Welcome to SECTalk.com

Welcome to SECTalk.com -- The Home of 6 Straight National Titles!

You are currently accessing our site as a guest which means you can't access all of our features such as social groups, sports betting, and many more. By joining our free community you will have access to all of these great features as well as to participating in our forums, contacting other members, and much more. Registration only takes a minute and SECTalk.com is absolutely free, so please join today!

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please contact us.

Bama Coach Managing Emotions on Return to LSU

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

GeauxTo

GeauxTo

Super Moderator (Best Poster 2007)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
Mitch Gaspard has coached long enough and made enough stops along the way that he won’t be overwhelmed with nostalgia tonight when his Alabama baseball teams takes the diamond at Alex Box Stadium against LSU in the opener of a three-game SEC series.

Not that he won’t have to manage a swirl of emotions.
“Any time you come back to a school where you played and you’ve got so many ties, there’s always emotions that run high,” the 44-year-old Alabama coach said Thursday. “You always want your team to play well, but there’s a little more involved when I come back here.”
Gaspard’s well-recited story — he dubbed it his claim to fame — is that he was the first recruit who signed on in 1984 with new LSU coach Skip Bertman.

The final decision for Gaspard came after a conversation with Bertman in his “new” coaching office that June.

“I can still remember Skip sitting down and telling me this is what it’s going to be like,” Gaspard said. “We were sitting in a ratty old stadium with the bleachers falling down, the couches in the locker room had holes in them and Skip was telling me we were going to have a new locker room and were going to get 8,000 people in the place to watch us every night.”
As tough as that might’ve been for a 19-year-old to believe and embrace, not surprisingly Bertman sold his product well.

Gaspard believed Bertman would get the Tigers headed in the right direction. He wasn’t sure how quickly, nor did he know at the time he wouldn’t be around to experience the early stages of the renaissance.
After Gaspard played in 1984 and ’85, the influx of talent Bertman and Smoke Laval lured to the program created a talented infield logjam. Gaspard transferred after his sophomore season — it was mutually amicable — to Houston and started for two seasons.

But Gaspard’s two seasons were the early framework of Bertman’s 18-year masterpiece, including LSU’s first regional team under Bertman in 1985.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Night Time is the Right Time

jacobp

jacobp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
This could turn out to be one of the better series of the weekend.  LSU pitching hasn't been dominant with the exception of Renaudo, and Alabama swings some pretty heavy sticks.  Could be a high scoring weekend.
Posted Image

SheLuvsBama

SheLuvsBama

Take the highway to the end of the night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:
And so the Alabama/LSU ties continue.....:laugh:
Posted Image

GeauxTo

GeauxTo

Super Moderator (Best Poster 2007)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

jacobp said:

This could turn out to be one of the better series of the weekend.  LSU pitching hasn't been dominant with the exception of Renaudo, and Alabama swings some pretty heavy sticks.  Could be a high scoring weekend.

Agreed.  I am a little leery of Ranaudo.  He hasn't looked all that hot to me.  Also, I think Mainieri  learned his lesson at Auburn in not going to closer Matty Ott sooner.  I think we'll see Ott as early as the 8th if the game is close.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Night Time is the Right Time

Bamamoss

Bamamoss
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Cash:
  • High Fives:

GeauxTo said:

Mitch Gaspard has coached long enough and made enough stops along the way that he won’t be overwhelmed with nostalgia tonight when his Alabama baseball teams takes the diamond at Alex Box Stadium against LSU in the opener of a three-game SEC series.

Not that he won’t have to manage a swirl of emotions.
                                                                            “Any time you come back to a school where you played and you’ve got so many ties, there’s always emotions that run high,” the 44-year-old Alabama coach said Thursday. “You always want your team to play well, but there’s a little more involved when I come back here.”
                                                                            Gaspard’s well-recited story — he dubbed it his claim to fame — is that he was the first recruit who signed on in 1984 with new LSU coach Skip Bertman.

The final decision for Gaspard came after a conversation with Bertman in his “new” coaching office that June.

“I can still remember Skip sitting down and telling me this is what it’s going to be like,” Gaspard said. “We were sitting in a ratty old stadium with the bleachers falling down, the couches in the locker room had holes in them and Skip was telling me we were going to have a new locker room and were going to get 8,000 people in the place to watch us every night.”
                                                                            As tough as that might’ve been for a 19-year-old to believe and embrace, not surprisingly Bertman sold his product well.

Gaspard believed Bertman would get the Tigers headed in the right direction. He wasn’t sure how quickly, nor did he know at the time he wouldn’t be around to experience the early stages of the renaissance.
                                                                            After Gaspard played in 1984 and ’85, the influx of talent Bertman and Smoke Laval lured to the program created a talented infield logjam. Gaspard transferred after his sophomore season — it was mutually amicable — to Houston and started for two seasons.

But Gaspard’s two seasons were the early framework of Bertman’s 18-year masterpiece, including LSU’s first regional team under Bertman in 1985.

GeauxTo, I just hope Bama brings it's best and we have a good series.  Glad to have Gaspard at Bama.  Roll Tide Roll (please)!!!
"May the Tide Be with You"