The Alabama Recruiting Thread - Page 3 - Alabama Sports - SECTalk.com - Page 3

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

The Alabama Recruiting Thread

- - - - -

2620 replies to this topic

UA1221

UA1221

Roll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Three days after finalizing its 2010 recruiting class, Alabama had all but added a third commitment to its 2011 haul.
But instead, Cullman offensive lineman Spencer Region made a shock switch today, announcing a commitment to Auburn.
At a reported 6-foot-6, 330 pounds, Region sets up to be one of the state's higher-rated prospects in the coming year. This decision is surprising because Region had made it clear all along that an offer from Alabama would carry the most weight for him, and recruiting analysts and other reporters had been told to prepare for Region to commit today to Alabama.
He and his family celebrated at Dreamland after receiving an offer during a recent Junior Day on UA's campus, saying "This is the offer I have wanted," per this Scout.com story from little more than a week ago.
"I grew up an Alabama fan. I love Alabama," Region told Scout.com in October. "I have always hoped one day I will get to wear the crimson and white. It will hurt if I don't get to do that. Alabama is my overall favorite. I feel at home there. I love it down there. I have been going down there for so many years that I just feel comfortable."
Region told reporters at the scene that he initially committed to Alabama and chose to switch this morning, roughly 90 minutes before a noon announcement.
Both of UA's two 2011 committments are thus far from in-state: Vigor wide receiver Marvin Shinn, who committed during a visit to last year's A-Day Game, and Russellville wide receiver/linebacker Brent Calloway.
Both Calloway and Shinn are four-star prospects on Scout's five-star scale. I don't think we jumped the gun on this kid..I don't think he could have had any better indication lol...Who says that then changes at the last minute....I smell something fishy.....
Alabama misses out on Cullman OL Spencer Region, who commits to Auburn | The Bama Beat - al.com
Show class, have pride and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Lost a lot of progress in here, M2J get back up in here.

Posted Image

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Crimson Tide looks to add a second Kouandjio in 2011 signing class | The Bama Beat - al.com

Crimson Tide looks to add a second Kouandjio in 2011 signing class
By Gentry Estes, Mobile Press-Register
February 11, 2010, 9:01AM

Arie Kouandjio.jpgOffensive tackle Arie Kouandjio signed with Alabama last week.Recent Alabama offensive line signee Arie Kouandjio has an interesting background on his own.

Originally born in Cameroon, Kouandjio now hails from the Washington, D.C., area. He was interested in judo and wrestling growing up, and really thought until about age 12 or 13 that soccer could be his ticket.

"Then I just started outgrowing it," Kouandjio said. "... When I was young, (my father) told me that he didn't want to put me in (sports) for a hobby. He told me to find a sport I think I could pursue and be serious with, and I picked football."

Good call.

Now standing 6-foot-5, 335-pounds, Kouandjio is an offensive tackle with the kind of footwork that reflects a background in a sport like soccer. Nick Saban called him "a real tackle type and a real good player. (He) was probably a real key to making us feel like we satisfied our need," on the offensive line.

But there another aspect to adding Arie.

Could it be that the final verbal commitment to Alabama's 2010 class helped add perhaps the biggest addition in 2011?

Cyrus Kouandjio Rivals.jpgArie's brother Cyrus Kouandjio could be one of the nation's top prospects for 2011 (Photo courtesy of Rivals.com).Arie's brother is Cyrus Kouandjio, who is already projected to be one of the nation's top offensive line (and perhaps overall) recruits for next year's class. The younger Kouandjio already has a scholarship offer from Alabama, along with at least a dozen other programs from the ACC, SEC and elsewhere.

Scout.com already has Cyrus as the country's top offensive tackle for 2011.

Alabama has a history with this. The 2010 class included two signees -- Wilson Love (Tyler) and Harrison Jones (Barrett) -- whose older brothers were already on the Crimson Tide's roster.

