Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

UTK goes from bad to worst

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

If it weren’t for what those seniors said after the Kentucky game and the subsequent reaction of those in Big Orange Country to those kids, this wouldn’t be seeing the light of day here. Those guys came out and publicly took a stand and in the process appeared bitter and petty. When truly all they did was care about their program. What follows is an attempt to clear the air. It’s not meant to pile on current student athletes. For that reason I hesitate to post this. Still, for those outgoing seniors and all others who have played at UT in the past and taken it seriously I’m posting this anyway. I’ve talked this over with countless former players and other concerned Volunteers before just throwing this up. They tell me it’s a story that needs to be spoken.

The following is a one shot deal look inside UT’s program. This is too painful to write and hear about on an ongoing basis. Therefore I’m not going to brow beat Derek Dooley and UT repeatedly over this. More so, I feel like we all need a little context to the season we’ve seen. Here you go. Again, I’m not wallowing in this after today. This is not a witch hunt. It is, however a tale that must be told here in Rocky Top

Watching Saturday’s Kentucky game left all of us shaking our heads. How did this Tennessee team possibly lose to lowly Kentucky? And many Tennessee fans were left questioning the effort they saw on the field from the Big Orange. At first I didn’t want to believe that Tennessee truly laid down in this game. These guys are competitors playing college football at the highest level. No way would these guys just lay down with a chance to play in a bowl game. After all, football players want to play football. Don’t they? Well, not everyone.

What follows is an attempt to answer some questions? What happened to Tennessee on Saturday? Are things as bad as they seem? Why would seniors take public jabs at their younger teammates on the way out?

I’ve spent several hours on the phone compiling a pretty good picture of what’s going on inside the football program at this point in time. What I’ve been granted an insider’s glance to is a program that is wrought with dissension. I’m talking player against player, coach against coach and player against training staff. This is more than just typical rivalries over offense versus defense in the coaching ranks or even personality conflicts. This goes much deeper. On the player side it’s not just a classic division over age, playing time or side of the football. UT football is a serious mess on and off the field.

One longtime member of the athletic department with inner knowledge of the football program told me the following on Monday evening. ‘I don’t know where to start. There are so many issues over here that need addressing besides talent on the football field. Dooley has his hands full. I’ve never seen a level of turmoil around anything the way it is here right now.’

Many were wondering what the outgoing seniors were talking about when they were mentioning younger guys concerned with their own agendas. Well, two guys they were definitely referring to are Tyler Bray and Da Rick Rogers.

Try this on for size: During the week of the Vandy game, Bray was asked in front of several upperclassmen by a member of the training staff if he completed a cursory workout exercise to which Bray shot back in the earshot of all ‘No. Not really. And I’m not going to do it. Why should I? Besides we’re only going to a shitty bowl game anyway.’ Sources tell me that the upperclassmen who heard this exchange were so incensed that they went to Derek Dooley who shrugged it off and did nothing about it. Another source told me that ‘Dooley shrugs several things off including the way Rogers back talks to everybody he possibly can.’ (More on this later).

This is apparently par for the course with Bray’s leadership or lack thereof on the football team. I don’t mean for this to be a hit piece on him but somebody has to tell the truth and back up the outgoing seniors who felt the need to speak up after the straw that broke the camel’s back. Bray could be the best QB in college football if he chose to work at it, but to this point he’s survived on a live arm and limited knowledge of the game. This is about taking seriously being a member of a team and abiding by rules that all leaders should lead through.

A source with access to Tennessee’s offensive coaches says they collectively shake their heads of Bray’s constant freelancing on offense. I was told the following ‘Offensive coaches say it’s a joke how many times Tyler just draws up plays in the dirt during games. He literally makes it up sometimes as he goes along. And nobody is going to do anything about it. He doesn’t listen to anybody when he doesn’t want to. It really is a joke. The plays he ran in the Vandy game before the overtime were all made up on the spot because he claims he couldn’t see coach Henshaw who was working the signals. You want to know why Coach Dooley let the clock run down? Because he didn’t trust Tyler to take care of the ball there. We could’ve had a field goal attempt there but Coach didn’t want to gamble there on Tyler just flying off the script.’

Another source told me ‘There has to be changes in the way this is going. There’s no way we can be successful from what I’ve seen and what I know if Coach Dooley doesn’t tighten this up. And I want UT to be successful. I’ve poured myself into this. It’s frustrating.’

On Rogers: Countless sources paint a picture of a guy who truly is allowed to operate in his own little world with little repercussion. Multiple sources say he’s constantly cussing and belittling Charlie Baggett his position coach with impunity. Say nothing of the way he talks to fellow wide receivers, other team members and support staff personnel. Jayson Swain and Wes Rucker were talking about him shouting at Baggett on the sidelines during the Kentucky game. I understand this goes on all the time. Not a one-time thing, but another day at the office. ‘This guy mouths off to anyone he can. If you got him on the show he would brag about it to ya. He doesn’t care.’

On the Kentucky game…..According to Randy Sanders off the record (got this through a couple folks who talked with him in the aftermath of the game), Tennessee let a QB beat them Saturday who was installed on Wednesday of game week as the starter. Sanders told one friend of mine in town that their converted WR had two full practices at QB and only ran 6 total plays. If this isn’t the bottom, what is?

Look, I don’t want Dooley fired. But he needs to clean this up and hold these kids responsible. These young men are crying out for attention. So, today they got some right here in the space. Hated to report it. Like I said, this is a one shot deal. What Dooley does with this getting out is his business. In fairness, Dooley is in a tough spot. That bench is pretty short. At the same time, you can't let guys just run you over constantly. Otherwise stuff like this gets out.

If you're angry with me writing this, so be it. But please understand I didn't do so in haste but did so in concern. Somebody needs to tell the truth. Otherwise issues aren't addressed. Guess that's why Dooley makes the big money.

