Tribute to Coach Bryant - January 26, 1983 - Alabama Sports - SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Tribute to Coach Bryant - January 26, 1983

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It was a cold rainy day in Tuscaloosa when I overheard a couple of students discussing something sacrilege after leaving my cost accounting class, so I called the radio station to confirm.  

Without even mentioning his name, I asked, " I need to confirm a rumor that I just heard..." Without missing a beat, the voice said, "It's true. Coach Bryant died this morning at Druid City Hospital."

Do you remember where you were when you heard the news?
After everything is said and done, more is said than done. - Noah

SECorBust

SECorBust
  • Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I was 5 years old and hadn't become that interested in football yet, but I do remember where I was when I watched the Space Shuttle Discovery blow up live on TV and where I was when the two towers collapsed live on TV.

Coach Paul Bear Bryant contributed a great deal to the game and is possibly the greatest legendary coach there will ever be, but his death is not as important as other tragic events that we say "where were you when" about.  The Kennedy assination was one such event.  Paul Bryant lived a pretty full life and health problems caught up to him.  He pretty much died coaching or died from coaching and there's true grit and passion in that.

Posted Image

azamugg

azamugg

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
I was a senior in HS and we had just finished our season.....coach called a team meeting lol, to get us out of class
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Chalk

Chalk

I'll get inside your face

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I was prolly shittin' my diaper somewhere.
Posted Image

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
It suddenly occurred to me that 99% of the folks on this board have only seen the Bear on video.  Suddenly I feel very old...

There is no way to explain the national adoration of the Bear.  He was much, much bigger than life.   You would not believe the national audience for 315 and then 316.  

Then for the next two weeks after his death, most TV programming was interrupted with life stories of the Bear.

My most vivid recollection is racing to the student section of Legion Field to save seats.  The pre-game ritual was for the players to walk the sidelines while still in street clothes.  And Coach Bryant would always bring up the rear, shuffling along wearing his Amana fishing cap (houndstooth fedora was reserved for the one or two TV games each year).

And when he reached the student section, the twenty or so students would stand and clap.  And he always seem a bit surprised.

Edited by Noah.Dreams, 26 January 2011 - 10:59 AM.

UA1221

UA1221

Roll Tide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I wasn't alive....I hate that I never got to see him in person....on tv....or coach a game....
Show class, have pride and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Coach we still miss you.

Noah

Noah

Founding Member

• Members
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

ShortyPrice

ShortyPrice

vote for me for guvnuh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
I was at my parent's house, recovering from surgery during my sophomore year of college.

"Shorty, Shorty, he’s our man. George Wallace belongs in the garbage can." - Shorty Price Campaign Slogan

Born after the 70s? Learn about Shorty here

And in this YouTube Video