"I think it's always a good situation to at least make the offer to -- or opportunity for -- the family to decide whether he wants to go to school at the same place or not, if that's the best place for their opportunity," Saban said when asked about the Love brothers and the practice of adding family onto one team. "I think that's the number one thing. In this case these guys don't play the same position, they won't be competing against each other, not that that matters because more than one can play the same position as long as you're a lineman and you're not a quarterback."

For what it's worth, Arie likes Saban's approach, citing that as one of the reasons he chose the Crimson Tide: "Coach Saban kind of reminds me of my dad. My dad is pretty straight-forward in his philosophy of life. I was raised that way."

But Arie took his time with the recruiting process, not informing Saban of his commitment until two days before National Signing Day. Cyrus likely will do the same and is insisting that Arie's decision does not mean he's automatically headed to Tuscaloosa.

"I am not going to base my decison on what he did," Cyrus told Scout in this story. "Of course it's a good thing he is there, but it's not going to influence my decision. If I find another school that fits me like a glove, like Alabama did with Arie, then I will go there. With my brother going there they are going to have something no other school has--family. That being said, I love Alabama. I like Alabama a lot."

Posted ImagePosted ImagePVG FTMFW still  ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Cyrus "The Virus" Kouandjio or Cyrus "The Prototype" Kouandjio? I like both honestly. :D

Javorius Allen, a RB out of Lincoln in Tallahassee has Bama as his leader. He broke his femur in the first game of his Jr season, before that he was touted as one of the top RB's in the nation. If he has a successful senior season he's almost a guaranteed 5 star recruit for most recruiting services. I'll post up his video when I can find some on youtube, reminds me of Adrian Peterson...seriously that big, explosive, and fast.

Posted Image

Brah

Brah
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Doesn't reese announce today?
Formerly known as T-Bone

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I believe he's delayed his decision.

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
And I remember hearing a lot about that guy last year Tider, they call him "Buck".  

Didn't know he was so high on us though. Great to hear.

And Alabama has recently offered Terrance Smith according to Andrew Bone and he likes us a lot too (has named no favorites, but still we're in it with him)
Terrance Smith - Yahoo! Sports

BamaFan425

BamaFan425

Recruiting Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Buck Allen has us as a "distant" leader. If we stay on him, he's ours IMO.
Posted Image

BamaFan425

BamaFan425

Recruiting Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Welcome back to the Tide Mr. Quinton Dial! Dial has confirmed his commitment to BAMA after his two year stint at Junior College in Mississippi. BIG (re)-pickup!
Posted Image

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Quinton Dial - Yahoo! Sports

Cool.    He's expected to graduate early, and enroll for Spring.   Hopefully he does, or he may end up out.  He's also expected to take off from football next year so he'l have 3 years of eligibility at the Capstone.

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Tide courting Quan Bray - Insider - ESPN

There's a reason both Nick Saban and Kirby Smart -- Smart more than once -- have made an appearance at Callaway High School in Hogansville, Ga., in recent weeks.

Two words: Quan Bray.

Bray's high school coach, Pete Wiggins, compares the Under Armour All-America prospect -- listed simply under the category of 'athlete' by ESPN -- to former star Florida Gator and the NFL's reigning Rookie of the Year Percy Harvin.

"He can do it all," Wiggins told CrimsonConfidential.com Wednesday afternoon.

As a freshman running back in '07, Bray ran for more than 1,000 yards. He ran for more than 1,100 as a sophomore. Wiggins moved him to quarterback for his junior season last fall and Bray responded with more than 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 yards passing.

"We don't play him on defense, but he could be a great corner, a great kick returner and a great punt returner," Wiggins said.

The coach said the 5-foot-11, 180-pound Bray is a three-sport athlete -- he also plays basketball and runs track -- who power cleans close to 300 pounds. He doesn't know what Bray's 40 time is, but no stopwatch is needed to figure out that this kid has some wheels.

"He's one of the fastest kids I've seen on the field," Wiggins said. "The bottom line is he can run."

A lot of big-time colleges evidently think so, too. Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee, Michigan, South Carolina, Duke, Stanford, Texas Tech, Southern Miss and Kentucky are just some of the schools that have offered Bray.

