When will Tennessee win a big game again? - Page 2 - Tennessee Sports - SECTalk.com - Page 2

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Countdown to Kickoff
DaysHoursMinutesSeconds
Countdown Jersey Thread

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

When will Tennessee win a big game again?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

UGA117

UGA117
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Best qb.Best WR duo.OK O line.Need a RB.And there O alone will give ANY team fits.

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUGA117, on 18 October 2011 - 09:12 AM, said:

Best qb.Best WR duo.OK O line.Need a RB.And there O alone will give ANY team fits.

Yep............Sounds word for word what I heard about State about this season.
Posted Image

UGA117

UGA117
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 18 October 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

From who?Mullen?That's crazy talk.

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostUGA117, on 18 October 2011 - 09:15 AM, said:

From who?Mullen?That's crazy talk.

Well, coming into the season, we had the most experienced QB in the West. We had all of our receivers back and our star running back. We had our entire defensive secondary back, and the majority of the D line, including two tackles that were supposed to be two of the best in the nation. We had a decent kicker coming back. The only places we were shaky were certain spots on the O line and at linebacker. Lots of people had us picked to make noise this year, not just Mullen.

Oh, and by the way, the guy who told you experience doesn't equal talent, listen to him.......Words of wisdom.
Posted Image

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Upperclassmen (RS-SO+) in 2 deep roster

Florida - 26
Georgia - 27
Auburn - 21
South Carolina - 27
Alabama - 30
Ole Miss - 24
Miss State - 28
Kentucky - 25
Vanderbilt - 24
Arkansas - 31
LSU - 29
Tennessee – 17

Rivals 4 and 5 Star Players currently on rosters
LSU 67
Bama 80
Florida 71
UGA 55
UT 36

Rivals 4 & 5 stars last two season + current (verbals) recruiting class
LSU 39
Bama 42
Florida 44
UGA 26
Tennessee 32

Considering the 2009 recruiting class was barely held together by Dooley less than a month after he was hired, he is doing a good job building back for the future.

Right now the Vols are not only young, but they have basically no depth and are competing against more talented teams.  If things go well for them next year they might be able to get 8 wins, but I would say 2013 is the soonest I could see them having a shot as a contender based off of the roster.
Overall I don’t think Tennessee fans understand how bad things got with both coaching changes.  We got sparse talent for two straight recruiting classes (we actually signed a nice class with Kiffin, but most of the players have left).  Kiffin didn’t get us NCAA sanctions but he basically gave us the same result.
It is dumb to want to fire Dooley at this point, if we still stink in ’13 then sure but no one could win in the situation that he took over.

Edited by Matt, 18 October 2011 - 10:51 AM.

ElephanTideis

ElephanTideis
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMatt, on 18 October 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

LSU 67
Bama 80
Florida 71
UGA 55
UT 36
I don't think it's that high yet.

View PostJoeGator, on 18 October 2011 - 07:17 AM, said:

Florida has 69 scholarship players now that Dee Finley is transferring.
We will not be good next year either.
So if you can't beat us in Neyland in 2012... y'all are in trouble.
If they don't beat y'all next year they never will. They are already never beating Bama again. :trollface:

TennesseeJed

TennesseeJed

SEC Nativist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
2012 will be the year Tennessee wins a big game, the soonest they will be at SEC Champion caliber level will be 2013. They can be one of the favorites for the east in 2012 with a good class and a healthy Hunter and Bray. The biggest issue is without Hunter and Bray, UT is at about 60% strength. If they were to lose Da'Rick that falls even more. I think UT would have beaten UGA with Hunter on the field and I think the same with USC. Depth is the biggest issue, and they won't beat anyone worthy until Dooley fixes that.

Posted Image

UGA117

UGA117
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 18 October 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

Well, coming into the season, we had the most experienced QB in the West. We had all of our receivers back and our star running back. We had our entire defensive secondary back, and the majority of the D line, including two tackles that were supposed to be two of the best in the nation. We had a decent kicker coming back. The only places we were shaky were certain spots on the O line and at linebacker. Lots of people had us picked to make noise this year, not just Mullen.

Oh, and by the way, the guy who told you experience doesn't equal talent, listen to him.......Words of wisdom.

I never said anything about experience.UTs players are just better than yours.They have talent at skill positions.

Matt

Matt

NashVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostElephanTideis, on 18 October 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

I don't think it's that high yet.

