Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

NASCAR race in Kentuckistan = FAIL

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

zartan

zartan

Troll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Kyle Busch's NASCAR Sprint Cup win at Kentucky Speedway takes a backseat to the traffic nightmare - ESPN

Thousands of paying fans sit on I-71 for hours and miss half the race, only to be turned away once they reach the racetrack because there's no more parking. Nice infrastructure, Kentuckistan. you look positively 3rd world compared to the deep South.
Posted Image

GatorUnvrsty

GatorUnvrsty

AdminisGator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
. _ "Ethos Anthropos Daimon"

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
3rd world?  Bullcrap.  This shows just how stupid NASCAR has been to not give us a Sprint Cup race until now.  Before yesterday, I only followed NASCAR in passing.  I actually gave a crap yesterday and watched the race and plan on watching more of the season unfold.  The amount of traffic is due to the OVERWHELMING support for NASCAR in this state.  Now maybe Bruton Smith didn't quite realize that w/in 3-4 hours drive of Sparta you have Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Nashville, hell Knoxville and Memphis.

So not only do you have the entire Bluegrass State amped up and headed to Sparta, but you've got numerous major population centers full of NASCAR fans situated around the area.  Sure, we have good crowds for the Craftsmen races, but what do they really expect to happen on the 80 mile stretch of highway between freaking Louisville and Cincinnati that is already a heavy traffic corridor and then sending 200,000 vehicles there at the same time?  Won't be long now before we see a bill allocating funds to widen I-71, which is something I would advocate anyway.   I-75 here in Kentucky has been infinitely more traversable now that they've widened it.  Funny how it turns to crap as soon as you cross the Cumberland Gap though :D
Posted Image

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The fans just have to learn how to get there 2 days early and go on a drinking binge.

Posted Image

PuddingTime

PuddingTime

Stoops Does Work

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
They've been lining up to get in there since Tuesday.  Traffic was congested then.  The problem came about when all the "late" fans decided to try to get out there Thurs/Fri/and yesterday.  Essentially the core of diehard NASCAR Kentuckians knew to get there on Tuesday.  Folks like myself who are casual NASCAR fans but are really intrigued by finally having a "real" race to see planned on heading up there this weekend and didn't realize just how much interest there is statewide.  I wanted to go w/my friend and his wife who have a camper but I'm saving up my $ right now.

No matter what, I guarantee this will not happen again next year.  The racing was still good even if Kyle Busch won.  I've always liked Tony Stewart since he speaks his mind.  Of course I also wanted to see Michael Waltrip get the win....it'd be awesome to have a good ole Kentucky boy take home the inaugural Kentucky Speedway win.  And of course, I was rooting for Ryan Newman because he chose to honor Lexington police officer Bryan Durman, who was killed in the line of duty last year here and whom I graduated high school with:

Newman to honor fallen Lexington officer | Kentucky Speedway | Kentucky.com
Posted Image

w00k

w00k
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

I went home to Charlotte [Friday night]," Johnson said after the race. "It was my daughter's birthday. I was going to drive in this morning, but I heard there were problems, so I helicoptered in.

like a boss