Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Directv Customers

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

ElephanTideis

ElephanTideis
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I have Directv HD and almost every time I turn it to ESPNU I get an Error 771 message. This is the only channel that gives me this message. The screen is black and I can't watch the channel. We have called cusotmer service several times and they don't know how to fix the problem. They told us things like unplug everything from the receiver and plug it back in, unplug it from the wall, reset the receiver, etc. Nothing worked.

This happened with both of our HD receivers but it happened more often with one than the other, and a guy my dad works with said he has the same receivers and has the same problem, so we figured it was an issue with the receivers. Anyway we have a technician come out and we explain the problem and he basically tells us the recievers aren't very good and that this certain line of receivers has been nothing but trouble. So he replaces the receivers with new ones and leaves.

The very next day we are having the same issue with these new receivers. So I go on the Directv forums and I read that it is a transponder issue but I did not see anyone offer a solution to the problem. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know how to fix it? We may switch to Dish Network over this because no one we have spoken with from Directv has been able to fix the problem or even knew what was causing it.

The error has occurred with several different channels but the only one I watch regularly is ESPNU and I can pretty much bank on getting the error when I turn it to that channel.

Edited by ElephanTideis, 29 December 2011 - 12:17 AM.

aTm 82

aTm 82
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
My friend next door had the same problem and the Tech said they had a million calls about this. Tech changed out all the splitters, replaced the powered multi-switch with a non powered one and changed the BBC filter. Pic has been good for 3 weeks now, but 2 channels have low volume and 4 channels have very scratchy or int. audio.

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I would check the splitters I had a problem like that in one of our bedrooms I'm thinking it was that same error code. Make sure you have clean copper on the coax and a good tight connection at all your splitters.

Edited by RammaJamma, 29 December 2011 - 03:46 AM.

"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

Squealliam Fatner

Squealliam Fatner

'Cause I'm Captain Kirk, bitch. That's why...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It's gotta be those receiver boxes. I still have the earliest version of the HD box ( big silver one) in my living room, and the older model of the DVR box in my bedroom. I've never had any issues.

Hoganknows

Hoganknows

NCAA Baseball National Champs 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Comcast never has that problem :)
Posted Image

UKat

UKat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I have the newest receiverd and that has happened a couple of times in the past 4 months. Open the panel door where the reset button is and take the card that is in the slot out and then put it back in, then press the reset button and let it reset and see what happens.

That fixed it for me one time....the last time though I called direc c.s. tech and they reset the receiver over the phone. Ive not had it do it since....not the 771  error. Aside from the occasional quirk, I love Directv....especially the new receivers...I think they are very good picture quality wise.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Repent, Turn from Sin and Trust in the Savior for your Salvation......this is the Way of the Master.Posted Image

[img]http://http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2251/joesnewlogobr4.jpg[/img]

A10Rebel

A10Rebel

brrrrrrrrttt....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
have you tried using a hammer?

nova

nova

Intergalactic planetary bulldawg!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
There's a section on the online account system where you can resend the package verification code or whatever it is to the receiver.  Might try that...

ElephanTideis

ElephanTideis
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRammaJamma, on 29 December 2011 - 03:45 AM, said:

I would check the splitters I had a problem like that in one of our bedrooms I'm thinking it was that same error code. Make sure you have clean copper on the coax and a good tight connection at all your splitters.

What is a splitter?

View PostUKat, on 29 December 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

I have the newest receiverd and that has happened a couple of times in the past 4 months. Open the panel door where the reset button is and take the card that is in the slot out and then put it back in, then press the reset button and let it reset and see what happens.

That fixed it for me one time....the last time though I called direc c.s. tech and they reset the receiver over the phone. Ive not had it do it since....not the 771  error. Aside from the occasional quirk, I love Directv....especially the new receivers...I think they are very good picture quality wise.

They actually had me do all that over the phone as well. I reset the receiver, removed the card, etc. I can't remember if they ever reset it for me over the phone though. I don't know what we're going to end up doing. I may have to live with it if my dad doesn't want to drop Directv over this.

View PostA10Rebel, on 29 December 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

have you tried using a hammer?

There were a few times when I punched and slapped the crap out of one of the ones he replaced because there would be a basketball or football game on or something that I wanted to watch on ESPNU lol

ElephanTideis

ElephanTideis
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostSquealliam Fatner, on 29 December 2011 - 05:21 AM, said:

It's gotta be those receiver boxes. I still have the earliest version of the HD box ( big silver one) in my living room, and the older model of the DVR box in my bedroom. I've never had any issues.

It's not the receivers. First we had the big silver ones and the tech guy replaced those with the small black ones and we still have the same problem.

Squealliam Fatner

Squealliam Fatner

'Cause I'm Captain Kirk, bitch. That's why...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostElephanTideis, on 29 December 2011 - 05:49 PM, said:

It's not the receivers. First we had the big silver ones and the tech guy replaced those with the small black ones and we still have the same problem.
Got me stumped.

SECats

SECats

Delusional Homer and Right-Wing Wacko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I was a HUGE DirecTv guy....not anymore.  DISH >>> Direct
2012-13 SECTalk Bowl Pick'em Champion
2012-13 SECTalk Biggest Homer Final Four

Benny

Benny

and the Jets

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Yeah sounds like defective splitters. Parents have DISH Network, but still, problem was similar and a new switch did the trick.

And agreed as above, DISH owns. Also Echostar (who owns DISH) is probably about to buy off T-Mobile and get their spectrum so they will have a lot of spectrum on land to go along with their fleet of satellites. I'm sure it won't all be dedicated to supplement their TV business, but it will be even better once the acquisition occurs.

Edited by Benny, 29 December 2011 - 05:55 PM.

Fire Bracky Brett

L.A.Hog

L.A.Hog

Go Hogs,Pilgrim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've had dish for 3 years now and have never had a problem,other than loss of signal during big rains.I'm not trying to sell their product,just saying I'm satisfied with it.

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostElephanTideis, on 29 December 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

What is a splitter?

Any connections you have from your satellite to your tv that look like this. It sounds crazy because it would seem if the signal was bad it would affect all channels not just a random ones. I thought that but had the same problem you're talking about and the splitters is what fixed it. I was at wits end about to call a tech when someone told me to check them. Hopefully this helps its a bad day around my house without tv...

Attached Files

"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!