Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Urban Meyer on Florida: "The program is broken"

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

FloridaGator

FloridaGator
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I want to start off by saying obviously this season was a disaster on all levels.

The lone bright spot is that we got some young players alot of experience and that will help us moving forward.

I keep reading and hearing from usually level headed people in Gator Nation blaming Coach Muschamp, Weis, Quinn etc for this disaster of a season.

The fact is Muschamp has NOT lost the majority of these players and they played hard for him and the staff against Florida State.  That is a very strong indication that he has not lost this team and players.  They're finally starting to buy into his vision for this program.

I'm not saying the staff doesn't deserve to be called out for some things but their hands were tied from the start and they talked about this privately.  One insider on another board posted this past summer that the staff was privately saying this was a 6-6 team.  They knew from the spring practices with the lack of depth and toughness at OL and DL it was really going to hurt us and they were right.  Muschamp and the staff are dealing with a bunch of babies that do not want to grow up and quite frankly are quitters and they will either grow up or they will be gone.

Urban Meyer left this program in a complete mess on and off the field.

First, losing Greg Mattison and then a year later Charlie Strong really hurt Florida from a recruiting and leadership standpoint.  They were/are great talent evaluaters and it showed in how bad talent evaluations were these past seasons.  In Meyer's last 2 years he lost complete control of this program.  Players were standing against coaches, forming cliques in the lockeroom and refusing to go to class or at times practice etc.  When Meyer realized he was losing control of the program I think that is when his health started to decline (and he still has problems) and he panicked because he had no clue how to fix it short term and didn't have the energy to stick it out and fix it.

IMO Foley was ready for Meyer to leave.  He and prominent boosters were tired of the garbage going on at Florida.

Foley wanted to hire a young, smart, energetic but strong willed coach.  Will Muschamp was that guy.

Before Muschamp accepted the job at Florida, he had a conversation with Foley/Meyer.  At some point in these conversations and this is now a fact per direct quotes from Meyer to the Gainesville Sun's Pat Dooley, Meyer admitted to Muschamp quote.....

"The Program is broken"

Still after knowing all of this Will Muschamp wanted to be the Head Coach at Florida and was/is determined to fix and clean the program up from the ground up.

Looking ahead now Muschamp officially fired 2 people on Monday from the staff.

Micky Marotti Florida's Director of Strength and Conditioning has informed the players that he will accept the job at Ohio State.

The fact is Marotti's strength program doesn't fit the style of football Muschamp wants in his program.  Some players and fans are going to be upset he's leaving but Muschamp already has in mind who he wants to run the strength program and he wants someone similar to what LSU and Alabama have.  Someone that really focuses on getting the players much bigger and stronger.  Marotti really focused on lean muscle and speed.

Muschamp calling the team what it is right now "soft" is and was a direct shot at Micky.  Muschamp was not happy with his job performance.

Muschamp wants bigger, mauler type OL and LB's with bigger size (240-250 range), speed and football instincts.  He wants DE's that are of the mold they had when he was on staff at LSU.

At some point as the Gators start adding much needed depth and size on the DL, you will see Florida start running more NFL style 3-4.

There are more changes coming to Florida and IMO these changes are going to be for the best in the long run.

Coach Muschamp knows exactly what he wants in this program.  We as fans need to be patient to give him that time to impliment those much needed changes.

Hang in there Gator Nation.  It's rough right now but this program will be back and built on a stronger foundation.

Edited by FloridaGator, 30 November 2011 - 08:26 AM.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Hi Carol, nice of you to join us.

FloridaGator

FloridaGator
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 30 November 2011 - 08:25 AM, said:

Hi Carol, nice of you to join us.

Huh?
Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFloridaGator, on 30 November 2011 - 08:27 AM, said:

Huh?

Just a joke.
There's a Mississippi State fan who constantly praises Rick Stansbury on here, and all the rest can only assume he is the guy's wife, Meo Stansbury.

After than lengthy write up throwing Urban under the bus, defending the team this year, inside information, and general sunshine pumping- I can only assume you are actually Carol Muschamp.

FloridaGator

FloridaGator
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 30 November 2011 - 08:32 AM, said:

Just a joke.
There's a Mississippi State fan who constantly praises Rick Stansbury on here, and all the rest can only assume he is the guy's wife, Meo Stansbury.

