Ronnie Wingo - SEC Football Talk - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Ronnie Wingo

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

MIZ-SEC_jd9224

MIZ-SEC_jd9224
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Arky fans, or anybody really, what's your opinion of Wingo as a RB?  I remember his recruitment well and I really wanted him at Mizzou and was one of the craziest recruiting sagas I followed.  The guy is a fantastic athlete with great speed.  But to me he seems to play soft and doesn't break tackles.  Goes down on initial contact a lot.

Probably sounds like sour grapes, but I promise its not. I'd take him today if I could just for his athletic ability.  I was one of few that tried to defend him when most said he'd be better suited for defense.  I'm thinking I was wrong.  I admit I haven't seen a lot of his games, but the 2 or 3 I have, that was my impression.  What's seems to be the opinion within the fanbase?

snoblind

snoblind
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMIZ-SEC_jd9224, on 07 January 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Arky fans, or anybody really, what's your opinion of Wingo as a RB?  I remember his recruitment well and I really wanted him at Mizzou and was one of the craziest recruiting sagas I followed.  The guy is a fantastic athlete with great speed.  But to me he seems to play soft and doesn't break tackles.  Goes down on initial contact a lot.

Probably sounds like sour grapes, but I promise its not. I'd take him today if I could just for his athletic ability.  I was one of few that tried to defend him when most said he'd be better suited for defense.  I'm thinking I was wrong.  I admit I haven't seen a lot of his games, but the 2 or 3 I have, that was my impression.  What's seems to be the opinion within the fanbase?

This.

cocky4ever

cocky4ever
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Won't matter if Knile Davis can get back to 2010 form next year.

ARfanNmem

ARfanNmem
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Miz, your assessment is accurate. I would only add that wingo is a pretty reliable receiver. Every down back he is not.
In addition to davis,  I'm also excited about seeing kody walker come back from injury.

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMIZ-SEC_jd9224, on 07 January 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Pretty spot on .

CCM

CCM
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I used to think that we didn't block for him as well.  Because there is always a defender right in his way.  On at least 80% of his runs, there's a defender coming straight at him unblocked.  But, there's always an unblocked defender somewhere.  Other RBs run away from them or at least through them.  Ronnie Wingo runs to their location and gets tackled.

Knile will pound through people or run past them, and Dennis Johnson will avoid them or bounce off of them.  Wingo will go up and let them give him a hug.  It's infuriating.
Posted Image

"Norm MacDonald" said:

"In Virginia, police are looking for a stripper who stabbed a man for  telling her she was too fat to strip. Police warn that the woman is  armed and extremely fat."

Squealliam Fatner

Squealliam Fatner

'Cause I'm Captain Kirk, bitch. That's why...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
None of this pisses me off like him either,(1) running out of bounds to avoid contact, or, (2) falling to the turf untouched before contact. He plays running back like a Big East quarterback.

Edited by Squealliam Fatner, 07 January 2012 - 06:52 PM.

HmanHunt

HmanHunt
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I think he should switch to receiver he is so fast a still a weapon in the open field.  But ya he's been disappointing

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHmanHunt, on 07 January 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

I think he should switch to receiver he is so fast a still a weapon in the open field.  But ya he's been disappointing

I agree with this Hman,if he gets out in open space with his speed he's dangerous.He's weak running between the tackles,he really wants to bump outside and outrun everybody.Problem is,everybody in the SEC is fast.

But he seems to be better than when he first got here.Who knows,maybe he'll break out next year.

Edited by L.A.Hog, 07 January 2012 - 06:38 PM.

gchamblee

gchamblee
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
he is a horrible running back when handed the ball... he is a huge asset when pass blocking or receiving out of the backfield. i cringe when he is in the game instead of dennis johnson because i know we will be punting soon if someone hands him the ball.

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
He ran very tough in the cotton bowl.  He had nowhere to run.  Wingo would be very dangerous as a slot receiver, but i think he would be an all SEC free safety
Posted Image

razorhead

razorhead

The Devil You Know

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I cringe every time I see him in the backfield.  He is good catching the ball on screens and wheel routes, other than that not so much.  What I don't get is Petrino's insistance on putting him back there even though he proves time and again he can't get it done.

Posted Image

rwspear

rwspear

game recognize game and you lookin kinda unfamiliar right now

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I'm sure his seemingly permanent role in the backfield has a lot to do with Knile's injury. WIth Knile, Dennis, and Kody back next season, I sure hope Wingo finds a new home at another position. I'd hate to waste that much athleticism.