Rejuvenated Spurrier: Just Getting Started - South Carolina Sports - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top High Fived

Top Bettors

Rejuvenated Spurrier: Just Getting Started

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

Zee

Zee

Throw salt on the snail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Steve Spurrier rolled in from a morning round of golf last week lamenting how poorly he was playing.

“Too many bad shots and not enough good shots,” exclaimed Spurrier, wearing that all-too-familiar grimace.

Now, anybody who truly knows Spurrier knows that he’s pretty hard on himself when it comes to his golf.

He’s the same way with his football team. And with South Carolina diving into its second week of spring practice on Tuesday, Spurrier can’t find a whole lot he doesn’t like about this team right now.

“We’ve got some really good players, some star players, and we’ve got a lot of players with really good attitudes,” said Spurrier, who led the Gamecocks to their first-ever appearance in the SEC championship game last season.

“When your best players are also your hardest workers, and I’m talking about guys like Marcus Lattimore and Alshon Jeffery, you’ve got a chance to have a really good football team. We have good leaders here. We don’t seem to have guys with their own selfish agendas that we’ve maybe had in the past.”

Don’t think for a minute that Spurrier is getting ahead of himself. He knows precisely what an SEC championship team looks like. After all, he coached six of them at Florida.

So he’s not necessarily predicting that South Carolina is poised to take that next step in 2011 or even that the Gamecocks will make a return trip to Atlanta.

But what is clear is that the Head Ball Coach, who turns 66 next month and is winding down a Hall of Fame career, sees a lot more football in his immediate future than he does golf.

Hey, he’s always going to have his clubs within an arm’s reach of his desk in his Williams-Brice Stadium office, but getting back on that big stage in Atlanta last season and reeling in the caliber of players the Gamecocks have the past couple of years has rejuvenated Spurrier.

And keep in mind that this is the same guy, at least in body, who admittedly was thinking his time on the sideline might be up following South Carolina’s embarrassing 31-10 loss to Iowa three years ago in the Outback Bowl.

“A lot of things go through your mind after a game like that,” Spurrier said.

A few months following that loss, though, the Gamecocks ignited a run on the recruiting trail that has brought them five of the most highly rated players in the state.

It started with cornerback Stephon Gilmore and Jeffery in that 2009 class. The Gamecocks had to beat the likes of Alabama and Southern California to get both players. Then it was Lattimore in the 2010 class, and he had everybody in the country knocking at his door.

And in this most recent class, the Gamecocks scooped up coveted offensive tackle Brandon Shell, who was a national recruit, and the country’s No. 1 overall prospect in defensive end Jadeveon Clowney.

“When I travel around the country, people say, ‘How much longer are you going to do this?’” said Spurrier. “I say, ‘I really believe our program is just now getting started.’ With Lattimore, we went from seven wins up to nine, and it could have easily been 10. When Jadeveon comes in here, maybe nine will go from 11 or more.

“If we can get our quarterback situation straightened out and find somebody everybody can rally around, we have a chance.”

The quarterback situation, as Spurrier refers to it, has been the fly in the ointment ever since he arrived in Columbia.

“We just haven’t had the quarterback here that I think we can have,” Spurrier said. “We’ve made some mistakes in recruiting, and I have to do a better job of coaching them.”

That said, Spurrier is excited about sophomore Connor Shaw’s start to spring practice and is also eager to see how senior Stephen Garcia responds from his suspension last week. Garcia had a big season numbers-wise a year ago, but Spurrier is hardly sold on Garcia being the Gamecocks’ starter again in 2011.

That decision will be decided on the practice field this spring and will likely carry over into preseason practice in August.

“We just have to find a quarterback everybody can rally around,” Spurrier said.

After toying with delegating play-calling responsibilities for parts of the past three seasons, Spurrier says it’s time that he take the whole thing back over this coming season.

Just who’s been calling the plays has been a hot-button topic among South Carolina fans the past few seasons. Spurrier said he’s been more involved than a lot of people think, but that it’s also been more by committee.

“I called most of them last year, and [quarterbacks coach] G.A. Mangus would take over some,” Spurrier said. “But I feel like I’m going to do it this year. I feel like I can still do it and feel like I can do it better than anybody, and that’s what I should do.

“I’ve tried to let other guys call plays, but it doesn’t work. We don’t go anywhere. We struggle, and I sit over there saying, ‘What the heck I am doing over here? I’m not contributing to anything.’

"Any coach that got to be a head coach by calling plays, I don’t know how they are able to not do it. But a lot of them give up play calling when they become a head coach, and really, there’s not a lot to do over there on the sideline but say, ‘Go for it or punt.’