After than lengthy write up throwing Urban under the bus, defending the team this year, inside information, and general sunshine pumping- I can only assume you are actually Carol Muschamp.

LOL oh ok.  No not Carol plus I'm a male.

Not all of that was Urban's fault (see the point made of losing Mattison and Strong).

When you look to the roster and the OL's play for the past 2 seasons, it's clear this is not Muschamp's fault.

I didn't throw Meyer under the bus.  He (publicly) and others (privately) did that.

Urban Meyer knows himself that the majority of the issues lie on hs shoulders.

Now next year and so on, it begins to be Muschamp's responsibility where this program goes.

Edited by FloridaGator, 30 November 2011 - 08:56 AM.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFloridaGator, on 30 November 2011 - 08:52 AM, said:

LOL oh ok.  No not Carol plus I'm a male.

Not all of that was Urban's fault (see the point made of losing Mattison and Strong).

When you look to the roster and the OL's play for the past 2 seasons, it's clear this is not Muschamp's fault.

I didn't throw Meyer under the bus.  He (publicly) and others (privately) did that.

Urban Meyer knows himself that the majority of the issues lie on hs shoulders.

Now next year and so on, it begins to be Muschamps where this program goes.

Haha, I know.

I don't necessarily "blame" any one person for the position we're in now.
Am I upset with Meyer? Yes.
Am I upset with Muschamp? Yes.
Am I upset with our players? Of course.
Too many things have gone against us the last couple of years for the state of our program to be blamed on one person.

I've moved on from Meyer and support Muschamp 100%.
I wish we had a more disciplined team.
I wish he would give SOME access to the players and coaches. It's fine when you're winning to deny access, but when we are actually fielding the worst team we've had in 30+ years.... man do I get tired of the coachspeak.
He's going to make all the fans very restless when we aren't very good next season either.
I'm also getting sick of the false confidence to be honest. We play like crap week in and week out and he keeps telling the fans that we aren't that bad.
We are terrible and anyone with eyes can see that.

Edited by JoeGator, 30 November 2011 - 09:01 AM.

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostFloridaGator, on 30 November 2011 - 07:30 AM, said:

In Meyer's last 2 years he lost complete control of this program.

WTF? In 2009 you guys were 13-1, your only loss coming to the future Nat'l champs Alabama in the SECCG. I admire your attempt at blowing sunshine up Muschump's behind, but that is awfully ridiculous to say Meyer lost complete control of the program in a year in which you were one win away from being in the title game for a THIRD time in four years.

You lost Tebow and a shitload of playmakers after the 2009 season. Everyone here aside from the most positive-thinking Gator fans all knew they were due for a down year in 2010.

I sense that at the root of this post is really bitterness toward Meyer for leaving and now jumping back in a year later at Ohio State. Because it doesn't make a whole lot of damn sense otherwise.

FloridaGator

FloridaGator
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 30 November 2011 - 08:59 AM, said:

Haha, I know.

I don't necessarily "blame" any one person for the position we're in now.
Am I upset with Meyer? Yes.
Am I upset with Muschamp? Yes.
Am I upset with our players? Of course.
Too many things have gone against us the last couple of years for the state of our program to be blamed on one person.

I've moved on from Meyer and support Muschamp 100%.
I wish we had a more disciplined team.
I wish he would give SOME access to the players and coaches. It's fine when you're winning to deny access, but when we are actually fielding the worst team we've had in 30+ years.... man do I get tired of the coachspeak.
He's going to make all the fans very restless when we aren't very good next season either.
I'm also getting sick of the false confidence to be honest. We play like crap week in and week out and he keeps telling the fans that we aren't that bad.
We are terrible and anyone with eyes can see that.

Believe me you, I and most importantly Coach Muschamp agree on this.

He inherrited a very immature and un-disciplined team.

When he called the team "soft" after the FSU loss, that was a direct shot at Micky Marotti (now former Florida's S&C director).

