or a rapist teacher?
The participants, who were from religious and nonreligious backgrounds, most often chose the atheist teacher.
The study is part of an attempt to understand what needs religion fulfills in people. Among the conclusions is a sense of trust in others.
"People find atheists very suspect," Shariff said. "They don't fear God so we should distrust them; they do not have the same moral obligations of others. This is a common refrain against atheists. People fear them as a group."

Kinda interesting. I can see where religous people would have questions about atheists because of a lack of religous convictions (meaning they do not fear the eternal consequences of their actions), but I am not sure atheists are more prone to do the things listed above than anyone else. I am aware we have athiests on this board and I'd be interested to hear what y'all have to say about this.

Edited by ElephanTideis, 21 February 2012 - 02:05 AM.

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The survey seems to be set up in order to make atheism equal or worse than rape. That's totally fair
Posted Image

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Because someone who fear eternal damnation but still rapes someone certainly wouldn't take the opportunity to grab a few extra bucks.

This sucks, because now militant atheists are gonna bring this up as an example of how unfair religion is.

FlyingEagle

FlyingEagle

HornyEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm an atheist. Apparently I am more prone to steal a wallet than a religious rapist... I'd rather somebody steal my wallet than rape me ;)

I'm also less likely to kill you in the name of my god...or start a fight with you by telling you how to live your life. But your wallet...yea, watch out for that around me...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FlyingEagle

FlyingEagle

HornyEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postcocky4ever, on 21 February 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

Because someone who fear eternal damnation but still rapes someone certainly wouldn't take the opportunity to grab a few extra bucks.

This sucks, because now militant atheists are gonna bring this up as an example of how unfair religion is.

That's the money shot right there lol Atheists are less trustworthy with wallets than somebody who RAPED. BWAHAHAHAHA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

StallingsBaldSpot

StallingsBaldSpot

conquer and prevail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Just because you don't believe in a God doesn't mean you're amoral. There are plent of religious people who have their morals out of whack bit think its ok because they repent on Sundays.
Twitter: @country_cookin

Posted Image

StaringContestYouAndMe

StaringContestYouAndMe
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The survey is stupid. I don't advocate Atheism but this survey is not fair to anyone who claims to be an Atheist.

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This has nothing to do with whether or not an atheist is more likely to do these things. It's all based on people's perception of whether or not atheists are more likely to do these things. Basically, they're guilty without even having a trial in most people's mind. This is NOT me advocating atheism, by the way.
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postvandyfan84, on 21 February 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

Just because you don't believe in a God doesn't mean you're amoral. There are plent of religious people who have their morals out of whack bit think its ok because they repent on Sundays.

Maybe if you're talking about the Kardashians, but I don't think there are "plenty" of religious people who have their morals out of whack and are OK with it.

StallingsBaldSpot

StallingsBaldSpot

conquer and prevail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 21 February 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

Maybe if you're talking about the Kardashians, but I don't think there are "plenty" of religious people who have their morals out of whack and are OK with it.

Go to church based colleges and you'll see otherwise
Twitter: @country_cookin

Posted Image

StaringContestYouAndMe

StaringContestYouAndMe
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postvandyfan84, on 21 February 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

Posted Image

*sinister laugh*

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postvandyfan84, on 21 February 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

Seems like you are a little jaded.
I know what you're trying to say, but I have to disagree.

When I hear a Christian say it's wrong to drink until you are drunk, and then see them drunk a week later, I view it as them admitting a weakness. They know it's wrong, everyone knows they know it's wrong, yet they are doing it anyway.
I used to call them hypocrites, but it's not like I haven't said one thing, done another, and regretted both before.

Bigdaddydog1

Bigdaddydog1
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It seems that the survey is not set up to point in one direction.

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Christians of all people should know to not pass judgement on anyone.  None of us are sinless, no one is perfect and all of us backslide.  Any christian that says otherwise is misinformed to say the least...

Bigdaddydog1

Bigdaddydog1
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postvandyfan84, on 21 February 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

View PostJoeGator, on 21 February 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

View PostJoeGator, on 21 February 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

Seems like you are a little jaded.
I know what you're trying to say, but I have to disagree.

When I hear a Christian say it's wrong to drink until you are drunk, and then see them drunk a week later, I view it as them admitting a weakness. They know it's wrong, everyone knows they know it's wrong, yet they are doing it anyway.
I used to call them hypocrites, but it's not like I haven't said one thing, done another, and regretted both before.

There are different levels of being a Christian. You have the Christian who knows what they believe but are following a different path & then there are Christians who eat, live & are totally dedicated to God. It is defined as what relationship does a person have with God. An Interlectual or Intimate.  Interlectual is that you know the Bible & God & have knowledge of him. Intimate relationship is that you are totally dedicated in your religion & have that close relationship with God & the way you live shows it.So if you belive, but your everyday actions do not indicate it, Then you have a Interlectual relationship & your conscience will keep directing you back towards your belief. And this is not to indicate that a Athiest does not have a conscience. EVERYONE has a conscience. But not always does being a christian mean you do everything right. I usually do not reply to these type of post. But I felt compelled to share my point of veiw.