“Very few head coaches are calling plays anymore. [Bobby] Petrino and I are about the only two. I just sort of thought that maybe I’d delegate that out and away we’d go, but it didn’t work very well.”

South Carolina fans can also expect to see more of the vintage Spurrier passing offense he ran at Florida mixed in with the zone-read package that was so successful with Lattimore running the ball last season.

Spurrier would like to get to where it’s about a 50-50 mix, making it difficult for defenses to know what’s coming.

“I think we’ll be about half of the zone-read stuff and about half of the I-formation stuff that I grew up learning how to coach with the quarterback making some audibles here and there,” Spurrier said. “We didn’t audible much at all last year.

“We’re going to do both next year.”

Something else the Gamecocks are going to do this coming season, at least according to some of those star players who helped to rejuvenate Spurrier, is finally finish a season.

Even with the historic trip to the SEC championship game last season, the Gamecocks wound up losing their last two games and lost for the third straight year in their bowl game.

“We got a taste of it and aren’t going to settle for anything less,” said Lattimore, who earned national freshman of the year honors. “This team knows exactly what it wants, and we’re going to do whatever it takes to get it.”

Added Jeffery: “We’re on a mission, and it’s not just getting to Atlanta.”

Spurrier’s a little less specific about what 2011 might bring for the Gamecocks, but his goal of bringing South Carolina its first-ever SEC championship certainly hasn’t changed.

If anything, that fire burns brighter than it ever has.

“I’d like to win an SEC championship here,” Spurrier said. “I feel like I’ve got three or four more years left ... easy. I’ve got a good coaching staff, good players and super leaders. It’s not like I’m burned out or stressed out.

“Plus, with the way I’m playing golf lately, it’s a good thing I don’t have to play golf every day.”

Chris Low

Rejuvenated Spurrier: Just getting started - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN
I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

foxflyer5

foxflyer5

I hate that guy.

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
is it september yet?

Posted Image

razorhead

razorhead

The Devil You Know

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I heard he was gonna retire after this season.

Posted Image

uscrules

uscrules
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

razorhead said:

Don't think so.

ConwayGamecock

ConwayGamecock

Your Ad Here

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I always like to see/hear/read of Spurrier being excited about the coming season's prospects, but I'm hoping that our players are truly looking to give every effort to make 2011 a special season. I know they really took huge steps forward in attitude and commitment, team-wise.......for the most part, anyways. In a way that's not saying too much considering the team attitude in seasons past, but in a way it was also encouraging. Hopefully they continue in this vein and not let the small successes of last season go to their heads.....

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:

razorhead said:

I heard that, too.

A. Pilgrim

A. Pilgrim
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

HobnailedBoots said:

I heard that, too.

Either way- you'd still have to deal with Lattimore for at least an additional year after this one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

HobnailedBoots

HobnailedBoots
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:

The Dude said:

Either way- you'd still have to deal with Lattimore for at least an additional year after this one.

Stop it. The nightmares just recently ended.

ConwayGamecock

ConwayGamecock

Your Ad Here

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Really, everyone is going to "hear" of Spurrier retiring every off-season he coaches until he actually does retire......the rumors of him leaving USC to go to another program has only recently died down, with his repeated denials year after year and the seasons flying by...

Eventually, we all know that Spurrier is going to stop coaching...it's an inevitability for all coaches. But with how good he feels about Shaw as a starting QB, with star players like Lattimore and future star players like Clowney coming into the program, Spurrier has got to feel like any chance at success at USC is going to be the best now and in the next 2-3 seasons.

I feel like after 2-3 more seasons he's calling it quits. I don't see him leaving after next season....

JohnRambo

JohnRambo

The Ice-Cream Man

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

lacene said:

I don't see him leaving after next season....

I don't either. I think his contract is through 2013.

Superman never made any money

Saving the world from Solomon Grundy

And sometimes I despair the world will never see another man

Like him

uscrules

uscrules
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Spurrier will leave when he is ready to leave, not before.

TigerWalk

TigerWalk
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I've always liked Spurrier. Hope he stays around for at least a few more years.

foxflyer5

foxflyer5

I hate that guy.

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

“I feel like I’ve got three or four more years left ... easy. I’ve got a good coaching staff, good players and super leaders. It’s not like I’m burned out or stressed out."

that sounds about right to me.  i see him renewing his contract for a couple years (or maybe year to year) after this one ends.  he is certainly going to see out Lattimore's years at SC.

Posted Image

JoeGator

JoeGator
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
At least all the Carolina fans who wanted him fired are nowhere to be found this offseason.

Yellow

Yellow

Dood

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

JoeGator said:

At least all the Carolina fans who wanted him fired are nowhere to be found this offseason.

Yeah where are the haters at?

i was one of them...