Wiggins doesn't want to speculate on which school might be Bray's favorite at this point in the recruiting process. It is, as he hinted at, still early. Bray, he said, will take some visits and attend some camps, but it won't be anytime soon. Basketball and track are occupying much of his free time now.

In the meantime, Alabama is continuing to push hard to gain favor with the ESPNU 150 Watch List prospect. Saban's visit was an especially big deal for everyone involved.

"He's a great figure in college football," Wiggins said of the Tide head coach. "He brought a lot of excitement to our school, to the kids and to the community when he came -- just the fact of knowing that Nick Saban was at Callaway High School."

Smart is the assistant coach recruiting Bray for Bama and has made multiple trips to Callaway High School.

"He's intense," Wiggins said of Smart, winner of this year's Broyles Award as the top assistant coach in the nation. "I think a whole lot of him. We talk about Callaway football and Alabama football. I enjoy my conversations with him."

BamaFan425

BamaFan425

Recruiting Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
We just offered in-state LB Chris Landrum.
Posted Image

Tider27

Tider27

Bammer Moderator

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

BamaFan425 said:

We just offered in-state LB Chris Landrum.

Yeah and he's from my neck of the woods in Sweet Water. My hometown is about 25 minutes away and I've seen many Sweet Water/Thomasville/Demopolis games. He's got some impressive measurable at 6'2" 204 4.6 40. He's grown up a Alabama fan and he'll be ours to lose if we want him from what I can tell. I'll be asking some friends about him when I have the opportunity.

Posted Image

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
DeAnthony Arnett was recently offered and he immediately placed us amongst his favorites (ND, USCw, Mich St). He has the same HS coach as Mark Ingram and plans to come down and visit during spring practices with his coach.

This guy has an amazing offer list and hopefully we can sway him on his visit

DeAnthony Arnett - Yahoo! Sports

We also offered DT Derrick Mitchell

Derrick Mitchell - Yahoo! Sports

Edited by M2J, 15 February 2010 - 08:57 PM.

M2J

M2J
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
CrimsonConfidential.com - Tide leads for confident, Watch List LB Brown

Two things are obvious about Shannon Brown.

He likes Alabama. And he doesn't lack for confidence.

Brown (Adel, Ga./Cook) is an ESPNU 150 Watch List linebacker who holds offers from Alabama, Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, East Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida.

While many heavily recruited juniors aren't ready to name a favorite this early in the recruiting process, Brown isn't afraid to go public with his feelings.

"My favorites are Alabama, Georgia and North Carolina, and in that order," he told CrimsonConfidential.com Friday afternoon.
So what puts the Tide in front?

"Tuscaloosa is a great town, and I can see myself staying there for four years," he said. "Alabama also has a great tradition, and they have Nick Saban, and I want to play for one of the best. Another thing is that Alabama has tons of talent, and that's going to force me to bust my butt to get on the field. Good competition brings out my best."

Say what? In a day and age where most high school stars are looking for depleted rosters and guaranteed playing time, is this kid actually seeking out just the opposite?
Yep.

"I want to earn my spot on the field," Brown said. "I ain't listening to schools like Tennessee when they're talking about roster spots because I think I can start anywhere in the nation. It doesn't matter who's in front of me -- even a senior."

Brown doesn't just think he can be one of the best linebackers during his freshman year in college. He thinks he can be one of college football's all-time great linebackers.

"I want to go where the best linebackers have played, and I want to be compared with the greats," he said.

And the fact that so many of the game's great linebackers played at Alabama is just added incentive for Brown to wear crimson.

"I've been thinking about committing," he said. "In fact, I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I just haven't done it yet."
So what's the hold up?

"I like Alabama, but I just want to see what's out there for me," he said. "There's no timetable (on a commitment). I'll just do it when I feel it's the right time."

Kirby Smart is the assistant coach recruiting Brown for Alabama.

"He's an honest, straightforward guy," Brown said of Smart.

The Georgia prep star also thinks highly of Saban, whom he's talked with both by phone and in person.

"I like him," Brown said. "He's all about business."

Scout.com: Shannon Brown Profile

Edited by M2J, 16 February 2010 - 01:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users