Tony Basilio
UTK Class of '90
Vol For Life

After everything is said and done, more is said than done. - Noah

Letters

Letters

Stat Guru

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

Try this on for size: During the week of the Vandy game, Bray was asked in front of several upperclassmen by a member of the training staff if he completed a cursory workout exercise to which Bray shot back in the earshot of all ‘No. Not really. And I’m not going to do it. Why should I? Besides we’re only going to a shitty bowl game anyway.’ Sources tell me that the upperclassmen who heard this exchange were so incensed that they went to Derek Dooley who shrugged it off and did nothing about it. Another source told me that ‘Dooley shrugs several things off including the way Rogers back talks to everybody he possibly can.’ (More on this later).
A source with access to Tennessee’s offensive coaches says they collectively shake their heads of Bray’s constant freelancing on offense. I was told the following ‘Offensive coaches say it’s a joke how many times Tyler just draws up plays in the dirt during games. He literally makes it up sometimes as he goes along. And nobody is going to do anything about it. He doesn’t listen to anybody when he doesn’t want to. It really is a joke. The plays he ran in the Vandy game before the overtime were all made up on the spot because he claims he couldn’t see coach Henshaw who was working the signals. You want to know why Coach Dooley let the clock run down? Because he didn’t trust Tyler to take care of the ball there. We could’ve had a field goal attempt there but Coach didn’t want to gamble there on Tyler just flying off the script.’

makes Bray sound like a punk

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Letters, 30 November 2011 - 02:06 PM.

Letters

Letters

Stat Guru

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

On Rogers: Countless sources paint a picture of a guy who truly is allowed to operate in his own little world with little repercussion. Multiple sources say he’s constantly cussing and belittling Charlie Baggett his position coach with impunity. Say nothing of the way he talks to fellow wide receivers, other team members and support staff personnel. Jayson Swain and Wes Rucker were talking about him shouting at Baggett on the sidelines during the Kentucky game. I understand this goes on all the time. Not a one-time thing, but another day at the office. ‘This guy mouths off to anyone he can. If you got him on the show he would brag about it to ya. He doesn’t care.’

and this makes Rogers sound like a punk

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Letters, 30 November 2011 - 02:06 PM.

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
in before Hogan sprains his wrist masturbating over this thread
Posted Image

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
"Lovie Smith to Tennessee, done deal" - Tony Basillo, January 2010...

Vols4Life98

Vols4Life98
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This makes me feel like we need a new coach if this is true. Throw 5 mil at Jack Del Rio? I have no clue what we should do. Obviously Dooley doesn't have the respect of these players, if this is true. We need a coach with a Saban type attitude to put a foot in these kid's asses. Dooley seems a little soft and it reflects in on the players.
Posted Image

wellsea

wellsea
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostVols4Life98, on 30 November 2011 - 03:40 PM, said:

This makes me feel like we need a new coach if this is true. Throw 5 mil at Jack Del Rio? I have no clue what we should do. Obviously Dooley doesn't have the respect of these players, if this is true. We need a coach with a Saban type attitude to put a foot in these kid's asses. Dooley seems a little soft and it reflects in on the players.
It was written by Basillo so it is not true.

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Wow.  Tony's sure got the inside scoop w/Sanders.  Christ, I could have told him that, as could have any other Kentucky fan.   As for "lowly Kentucky", the Vols have been as bad or worse than we have the last 4-5 years.  Get over yourselves....this isn't 1998.
Posted Image

Boba Fett

Boba Fett

Atlanta's Resident Mandalorian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostVols4Life98, on 30 November 2011 - 03:40 PM, said:

If UT were to ever hire Jack Del Rio UT might as well burn down Neyland Stadium and shut down the football program. For the recored i fully expect Dooley to be fired after the 2012 Season.

Edited by Darth Neyland, 30 November 2011 - 05:58 PM.

Posted Image

Letters

Letters

Stat Guru

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Turmoil At UT As Fans Turn On Dooley, Stories Of A Divided Team Leak Out

Homepage | MrSEC.com

So what’s all the turmoil?  Try this:

* After the loss to Kentucky, more than one outgoing UT senior claimed that some members of the Vol squad care more about their stats than the team.  They suggested that not everyone wanted to play this past Saturday.
* Some Volunteers weren’t ready to volunteer for duty at a “lesser” bowl game according to one upperclassman.  “Why play hard in Lexington if the reward is simply a trip to Memphis or Nashville?”
* Rumors abound that the suspensions of four backups prior to last week’s game led to a near revolt among players as practices in Knoxville devolved into little more than walk-throughs.
* With no veteran leaders, players began to follow the best players on the team and unfortunately for UT fans, players like quarterback Tyler Bray and receiver Da’rick Rogers aren’t believed to have the best attitudes on the squads.
* To make matters worse, Dooley himself helped to create an air of negativity by spending a heckuva lot of time in the press ripping his players.  Reports from those close to the program say more than once players were ready to walk away from Dooley’s program as a result of being thrown under the coach’s bus.  (Like him or not, there’s not much about Derek Dooley’s demeanor that reminds one of his father, Vince.)

Edited by Letters, 30 November 2011 - 06:32 PM.

volimhtown

volimhtown

So sayeth the shepherd...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I don't know.... would anyone REALLY be surprised to hear that any of this is true? The complete lack of discipline ON the field is incredibly easy to see, why would a lack of it off the field be hard to fathom? Regardless of the accuracy about certain specifics, there are definitely problems in the program that extend beyond the field.

Which will lead me to start another thread....
Phyllis-But it is a big deal. You almost killed Stanley.
Dwight-Yeah right! I filled him full of butter and sugar for 50 years and forced him not to exercise!