If they don't beat y'all next year they never will. They are already never beating Bama again. :trollface:
The numbers were from VolQuest (Rivals) they may be wrong, but typically its fairly accurate.

Based Potato

Based Potato

I wish I took my breakfast like James Hunt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 18 October 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

Word for word? From who?
Posted Image

Hoganknows, on 23 June 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

Tennessee will rise to the top very soon

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Oh, I forgot the Tennessee team that's been basically irrelevant in the SEC (the same of irrelevence as MSU) since 2007 can basically look down their nose at people now. You all know there was unjustified hype surrounding MSU this preseason, just like there is around UT.
Posted Image

Based Potato

Based Potato

I wish I took my breakfast like James Hunt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 18 October 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

Oh, I forgot the Tennessee team that's been basically irrelevant in the SEC (the same of irrelevence as MSU) since 2007 can basically look down their nose at people now. You all know there was unjustified hype surrounding MSU this preseason, just like there is around UT.
When did anyone with a brain ever rate Chris Relf above Aaron Murray? When did anyone ever rate MSU's WR corps as anything more than a tick above mediocre? You had high expectations because of Dan Mullen. Period.
Posted Image

Hoganknows, on 23 June 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

Tennessee will rise to the top very soon

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostMatt, on 18 October 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

Upperclassmen (RS-SO+) in 2 deep roster

Florida - 26
Georgia - 27
Auburn - 21
South Carolina - 27
Alabama - 30
Ole Miss - 24
Miss State - 28
Kentucky - 25
Vanderbilt - 24
Arkansas - 31
LSU - 29
Tennessee – 17

LSU 67
Bama 80
Florida 71
UGA 55
UT 36

Rivals 4 & 5 stars last two season + current (verbals) recruiting class
LSU 39
Bama 42
Florida 44
UGA 26
Tennessee 32

That literally means nothing. Florida and Georgia have the most EXPERIENCE according to that, and yet Florida and Georgia are both tied for 2nd most true freshmen played this year (behind Tennessee). I don't know if you've noticed - UGA is starting a sophomore QB, a freshman RB, the leading receiver is a freshman.... experience alone doesn't count for anything. Tennessee's problem isn't that they aren't experienced... it's that they aren't talented. Outside of Bray and Hunter, and that tight end who looks promising, there just aren't many playmakers on your roster.

Count up the star rankings all you want - the other teams in your division are recruiting those as well.

uscrules

uscrules
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostHobnailedBoots, on 18 October 2011 - 01:41 PM, said:

That literally means nothing. Florida and Georgia have the most EXPERIENCE according to that, and yet Florida and Georgia are both tied for 2nd most true freshmen played this year (behind Tennessee). I don't know if you've noticed - UGA is starting a sophomore QB, a freshman RB, the leading receiver is a freshman.... experience alone doesn't count for anything. Tennessee's problem isn't that they aren't experienced... it's that they aren't talented. Outside of Bray and Hunter, and that tight end who looks promising, there just aren't many playmakers on your roster.

Count up the star rankings all you want - the other teams in your division are recruiting those as well.
Good points, If you have a losing season and the entire team comes back that does not represent success on the field the next year.  Now if you won like 9 or 10 games and the majority of the teams are coming back then chances are your can count on a successful team. There are some highly talented kids coming in the SEC every year and if you don't get your share of them you still could be in trouble. I will take talent over experience any day.

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Postuscrules, on 18 October 2011 - 02:31 PM, said:

Good points, If you have a losing season and the entire team comes back that does not represent success on the field the next year.  Now if you won like 9 or 10 games and the majority of the teams are coming back then chances are your can count on a successful team. There are some highly talented kids coming in the SEC every year and if you don't get your share of them you still could be in trouble. I will take talent over experience any day.

Exactly. Georgia had a veteran team LAST year, and it amounted to 6 wins. We "helped" several veterans off the team and now have underclassmen starting in key positions on offense and defense, and we look to be improved. Talent > experience (experience only makes talent more consistent).

Yes, there is reason to believe that teams will improve when they are young and show signs of promise that may not show up in the "W" column, but you can't count on that just because they're young. They have to show some glimmers. I haven't seen many glimmers from Tennessee in the past two seasons, aside from wins against teams which you should be penciling in for wins anyway.

I'm not even saying this to be harsh on UT. I just don't think anyone expecting Derek Dooley to put together a championship team is being realistic.

Edited by HobnailedBoots, 18 October 2011 - 03:11 PM.