Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Dish Network vs. DirecTV??

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

TheRealBrave

TheRealBrave

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
DirectTV... and if having a TivO makes you a fag then you can call me Elton John.
Posted Image

It's Chubb time... no homo

WayzUp

WayzUp

Cynical Optimist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

the Paradox said:

Directv,s dvr is the best on the market. I had Directv for years and loved. The town I moved to has fiber optic internet and tv for a really good price hence I dropped directv.

RTR

I've had both Direct and Dish too & this is a fact...the DVR for DirecTV is so far and away superior to Dish's, it's not even funny.  We had to replace the DVR on Dish every so often because when it failed, it fubar'd the receiver so we'd be without TV at all until they sent over a new one.  

Direct was great for a long time too but we finally had to cave and switch to cable because the price for Direct was getting real close to $100/month and I couldn't justify it anymore.  I needed cable modem to work from home as often as I do so I kinda painted myself into a corner on the choice to switch.  

DirecTV has more satellites than Dish Network so you'll get a lot fewer signal interruptions due to weather.  Dish also broke some trademark of TiVo with the DVR they were using and I'm not sure if they've yet to figure that snafu out but DirecTV's sucks cuz you can't watch whatever you've recorded in any room but the one that has the DVR.  I suppose you could have a DVR in every room but eff that...

Comcast sucks though, I can say that with certainty....by far the worst setup of the three.  I pretty much stream 90% of what I watch through my Xbox - I only use Comcast TV for sports.

Let me get this straight. We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and will be fined for if we don't, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it but exempts itself from it, signed by a president who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese and financed by a country that's broke.

What could possibly go wrong?

carwwest

carwwest

Cowbell Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
good stuff...thanks for the opinions...i do remember liking the sports aspect of directv much more than dish but i did like the interface and speed of dish network more...

what about setting up at games??...which is easier??...

Posted Image

GTHOM

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I would go with cable if at all possible in case you want to watch tv when its raining. Ya know the time you can't go outside and do anything else? I have direct now but really miss my bundled charter with tv, phone, and internet.... nothing pisses me off more than getting interested in something and the tv scramble.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

UKat

UKat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I prefer Direct.....I love my Whole Home DVR, yes you can watch in ANY room what you recorded from one DVR....it's great, plenty of Sports Channels, NFL HD, NBA HD, MLB HD, NHL HD, NASCAR Hot Pass....and I think Direct had just a tad bit better Picture Quality...at least that's what I could tell from my Buddie's Dish setup. I have the Choice Xtra pkg. with the HD extra pack (Palladia, Sony HD, HDNET Movies, Universal HD, MGM HD, and 5 other channels I can't think of that are movie channels, it's $5 xtra but worth it.). I've recorded at least 25 concerts in the past 4 months...so those are loading up on my DVR lol, HDNET, Palladia and Audience Channel on Directv are great for concerts.

I also like the Directv Cinema...if your DVR receiver is hooked up to your internet, they have over 6000 movies you can download to your DVR in HD/ DD 5.1, some are free and others you pay for. It's a nice feature, good enough that I'm thinking about cancelling my Netflix acct.. I've got all the Fox Sports networks, SunSports etc.., like others have said, Direct is great for Sports...

Lastly, on Directv's Audience HD channel (it's a Directv ONLY channel), they have a great series called 'Damages'....Glenn Close, John Goodman, etc. are in it....in fact tonight is the premiere of the fourth season. Ultimately it's up to you and the channel lineup for either company that suits y'all the best..............I still think Direct is the better deal and BTW, you get HD for life free with Direct too...same as Dish, both companies require you to do 'AutoPay'....don't let anyone fool you on that.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Repent, Turn from Sin and Trust in the Savior for your Salvation......this is the Way of the Master.Posted Image

[img]http://http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2251/joesnewlogobr4.jpg[/img]

azamugg

azamugg

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:

RammaJamma said:

I would go with cable if at all possible in case you want to watch tv when its raining. Ya know the time you can't go outside and do anything else? I have direct now but really miss my bundled charter with tv, phone, and internet.... nothing pisses me off more than getting interested in something and the tv scramble.

it might've been awhile since you've had direct but I've only had television affected by rain twice in 6 years and that was just during the time it was coming down in sheets with a completely black sky........where when I had cable it went out 3 times a month
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Spunk

Spunk
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

azamugg said:

it might've been awhile since you've had direct but I've only had television affected by rain twice in 6 years and that was just during the time it was coming down in sheets with a completely black sky........where when I had cable it went out 3 times a month

must have been a while.. Charter goes out of service more than it works around here
Never to conquer, ever to yield.

the Paradox

the Paradox

Supergenius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Directv is much better in the area of reliabilty  in the modern era. And yes, you are a fagg if you pay for Tivo.

RTR
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I recently had to do a bunch of homework on the choice. Went with Dish; Direct was way too expensive. The DVR is definitely very cool; I already have 250 movies recorded on it. Their multi-sport package includes NFL RedZone, NFL Network, NBA TV, NHL Network, Big Ten Network, Fox Soccer Channel, Fuel TV, all the ESPN's, and 25 local sports networks for 7 bucks.

To have my current channels on Directv, my bill would be about $50 a month higher the last time I compared prices.
Posted Image

Based Potato

Based Potato

#3rdyearforwhat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
hahahahaha

People still use satellite dishes to get their TV

hahahhahahahaha
Posted Image all of you

Posted Image

carwwest

carwwest

Cowbell Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

ptclaus98 said:

hahahahaha

People still use satellite dishes to get their TV

hahahhahahahaha

yeah well i still have a tube tv!...for now...

Posted Image

GTHOM

RammaJamma

RammaJamma

Enjoying the Process

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

azamugg said:

I have Direct now and it just went out yesterday during a small storm that passed through. I've only had my reciever and boxes for around 5 months. My charter never went out every now and then my internet you had to reboot the wireless modem but that was it. We also have Direct in my office at work that usually scrambles every time it rains.
"I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships, Conference Championships, and National Championships. I love it here because that's not just what I want, but what this fan base expects." -Alabama Head Football Coach Nick Saban

ROLL TIDE!!

carwwest

carwwest

Cowbell Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
i will be living in cordova and from what i can tell, comcast is the only cable company available and i WILL NOT pay them for cable...

i like the directv sports but im thinking about going with dish cause its cheaper really and dvr is also cheaper from what i can tell...i dont have a job yet and we are paying for the wedding so every cent counts...my girl has a pretty sweet job though...sugar mama!

Posted Image

GTHOM

OneBigDawg

OneBigDawg
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've had both in the last few years and I like Dish Network the best. Cheaper than Direct, free HD channels for life and I like the DVR receivers better on Dish. A few other reasons as well that I won't go into here on the forum other than to say that their customer support is total shit and if they treat all of their loyal customers like they did me back when I had them they would be out of business in 6 months. Just do your research on both companies before you make up your mind and be sure of what you are really paying per month before you sign on the dotted line.
Hot damn here I am!!

Apes

Apes
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I run Directv for now. We are still stuck in the contract from when we "used" it in Japan. Dish seems pretty interchangable with Directv, depending your needs.

I have found quite a few channels that Directv has but Dish doesn't. Dish is more user friendly for multi-room setup's, Directv's DVR is by far more superior. You just need to decide what you need and pick the one that has it.

I, personally, am debating TWC in the area we are living now. It's half the price and offers free HD DVR...opposed to the two above. My only concern is the sports channels. I think TWC might deal with harsh blackouts and less selection of sports channels. Still have a month and half to decide before football season. :)
Posted Image