Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Latest Topics

Latest News

Top Bettors

Top High Fived

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

- - - - -

1985 replies to this topic

WadeWilson

WadeWilson

SECTalk Private Dick

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 24 April 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

This is off topic, but I am thinking about taking my back yard pool from salt to chlorine I guess you would say even tho salt pools technically are chlorine pools. I've got some PH balance in it now and dropped a handful of chlorine tabs in the skimmer. Water is pretty clear, but the lady at the pool store told me I would need to add about a 11/2 lb of shock every week at the height of the summer. Do you think me making the switch was smart?

Wow lol you've got a good memory haha.

You are correct, salt pools are chlorine pools, it's just how the pool gets the chlorine is different. Salt pools are more convenient than traditional pools, but have drawbacks as well. The major issue with salt pools is the corrosive nature of salt. Even pools with a zinc anode ("sacrificial" anode to try to reduce corrosion) are noticing major corrosion years after installation.

My recommendation would be, if it isn't a major hassle to you, I'd get away from salt. Pool salesmen will tell you corrosion isn't a problem, but it is. And yea, you should be shocking your pool weekly if you aren't using salt (I recommend it even if you are on salt, just in smaller quantities). Do you know how many gallons your pool is?

Also, only ever use the following types of shock: calcium hypochlorite, lithium hypochlorite, potassium monopersulfate. Anything else has other additives that you don't want (don't trust anyone who tells you otherwise). The other types of shock are usually marketed as 3-in-1, 4-in-1, etc., which sounds great (they have algicide and clarifier and more!), but in reality they are terrible at fighting algae. It's more marketing than anything.

Any more questions you have, shoot me a pm. I can talk pools all day, as sad as that is.

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostWadeWilson, on 24 April 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

Wow lol you've got a good memory haha.

You are correct, salt pools are chlorine pools, it's just how the pool gets the chlorine is different. Salt pools are more convenient than traditional pools, but have drawbacks as well. The major issue with salt pools is the corrosive nature of salt. Even pools with a zinc anode ("sacrificial" anode to try to reduce corrosion) are noticing major corrosion years after installation.

My recommendation would be, if it isn't a major hassle to you, I'd get away from salt. Pool salesmen will tell you corrosion isn't a problem, but it is. And yea, you should be shocking your pool weekly if you aren't using salt (I recommend it even if you are on salt, just in smaller quantities). Do you know how many gallons your pool is?

Also, only ever use the following types of shock: calcium hypochlorite, lithium hypochlorite, potassium monopersulfate. Anything else has other additives that you don't want (don't trust anyone who tells you otherwise). The other types of shock are usually marketed as 3-in-1, 4-in-1, etc., which sounds great (they have algicide and clarifier and more!), but in reality they are terrible at fighting algae. It's more marketing than anything.

Any more questions you have, shoot me a pm. I can talk pools all day, as sad as that is.

Awesome, man. Thanks for the advice. I had bought some of that 6-1 clorox shock at Walmart, and it did absolutely nothing. lol Just like you said. The lady at the pool store was like, "It's mostly filler and very little actual shock." She said the exact same thing you did.
Hail State anyway.

WadeWilson

WadeWilson

SECTalk Private Dick

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View Post1dawgfan09, on 24 April 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

Awesome, man. Thanks for the advice. I had bought some of that 6-1 clorox shock at Walmart, and it did absolutely nothing. lol Just like you said. The lady at the pool store was like, "It's mostly filler and very little actual shock." She said the exact same thing you did.

Yep. The chemical is sodium dichlor, and it has very little chlorine. Terrible at being shock, basically.

Most hardware/big box stores sell it because it's cheap (although, usually, pool stores can get cal hypo for cheaper than what WalMart sells their stuff for), but they have no clue what it is. Most independent pool stores try to do the right thing, but honestly the pool industry has such a bad rap that it's hard for me to say honestly that it's even a good idea to go to one. But, it sounds like whoever you talked to knows what she's talking about so I'd start there for sure. And if you ever have questions about what someone tells you, just let me know and I can let you know if you're getting the truth.

1dawgfan09

1dawgfan09

Go strong or don't go.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

View PostWadeWilson, on 24 April 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

Yep. The chemical is sodium dichlor, and it has very little chlorine. Terrible at being shock, basically.

Most hardware/big box stores sell it because it's cheap (although, usually, pool stores can get cal hypo for cheaper than what WalMart sells their stuff for), but they have no clue what it is. Most independent pool stores try to do the right thing, but honestly the pool industry has such a bad rap that it's hard for me to say honestly that it's even a good idea to go to one. But, it sounds like whoever you talked to knows what she's talking about so I'd start there for sure. And if you ever have questions about what someone tells you, just let me know and I can let you know if you're getting the truth.

Thanks, man. You're one of the good ones.
Hail State anyway.

bbqit

bbqit
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

foxflyer5, on 23 April 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

ive been watching 47 Ronin in 15 minute increments.   it's the worst movie ever,  but I have to support keanu.

Didn't he grow up in beruit?
Du-te la dracu 'LSU

TrueGCFan

TrueGCFan

Duck Dynasty Bowl Here We Come

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Let's Be Cops: 7/10

2012 SECTalk Bookie Champion

2011 SECTalk Fantasy Football League Champion

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American soldier. One for your soul, the other for your freedom -author unknown.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users