Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Numerous Position Changes at UGA.. Is this Normal??

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

maddogxlt

maddogxlt

↓I'm in this photo!↓

• Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I am concerned...

I have never seen so many position changes in the off season as we are seeing on the UGA team this spring.

For those of you not keeping up here is the short list:

Alec Ogletree moves from Safety to Inside LB

Richard Samuel Changes Positions...Again

Cordy Glenn Moves to Tackle from Left Guard

Sanders Comings moves from CB to Safety

Jarvis Jones, Weakside LB to Strongside LB

DeAngelo Tyson, Nose Tackle to DE

Bruce Figgins, TE to FB

Justin Anderson, Nose  Tackle to OG

Brandon Burrows, DE to Inside LB

Cornelius Washington, Strongside LB to Weakside LB

Is this normal? Are any of you other SEC fans seeing similar things on your own teams?

In my opinion, this shows a disturbing lack of planning. Wtf has CMR been doing in Recuiting the past 3-4 years? Yes, we had the dream team this year, and thats great. But the impact of that class is 2-3 years away

It's not like we just lost bunch of juniors to the draft, just AJ Green and Justin Houston.

I can already see the excuses for when when we lose our 5th game next year:

“Well, the defense moved so many players around last spring that are still settling into their new positions. Coach Mark Richt says even though the game against Vanderbilt was lost, players are making progress adjusting to their new positions”

I hope I'll be proven wrong. Maybe, come November, we will have only one loss and the defense will be spectacular. But lets be realistic, its not like these players are scientists. They are creatures of habit, teach them one thing and over time they become exceptional at it.  We saw how well they adjust to change last year, with implementation of the new 3-4 defense. In the first half of the season most players (especially the secondary) just looked lost.

I’ve been a supporter of Mark Richt his whole career but another .500ish season is inexcusable, Mark Richt would have to go. Lets just hope he doesn’t land somewhere else in the SEC.
Posted Image GLORY GLORY..

JSHD

JSHD

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
That is definitely not normal. It is probably not the big deal you think it is though. Defensive players tend to understand the different responsibilities of their teammates and can be moved around easier than offensive players. Teams have achieved success in the past by moving defensive linemen around and moving defensive backs to linebacker spots.
Posted Image

The day the music died at LSU.

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

maddogxlt said:

I am concerned...

DeAngelo Tyson, Nose Tackle to DE

End was his natural position to begin with. He played nose last year because we lacked a pure nose tackle. It's not like he's learning anything new.

Bruce Figgins, TE to FB

Really the only radical position change.

Justin Anderson, Nose  Tackle to OG

Another player moving back to his natural position. Anderson filled in on the DL last year because we needed help. Guard is where he's more comfortable.

Brandon Burrows, DE to Inside LB

4-3 DE moves to 3-4 LB.

Cornelius Washington, Strongside LB to Weakside LB

That isn't really a position change.

Alec Ogletree moves from Safety to Inside LB

Where he can make more plays.

Richard Samuel Changes Positions...Again

Again, that really isn't a position change.

Cordy Glenn Moves to Tackle from Left Guard

This is common.

Sanders Comings moves from CB to Safety

A DB is a DB.

Jarvis Jones, Weakside LB to Strongside LB

Not a position change.

Is this normal? Are any of you other SEC fans seeing similar things on your own teams?

In my opinion, this shows a disturbing lack of planning. Wtf has CMR been doing in Recuiting the past 3-4 years?

Recruiting players to run a 4-3 defense. You might have noticed we hired a coordinator last year whose installing a 3-4 defense, that requires a different type of player than we were recruiting the past 4 years. Are you going ot rip him for not recruiting for a 3-4 defense in 2008?

Yes, we had the dream team this year, and thats great. But the impact of that class is 2-3 years away

It's not like we just lost bunch of juniors to the draft, just AJ Green and Justin Houston.

I can already see the excuses for when when we lose our 5th game next year:

“Well, the defense moved so many players around last spring that are still settling into their new positions. Coach Mark Richt says even though the game against Vanderbilt was lost, players are making progress adjusting to their new positions”

I hope I'll be proven wrong. Maybe, come November, we will have only one loss and the defense will be spectacular. But lets be realistic, its not like these players are scientists. They are creatures of habit, teach them one thing and over time they become exceptional at it.  We saw how well they adjust to change last year, with implementation of the new 3-4 defense. In the first half of the season most players (especially the secondary) just looked lost.

I’ve been a supporter of Mark Richt his whole career but another .500ish season is inexcusable, Mark Richt would have to go. Lets just hope he doesn’t land somewhere else in the SEC.

Can you wait until we've at least lost a game before you start up the "fire Richt" bandwagon again?

Edited by HobnailedBoots, 08 April 2011 - 12:08 AM.

MCD

MCD

His initials are Boyd Crowder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
The only change I'm worried about is Ogletree to linebacker.  And that's not because I think he can't succeed there, it's just that most of the time last season, he and Boykin seemed to be the only ones who knew what they were doing in the secondary.
Posted Image

timNem

timNem

I Need A Squeegee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Alabama does a lot of this, especially during the spring.
Posted Image

bulldawg28

bulldawg28
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Spring is the perfect time to make changes, if it doesn't work they usually go back to their original position.

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I agree with Boots.  They are getting the best players on the field and installing the 3-4.  I would actually be excited about the position changes if I were you.  Power running is headed your way.  Congrats to Crowell.

Posted Image

HFS

HFS

Everything is so Shakespeare to these Hoes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Think of it as them finally moving to their correct positions.
Posted Image

Robzilla

Robzilla

Do you feel like we do?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

timNem said:

Alabama does a lot of this, especially during the spring.

Yup. Hell last spring they even tried Julio out in the secondary if I'm not mistaken.  It's just trying to get a feel for getting the most out of what you have.  Besides, it's just the spring.  No need to hit the panic button until AFTER you've lost to Vandy.

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

United We Stand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
When you are trying to save your job you'll do anything.

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

carwwest

carwwest

Cowbell Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
nothing to eye popping there besides the amount of changes...hell, our back up DT might be our starting LT this year...

Posted Image

GTHOM

LSU PRIDE

LSU PRIDE

Baton Rouge State of Mind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
most of them changes seem minor shouldnt be nothin to worry about im sure the coaches did it for  a reason

Posted Image

#1 LSU

(12-0, 8-0 SEC)

next vs UGA

UAdan

UAdan

Puke, inside-of-a-pumpkin orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
We had to do a lot of this when we switched  to a 3-4 defense, too. A lot of DE's became LB's, DT's became DE's, some LB's even became safeties. The 3-4 defense requires a lot more size in your front seven because the linemen and linebackers need to have the bulk to take on the blockers. One prototype DE in a 4-3 is probably undersized as a DE in the 3-4. I wouldn't worry too much.

Blake "The Snake" Sims

Posted Image

ALABAMA FOOTBALL 2014

6-1 (3-1)

Next Game: @ Tennessee Volunteers

Knoxville, Tennessee

Neyland Stadium

Deserter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Auburn also has a lot of position changes. Some out of need, some out experimenting and trying to find the best fit for a position.

maddogxlt

maddogxlt

↓I'm in this photo!↓

• Members
  • Pip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Thanks for the replys fellas, I'm still not crazy about it, and I always take the rhetoric that "They are moving to there natural positions" or "They are going to move closer to the ball so they can make plays"  with a grain of salt. I'll come back to this thread in November and evaluate the changes... See ya then!
Posted Image GLORY GLORY..