The hard truth is we have alot of weak minded guys that when challenged will quit at the drop of hat.  Muschamp is not going to tolerate that and some of those players I think they (the staff) think will be more mature but there are some that will be ran off.
Posted Image

Robzilla

Robzilla

Do you feel like we do?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Unless I see a link or some sort of evidence, I'd say it is nothing more than internet speculation and rumor that Meyer said that the Florida program was "broken."

FloridaGator

FloridaGator
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 30 November 2011 - 09:04 AM, said:

WTF? In 2009 you guys were 13-1, your only loss coming to the future Nat'l champs Alabama in the SECCG. I admire your attempt at blowing sunshine up Muschump's behind, but that is awfully ridiculous to say Meyer lost complete control of the program in a year in which you were one win away from being in the title game for a THIRD time in four years.

You lost Tebow and a shitload of playmakers after the 2009 season. Everyone here aside from the most positive-thinking Gator fans all knew they were due for a down year in 2010.

I sense that at the root of this post is really bitterness toward Meyer for leaving and now jumping back in a year later at Ohio State. Because it doesn't make a whole lot of damn sense otherwise.

Yes we went 13-1.Tebow and Spikes were the leaders of that team but there were underlying problems within the team in 2009 but because of the leadership we had, those "problem guys" like Will Hill and others didn't have the guts to act up.

When we lost the leadership and of course the talent to the NFL to go along with Strong leaving that year hurt alot.  Meyer's health was starting to decline (and he does have serious problem even now) and that is when he lost total control.  There was no real leadership within the team or the coaching staff and that is when this program started to decline.

Prominent Florida boosters and alumni do not blame Muschamp for this and he has their support because they knew there were serious problems within the program before he got there and Jeremy Foley is starting to feel real, real pressure from them to fix this NOW!
Posted Image

FloridaGator

FloridaGator
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostRobzilla, on 30 November 2011 - 09:10 AM, said:

Unless I see a link or some sort of evidence, I'd say it is nothing more than internet speculation and rumor that Meyer said that the Florida program was "broken."

When Muschamp took the job at Florida, he was told on several occasions by Meyer, “This program is broken.”

http://www.gatorspor...29572?p=3&tc=pg

8th down in the article

Edited by FloridaGator, 30 November 2011 - 09:23 AM.

Posted Image

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Pat Dooley is about the most least credible sports writer in the business.

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
HNB, we should have been able to blow everyone out of the water with the team we had in 2009.
Instead, Meyer handed the offense to Addazio.
We averaged 10 points less per game in 2009 than we did in 2008 with the same roster.

On top of that, our defense wasn't playing as well either, so we had a ton of "close" games that shouldn't have been. I know winning is all that matters, but everyone knew something was wrong that year.

As far as this season being on Meyer's shoulders? No, I don't believe that.
Muschamp knew what he was walking into and chose to take on the challenge.
I think he was handed a program with a lot of issues, but I also don't think he's handled it as well as he could have, and I don't think the junk you're making up about him not caring about Mariotti or Pantoni is true either.

Are those the two he supposedly fired?

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Have to agree, Pat Dooley is awful.
I wish they would get someone younger in there who still enjoyed writing.

FloridaGator

FloridaGator
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostJoeGator, on 30 November 2011 - 09:27 AM, said:

As far as this season being on Meyer's shoulders? No, I don't believe that.
Muschamp knew what he was walking into and chose to take on the challenge.
I think he was handed a program with a lot of issues, but I also don't think he's handled it as well as he could have, and I don't think the junk you're making up about him not caring about Mariotti or Pantoni is true either.

Are those the two he supposedly fired?

Joe, I did not say this season was on Meyer's shoulders.  The point is the state of the program fall on his shoulders. Right of wrong.

I respect you on here and enjoy reading your posts but I don't appreciate you saying that I'm making stuff up.  I am not.

I didn't say that Muscahmp didn't care for Marroti or Pantoni (whom I never mentioned anyway).

I said he wasn't happy with Marroti and that is a fact.  The reason he wasn't happy was Marroti's job performance and the lack of toughness on the team overall and that does fall alot on the players themselves and Marroti.

As for Pantoni, I hated that news and don't think he was the one fired.  He is very tight with Meyer.  Someone else in the front office was.

Edited by FloridaGator, 30 November 2011 - 09:50 AM.

Posted Image