When will Tennessee win a big game again? - Page 4 - Tennessee Sports - SECTalk.com - Page 4

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

When will Tennessee win a big game again?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

Boba Fett

Boba Fett

Atlanta's Resident Mandalorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMrGamecockFan, on 28 October 2011 - 01:52 AM, said:

tennessee will start winning consistently again after dooley is long gone...
This^
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postuscrules, on 29 October 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

I am not so sure of that, I believe for the reason I stated that is why you have the majority of a teams players from their home state.

Actually, it's a lot less for that reason than you might think. Players frequently spurn the team they grew up pulling for because of the other reasons volimhtown listed. The real reason most kids stay in-state is so their families can come watch them play every weekend without an undue traveling burden.

There are obviously lots of different reasons recruits pick a school; but in addition to those listed by volimhtown, more and more I'm hearing recruits talk about the relationships they develop with the different programs' coaching staff, what the depth chart looks like, the offensive or defensive scheme the school runs and whether or not it fits their skill set, and who Mom and Dad like.

Visits are huge because prospects also talk about "feeling at home" the minute they stepped on campus, even if they've never been there before or been a fan of that program. They need to feel comfortable at the place they'll spend the next 3-5 years.
Posted Image

Hoganknows

Hoganknows

NCAA Baseball National Champs 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
DD said in this morning's paper that ...."We're not very good at anything"...now whose fault is that...you might better take a look at your self or who you surround yourself with....you can't blame the players for everything.
Posted Image

Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostGatorUnvrsty, on 29 October 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

Actually, it's a lot less for that reason than you might think. Players frequently spurn the team they grew up pulling for because of the other reasons volimhtown listed. The real reason most kids stay in-state is so their families can come watch them play every weekend without an undue traveling burden.

There are obviously lots of different reasons recruits pick a school; but in addition to those listed by volimhtown, more and more I'm hearing recruits talk about the relationships they develop with the different programs' coaching staff, what the depth chart looks like, the offensive or defensive scheme the school runs and whether or not it fits their skill set, and who Mom and Dad like.

Visits are huge because prospects also talk about "feeling at home" the minute they stepped on campus, even if they've never been there before or been a fan of that program. They need to feel comfortable at the place they'll spend the next 3-5 years.
Recruits, at least the cream of the crop, base their decision on what school is going to put them in the best position to get paid.  The reason the top 5% goes to Alabama for football is the same one the top 5% goes to Kentucky for basketball.  I understand the logic that mom and pop may be able to see you play, but when you're focusing on millions of dollars, you go where you know you have the best chance to get paid.  Period.
"At Kentucky, we don't just play college basketball. We ARE college basketball." - Coach John Calipari

MrGamecockFan

MrGamecockFan
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostPuddingTime, on 30 October 2011 - 07:18 AM, said:

Recruits, at least the cream of the crop, base their decision on what school is going to put them in the best position to get paid.  The reason the top 5% goes to Alabama for football is the same one the top 5% goes to Kentucky for basketball.  I understand the logic that mom and pop may be able to see you play, but when you're focusing on millions of dollars, you go where you know you have the best chance to get paid.  Period.

hmmm...well, i guess it did work for auburn and cam newton, lol...
Go Cocks!!!

2012 Homer of the Year 1st Loser (AKA Runner-Up)